Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #520 on: July 16, 2014, 08:03:29 AM »
What? They're not having Hank Pym to be Ant-Man? They're jumping straight to Scott Lang? Why?
The Mastery.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 17, 2014, 02:05:59 AM »
God, I've watched so many things and I'm so behind.

Most relevantly and importantly, I've been watching the anime WataMote (full title: Watashi ga Motenai no wa dō Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!). It's basically a dark comedy about a girl suffering from incredibly severe social anxiety and possibly some form of depression, and just her going through high school and trying to deal with her problems. I'd heard that people who can relate to her absolutely love the show so I decided on a whim to start watching.

Lo and behold, I love it. It's scary how much I can identify with her and the situations she gets into and has to deal with. The show is obviously a quite exaggerated and stylized version of that sort of stuff, but that's what makes it entertaining rather than just depressing. The animation is superb, and I love the way it changes on a whim to dramaticize a situation or something. It's really beautiful. So blahblah I love the show and need moar. I'm four episodes in and it's twelve episodes long, so I am sad.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 17, 2014, 02:55:32 AM »
After watching anime for a while, I've come to an inescapable conclusion: Japan's anti-drug laws aren't working.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 17, 2014, 09:27:24 AM »
After watching anime for a while
Go do some old man stuff already, old man.
The Mastery.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 17, 2014, 12:29:49 PM »
Old people can't watch cartoons?  ???
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #525 on: July 17, 2014, 05:14:51 PM »
Old people can't watch cartoons?  ???
Only if they are old classic Disney of Looney Tunes cartoons.
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 25, 2014, 04:17:13 PM »
There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)

My second viewing of this film comes after six years. I greatly enjoyed it the first time, when some friends and I stumbled upon it on a now defunct pay-per-view movie channel for the bargain price of literally one pence. I have no idea why it was available so cheap considering it was a major Academy Award contender that received high critical acclaim on opening, but it was that cheap and by god we took advantage of that fact. We were laughing along heartily with Daniel Day-Lewis's insane performance that only gets crazier as we head to the denouement, but this second time I was alone, able to sit and appreciate without distraction this masterfully directed, wonderfully scored and brilliantly acted character piece. I won't say much about the content of the film, because I want to encourage as many people as possible to get it and watch it and experience it for themselves, it deserves your attention if you haven't already seen it. And if you have seen it why not watch it again? There's so much more that I picked up on a second time around that I wholeheartedly recommend multiple viewings.

I do hope to do a proper analysis of the ending at some point, but that will take time, not something to be done off-hand like this little write-up.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 25, 2014, 04:29:33 PM »
There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)

My second viewing of this film comes after six years. I greatly enjoyed it the first time, when some friends and I stumbled upon it on a now defunct pay-per-view movie channel for the bargain price of literally one pence. I have no idea why it was available so cheap considering it was a major Academy Award contender that received high critical acclaim on opening, but it was that cheap and by god we took advantage of that fact. We were laughing along heartily with Daniel Day-Lewis's insane performance that only gets crazier as we head to the denouement, but this second time I was alone, able to sit and appreciate without distraction this masterfully directed, wonderfully scored and brilliantly acted character piece. I won't say much about the content of the film, because I want to encourage as many people as possible to get it and watch it and experience it for themselves, it deserves your attention if you haven't already seen it. And if you have seen it why not watch it again? There's so much more that I picked up on a second time around that I wholeheartedly recommend multiple viewings.

Heck yes! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I will probably be watching it again soon myself, along with many other PTA films.

I do hope to do a proper analysis of the ending at some point, but that will take time, not something to be done off-hand like this little write-up.

If you did this I would really love to read it. I thought about doing an analysis of The Master, but I really am not good at that sort of thing.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #528 on: July 25, 2014, 04:38:02 PM »
I watched The World's End.  It was good.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 26, 2014, 12:00:55 AM »
I watched The World's End.  It was good.

If by "good" you mean "amazing".
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 26, 2014, 05:59:33 PM »
I saw Hercules.

I love Dwayne Johnson so for that alone it was good. The previews were a little misleading since it stripped the mythology aspect and made it a realistic story. Overall, meh. It was good for what it was. I was hoping for the straight mythological story though.

I did see a preview for Exodus before the movie. I'd love to see that one.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 27, 2014, 12:02:38 AM »
I saw Hercules.

I love Dwayne Johnson

steroid's  >o<

Saddam Hussein

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 27, 2014, 03:51:55 AM »
http://io9.com/brett-ratners-hercules-is-a-lie-dont-fall-for-it-1610881361
Actually, I think that seems like an interesting take on it, at least the idea that Hercules is more myth than man. But then, no take on Hercules beats this:

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #534 on: July 27, 2014, 04:09:21 AM »
Actually, I think that seems like an interesting take on it, at least the idea that Hercules is more myth than man. But then, no take on Hercules beats this:

Magnificent.

« Reply #535 on: August 01, 2014, 11:20:30 AM »
So I just finished watching an anime called 'Attack on Titan' or 'Shingeki no Kyojin'. It's well paced, original, has complex character development and isn't terribly tropey (which is probably the nicest part, really). The creators aren't afraid to kill off characters and the battle scenes in it are pretty intense and enjoyable to watch. It's also fairly recent, as it was just released last year. It was one of those TV shows that I wasn't sure about to begin with, but ended up binge watching it after I got a few episodes in.

So I'm not sure if anyone around here watches anime, but I'd recommend this. It's on Netflix.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 01, 2014, 01:07:02 PM »
Yeah, I've watched it.

It does get a bit slow in places but the story is great. And I do love that they're not afraid to kill characters cause it makes it all more stressful to watch.

Rama Set

« Reply #537 on: August 01, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »

Sentimental favorite:

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #538 on: August 01, 2014, 10:28:01 PM »
Oh, for fuck's sake:

What an ungainly, awkward title.  Who thought that was a good idea?  And the effects just look awful.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 01, 2014, 10:31:50 PM »
Something about the use of the word "the" in one title really bothers me.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.