totallackey

Re: Trump
« Reply #5980 on: July 23, 2020, 10:40:47 AM »
You were writing about how "most of the country believes..."this," or "most of the country believes..."that."

Not what I said.
Of course not...

"Months ago, most everyone, including the media, accepted that masks were A GOOD THING. Most, apart from Trump and his cult of GOP, and a few "but mah freedumbs" wackjobs in Starbucks and the like...."

Yeah, you didn't mean what you wrote.

Online honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: July 23, 2020, 04:46:30 PM »
I've seen some weird Trump fans claim that now that Trump is wearing a mask, liberals and the media will suddenly say that masks are unnecessary and bad and push back against their use. That's a very dubious idea, but I guess they'll say anything to keep up the pretense that Trump is playing 4D chess and doesn't actually have no idea what he's doing.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: July 25, 2020, 08:43:32 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/24/opinion/trump-test-people-woman-man-camera-tv.html

This really has been part of Trump's playbook from Day 1: Avert attention from the real atrocities he's committing by saying something deranged and throwing it out there for the media to enjoy. It's pretty effective, like throwing a ball of yarn at a kitten. He stole the strategy from Newt Gingrich as I understand it.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: July 26, 2020, 12:18:16 PM »
He's spending the weekend golfing again.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: July 27, 2020, 08:56:31 AM »
Trump in claiming things which just aren't true shock exclusive

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/donald-trump-falsely-claims-america-22315486
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5985 on: July 27, 2020, 11:27:28 PM »
Incorrect.

Americans harnessed electricity, split the atom, and gave the world the telephone and the internet. We settled the Wild West, won two World Wars, landed American Astronauts on the Moon—and one day soon, we will plant our flag on Mars!

Harnessed Electricity - Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Edison, both Americans

Split the Atom - This is most typically refers to nuclear reactions and harnessing the large amount of energy in that process, rather than a laboratory experiment of converting nitrogen atoms to oxygen atoms. Legacy of Los Alamos: "While the Germans were first in splitting the atom, America was first in creating a nuclear chain reaction on December 2, 1942." America was also the first to open a nuclear power plant.

Telephone - Invented by Alexander Graham Bell, an American

Internet - Your article admits "American Paul Baran and Brit Donald Davies are often credited as founders of the Internet"

Settled the Wild West - America did that

Won Two World Wars - America is often credited as most instrumental in WWII. Per WWI - Time Magazine: "What saved the day? The Americans."

Astronauts on Moon - America claimed that
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 01:33:10 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: July 28, 2020, 04:13:02 AM »
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/509291-yankees-surprised-by-trump-announcing-plans-to-throw-first-pitch

Trump was so jealous of the attention Fauci was getting for throwing out the first pitch in a game he had to lie about having set up a date to do so himself.

Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States of America.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: July 28, 2020, 04:17:36 AM »
Incorrect.

Americans harnessed electricity, split the atom, and gave the world the telephone and the internet. We settled the Wild West, won two World Wars, landed American Astronauts on the Moon—and one day soon, we will plant our flag on Mars!

Harnessed Electricity - Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Edison, both Americans

Split the Atom - This is most typically refers to nuclear reactions and harnessing the large amount of energy in that process, rather than a laboratory experiment of converting nitrogen atoms to oxygen atoms. Legacy of Los Alamos: "While the Germans were first in splitting the atom, America was first in creating a nuclear chain reaction on December 2, 1942." America was also the first to open a nuclear power plant.

Internet - Your article admits "American Paul Baran and Brit Donald Davies are often credited as founders of the Internet"

Won Two World Wars - America is often credited as most instrumental in WWII. Per WWI - Time Magazine: "What saved the day? The Americans."

Tom, surprising no one, did not read the article.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: July 28, 2020, 07:39:45 AM »

Alexander Bell was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, on March 3, 1847
At an early age, he was enrolled at the Royal High School, Edinburgh, Scotland, which he left at the age of 15
At the age of 16, Bell secured a position as a "pupil-teacher" of elocution and music, in Weston House Academy at Elgin, Moray, Scotland. The following year, he attended the University of Edinburgh
In 1870, 23-year-old Bell travelled with his parents and his brother's widow to Paris, Ontario.
He later moved to America.

Yes, I'll give you the genocide of native Americans I suppose. Well done.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: July 28, 2020, 09:58:49 AM »

... which they could not have done without the kick-start of hiring the team of German rocket scientists who had the rocket capability and expertise that was totally absent from allied countries in WW2.

Bear in mind the Russians did not have a ready-made team that they imported from Germany, and they STILL managed to land a series of unmanned missions on the Moon ahead of the USA.

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5990 on: July 28, 2020, 10:04:20 AM »

... yet it was an Englishman who pioneered, proposing AND implementing, the process of using http protocols between users and servers to develop the World Wide Web ... the internet as we generally know it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee

It reads, in full "American Paul Baran and Brit Donald Davies are often credited as founders of the Internet, with Sir Tim's earlier work leading some to describe him as a 'co-founder'."

So at best, America gets a one-third credit here....
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 10:09:44 AM by Tumeni »

Nearly?

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: July 28, 2020, 01:48:23 PM »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: July 28, 2020, 08:01:33 PM »

Alexander Bell was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, on March 3, 1847
At an early age, he was enrolled at the Royal High School, Edinburgh, Scotland, which he left at the age of 15
At the age of 16, Bell secured a position as a "pupil-teacher" of elocution and music, in Weston House Academy at Elgin, Moray, Scotland. The following year, he attended the University of Edinburgh
In 1870, 23-year-old Bell travelled with his parents and his brother's widow to Paris, Ontario.
He later moved to America.

So you admit that Bell fled Scotland and migrated to America where there was more opportunity. Bell chose to became an American citizen. Bell chose to invent in America and to start his business in America. Bell did not choose to be born in Scotland. Bell did not choose to start his business in Scotland, nor to reside there. Why should Scotland get any credit?

Quote from: Tumeni
It reads, in full "American Paul Baran and Brit Donald Davies are often credited as founders of the Internet, with Sir Tim's earlier work leading some to describe him as a 'co-founder'."

So at best, America gets a one-third credit here....

Here is a link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_pioneers

Instead of a single "inventor", the Internet was developed by many people over many years. The following are some Internet pioneers who contributed to its early development. These include early theoretical foundations, specifying original protocols, and expansion beyond a research tool to wide deployment.

Count how many Americans are on this list vs. non-Americans. It's like 8-1.

... which they could not have done without the kick-start of hiring the team of German rocket scientists who had the rocket capability and expertise that was totally absent from allied countries in WW2.

As I am aware, Von Braun and others purposely surrendered to American forces. They joined with America, signed a contract to work for America, and eventually became American citizens. That is all something that they chose to do.

Also: https://www.nmspacemuseum.org/inductee/wernher-von-braun/ - "As von Braun freely admitted after the war, much of the V-2 design was directly borrowed from the writings of the American rocket scientist Robert Goddard."
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:14:20 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: July 28, 2020, 09:50:07 PM »
I like how Tom assumes anyone who moves to America is automatically an American citizen.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: July 29, 2020, 01:53:50 AM »
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/07/daca-donald-trump-supreme-court.html

I'm sorry, but does anyone else find it ironic that the guy trying to run as the"law and order" president continually gives the middle finger to the courts? That he constantly ignores the law?

Also:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/28/politics/donald-trump-anthony-fauci-approval-rating/index.html

Christ, what a narcissist! He's like a caricature of narcissists. If you didn't know it was real you'd swear it was a parody.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:58:12 AM by Roundy »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: July 29, 2020, 05:20:49 AM »
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/07/daca-donald-trump-supreme-court.html

I'm sorry, but does anyone else find it ironic that the guy trying to run as the"law and order" president continually gives the middle finger to the courts? That he constantly ignores the law?

Also:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/28/politics/donald-trump-anthony-fauci-approval-rating/index.html

Christ, what a narcissist! He's like a caricature of narcissists. If you didn't know it was real you'd swear it was a parody.

Trump could nuke NYC and his supporters would still cheer.  Trump is basically God: what he says is good, what he does is good.  It doesn't matter what it is, Trump is always good.

And yeah.  I feel like I'm watching The Simpsons or reading The Onion yet no one is yellow and the punchline hurts.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5996 on: July 29, 2020, 08:25:30 AM »
So you admit that Bell fled Scotland and migrated to America

I don't know if he fled, but he certainly moved there. He was born, raised and educated and started his inventing career in Scotland.
But it's all moot because he didn't actually invent the telephone anyway, that was an Italian apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/jun/17/humanities.internationaleducationnews#:~:text=Calling%20the%20Italian's%20career%20extraordinary,a%20patent%2016%20years%20later.

Bell just nicked his work and got the patent. Does that make Bell Scottish again? ;)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: July 29, 2020, 08:53:50 AM »
So you admit that Bell fled Scotland and migrated to America

I don't know if he fled, but he certainly moved there. He was born, raised and educated and started his inventing career in Scotland.
But it's all moot because he didn't actually invent the telephone anyway, that was an Italian apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/jun/17/humanities.internationaleducationnews#:~:text=Calling%20the%20Italian's%20career%20extraordinary,a%20patent%2016%20years%20later.

Bell just nicked his work and got the patent. Does that make Bell Scottish again? ;)

According to wiki, he went from scotland to Canada, was there a while, then moved to Boston.  Ssooo...

totallackey

« Reply #5998 on: July 29, 2020, 11:51:49 AM »
Nearly all of the most important inventions in the world, since the founding of the US in 1776, have taken place in the US.

No doubt.

Every person in the US was able to do this due to the underlying philosophical tenets that helped to form the country and make it the greatest country ever known to mankind.

Rama Set

« Reply #5999 on: July 29, 2020, 12:05:49 PM »
Who cares where any of this stuff was invented other than the interesting question of what cultural qualities create conditions for fruitful creativity? Trump was obviously just trying to strike an emotional chord so that people will look upon him less critically or to divert attention.