Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #580 on: August 07, 2014, 04:55:54 PM »
I just think it's easy to forget how everything plays out in Skyler's life when we see everything Walt is doing. She's confused, frustrated, depressed, etc.

It's easy to forget because we never see her as being anything else. All they really needed to do was start the show off by having her appear as likable and sympathetic, yet instead we're immediately presented with the contrast between an overworked dad and a generally useless housewife. It's not as much "Walt's ruining the family dynamic that he's fighting to preserve" as it is "Walt's escaping the family dynamic because it sucks shit and being a drug kingpin is way more interesting for the audience". As a result we simply don't care about his family life and when Skyler is acting reasonably frustrated, it doesn't resonate with the audience because we don't want to see that part of the story, and she comes across as a "bitch" instead.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 07, 2014, 05:28:14 PM »
As a result we simply don't care about his family life and when Skyler is acting reasonably frustrated, it doesn't resonate with the audience because we don't want to see that part of the story, and she comes across as a "bitch" instead.
Yes, that is what I'm addressing. People forget that her frustrations are reasonable and she's not simply a bitch, plain and simple. We see the story from Walt's POV mostly so when she complains to him, she's complaining to the audience and the first reaction is to think she's a bitch even though from her POV it's all totally justifiable.

Why wasn't she working at first? She used to do accounting and then stopped but got a job when Walt lost his teaching one. I don't think Walt even wanted her working. I wouldn't really call that useless. But you're right in that she wasn't really supposed to offer any more to the story other than motivation and then to push Walt away.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 07, 2014, 05:45:56 PM »
Yes, but it's the showmakers' job to make sure that we understand that her motivations are justifiable. Audiences don't base their preferences on afterthoughts or rational analysis, it's effectively entirely based on how the characters come across as they are watching the show and as such it's emotionally driven. I just think it's pointless to remark thinks like "people forget that..." when having the audience "forget" things in the first place is a failure on the showmakers' behalf.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 07, 2014, 05:51:19 PM »
when having the audience "forget" things in the first place is a failure on the showmakers' behalf.
Agreed. I'm just rationalizing her character because it's just what I tend to do for shows and movies in general. I try and put myself in everyone's POV, but I agree that the writers could have done a better job overall with characterization.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 07, 2014, 11:04:41 PM »
Mad Men

Did you watch season 7 part 1 yet?

« Reply #585 on: August 08, 2014, 01:51:40 PM »
Guardians of the galaxy. Wasn't as good as reddit nerds thought it was.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 08, 2014, 02:13:39 PM »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 08, 2014, 04:46:44 PM »
Really?

Even my Facebook feed is blowing up, "zomg best Marvel movie evar!" But I'll be seeing it tomorrow anyway.

« Reply #588 on: August 08, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »
Really?

Even my Facebook feed is blowing up, "zomg best Marvel movie evar!" But I'll be seeing it tomorrow anyway.

It was a good movie, but Reddit is praising it as the second coming of Jesus. People have even been saying crazy things like it's better than the Avengers.

My only complaints are that the script is a bit weak in some places, there's a bunch of times when characters talk basically pure exposition that would be extremely weird in context (since we're in a wacky universe there needs to be some of this, I think Starlord would have been a better vehicle for audience but he wasn't quite used that way). And the villain is really, really weak. It kind of works for the movie because it gives plenty of focus on the main crew, but I think I would have preferred a stronger villain with more screen time.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 08, 2014, 09:52:21 PM »
Why do you even know what Reddit thinks about things

« Reply #590 on: August 08, 2014, 09:53:06 PM »
Because I'm brave enough to frequent /r/movies, which is covered in jizz laden GotG threads.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 08, 2014, 09:55:15 PM »
masochism = brave ok

« Reply #592 on: August 08, 2014, 09:57:16 PM »
There can occasionally be good discussion in there, but since there's so many people it can get pretty retarded as well.

« Reply #593 on: August 08, 2014, 11:47:32 PM »
Has anyone seen Boyhood? The guys at RLM hated it, but most critics seem to love it.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 09, 2014, 12:14:51 AM »
Really?

It was a good movie, but Reddit is praising it as the second coming of Jesus. People have even been saying crazy things like it's better than the Avengers.

My only complaints are that the script is a bit weak in some places, there's a bunch of times when characters talk basically pure exposition that would be extremely weird in context (since we're in a wacky universe there needs to be some of this, I think Starlord would have been a better vehicle for audience but he wasn't quite used that way). And the villain is really, really weak. It kind of works for the movie because it gives plenty of focus on the main crew, but I think I would have preferred a stronger villain with more screen time.
A nearly unkillable Hitler is a weak villain?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #595 on: August 09, 2014, 12:17:10 AM »
Really?

Not physically weak, weak as a character. He basically just wanted to kill everyone because reasons, and had a ridiculous amount of resources to do it.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 09, 2014, 12:36:22 AM »
Really?

Not physically weak, weak as a character. He basically just wanted to kill everyone because reasons, and had a ridiculous amount of resources to do it.
Again, Space Hitler.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #597 on: August 09, 2014, 04:19:30 AM »
Then yes. Another thing I forgot is that this is another marvel movie driven by a macguffin.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 09, 2014, 04:35:42 AM »
I've been binging True Blood. It's terrible, stupid, and addicting.

It's why I posted Robert Kazinsky in the what you'd hit thread. He was alright in Pacific Rim but he made the boring 6th season watchable.

Ghost of V

« Reply #599 on: August 09, 2014, 05:34:41 AM »
I've been binging True Blood. It's terrible, stupid, and addicting.

It's why I posted Robert Kazinsky in the what you'd hit thread. He was alright in Pacific Rim but he made the boring 6th season watchable.

I can't even watch that show.