Re: Just Watched
« Reply #540 on: August 01, 2014, 11:39:57 PM »
Oh, for fuck's sake:

What an ungainly, awkward title.  Who thought that was a good idea?  And the effects just look awful.

Because big armies n stuff bring in more people. Durrr Saddam. Looks like they wreck Smaug in the first 10 mins, then 40 minutes of build up with more Sauron tomfoolery before the final 60 minute (120 minute in extended edition) battle.

Yeah, I've watched it.

It does get a bit slow in places but the story is great. And I do love that they're not afraid to kill characters cause it makes it all more stressful to watch.

Awesome. It does tend to slow down, but I felt the slower sections really made you love the fights, which were extremely fast paced with people flying all over the place like spiderman.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:41:39 PM by Vindictus »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 02, 2014, 12:34:08 AM »
Oh yeah, the action is great. I tried to read further with the manga but the art isn't very pleasing.

« Reply #542 on: August 02, 2014, 02:08:03 AM »
I tried reading the manga last night as well, and I agree; I think the anime is much more enjoyable. I might keep reading in my spare time just because I really want more details on the titans and characters. The next season is so far away as well.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 02, 2014, 03:46:01 PM »
What an ungainly, awkward title.  Who thought that was a good idea?

Surely "The Battle of the Five Armies" is exactly the right subtitle for the next Hobbit movie?  What else were they going to call it? 

"The Hobbit: The Finale"?
"The Hobbit: Back to the Shire"?
"The Hobbit: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been"?
"The Hobbit: Endgame"?
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 02, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »
So what are the five armies? Is this something they pulled out of their asses?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 02, 2014, 04:44:39 PM »

Surely "The Battle of the Five Armies" is exactly the right subtitle for the next Hobbit movie?  What else were they going to call it? 

Er...

"The Hobbit: There and Back Again"
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 02, 2014, 04:52:16 PM »

Excellent point. Since you came up with a few retarded alternatives, I now believe that "The Battle of the Five Armies" is the only possible combination of English words that could describe this movie.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #547 on: August 02, 2014, 06:38:38 PM »
The Hobbit: The Final Movie and the Conclusion to the Trilogy

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 02, 2014, 06:51:06 PM »

Er...

Oh, that would have been pretty good.

In all seriousness I still like the title.  I think it's catchier than Saddam gives it credit for and perfectly embodies the main story of the movie.  And even if it is a bit unwieldy, maybe that's even appropriate on a meta level for what they've done with the movies.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 02, 2014, 09:09:06 PM »
Here's an idea: it's one book called The Hobbit, make one movie and call it The Hobbit. I know it's already too late for that, but god damn, why do they feel the need to have it match up to LOTR in terms of duration? Maybe there will be a fan edit which is just the events from the book and not the million minutiae of the appendices PJ decided to throw in for no conceivable reason, I would probably watch that.

« Reply #550 on: August 02, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »
You know why. Money.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 02, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »

Er...

Oh, that would have been pretty good.

In all seriousness I still like the title.  I think it's catchier than Saddam gives it credit for and perfectly embodies the main story of the movie.  And even if it is a bit unwieldy, maybe that's even appropriate on a meta level for what they've done with the movies.
That's because that's what it was originally called. :l They inexplicably renamed it to "The Battle of Five Armies" a little while back after the second film.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 02, 2014, 10:26:24 PM »
Okay, well I'm sure they had a reason.  Maybe they didn't want future generations to look at the title, recognize that it's what Tolkein called the original story, and assume that they would have actually turned such a massive tome into a single movie.  I know such a scenario seems far-fetched but people can be dumb like that.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #553 on: August 03, 2014, 05:25:52 AM »
So what are the five armies? Is this something they pulled out of their asses?

No, it was in the book.  It refers to the men, elves, dwarves, orcs, and wargs.  It's still a very silly, kiddy name for a battle that you'd expect to find in a book like The Hobbit and not in LotR.  In fact, I was very surprised when I was reading LotR and a character referred to the battle by name.  I would have expected Tolkien to quietly retcon the name into something more dignified and adult-sounding, like the way he changed "goblins" to "orcs."

Anyway, it's a terrible name for a movie, and there's nothing justifying it.  They've already got all the seats filled by virtue of the fact that it's The Hobbit.  Nobody is going to base their decision on whether or not to see it by the subtitle.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 03, 2014, 06:58:18 AM »
So I saw Guardians of the Galaxy today (well, technically yesterday now). It was Marvelous (he he)

Really though, I loved it. I was a little worried it wouldn't be that great, but it's a really wonderfully fun and funny film. It's an awesome mix of action and comedy, and almost every time it starts to head toward some action movie/space film/movies-in-general cliché, it subverts it in a fun way and makes you (well, me) laugh instead. I definitely want to see it again. Star Lord was hilarious, but even more so were Rocket and Groot (not to mention Rocket is adorable and awesome). Drax was far funnier than I expected him to be, too. The only disappointing thing is Gomora because there's really nothing special about her character-wise; everyone else in the main cast stands out in some ways, but she really doesn't.

I'm way too tired for a detailed review—I just gave up trying to sleep after laying in bed trying to for ~6 hours—but tl;dr: I was very pleasantly surprised and loved it. I wish I wasn't as tired as I was when I saw it, because the movie is fast-paced as all hell at points and was difficult for me to keep track of sometimes, but yeah. It was great and I want to see it agian.

Oh, and earlier this week I saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, which was amazing as well. Surprisingly emotional and very, very well-done.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #555 on: August 03, 2014, 01:57:55 PM »
The only disappointing thing is Gomora because there's really nothing special about her character-wise; everyone else in the main cast stands out in some ways, but she really doesn't.

She is green.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 03, 2014, 02:21:30 PM »
So I saw Guardians of the Galaxy today (well, technically yesterday now). It was Marvelous (he he)

Really though, I loved it. I was a little worried it wouldn't be that great, but it's a really wonderfully fun and funny film. It's an awesome mix of action and comedy, and almost every time it starts to head toward some action movie/space film/movies-in-general cliché, it subverts it in a fun way and makes you (well, me) laugh instead. I definitely want to see it again. Star Lord was hilarious, but even more so were Rocket and Groot (not to mention Rocket is adorable and awesome). Drax was far funnier than I expected him to be, too. The only disappointing thing is Gomora because there's really nothing special about her character-wise; everyone else in the main cast stands out in some ways, but she really doesn't.

I'm way too tired for a detailed review—I just gave up trying to sleep after laying in bed trying to for ~6 hours—but tl;dr: I was very pleasantly surprised and loved it. I wish I wasn't as tired as I was when I saw it, because the movie is fast-paced as all hell at points and was difficult for me to keep track of sometimes, but yeah. It was great and I want to see it agian.

Oh, and earlier this week I saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, which was amazing as well. Surprisingly emotional and very, very well-done.
I saw this yesterday too.  Agreed.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #557 on: August 03, 2014, 08:22:15 PM »

"The Hobbit: Dragon Dies in the First Ten Minutes"

Ghost of V

« Reply #558 on: August 03, 2014, 09:26:32 PM »
I do really want to see Guardians of the Galaxy. Mostly because I like raccoons.

I will return once I've seen it to complain about how it does not properly capture the comic source material.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 06, 2014, 03:46:36 AM »
The Virgin Suicides (Sofia Coppola)

Still one of my favorite films eva.