Erehps

Observing The Sun
« on: August 15, 2018, 07:39:26 AM »
This is more an observation than an experiment which you can do at your own convenience anywhere.

The sun does a number of things at both sunrise and sunset every day which is extremely relevant to the flat Earth and globe Earth concepts.

Take note of the size, shape, and color of the sun as it next rises and sets.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
Re: Observing The Sun
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 08:40:23 AM »
... with the aid of a solar filter, of course...
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Erehps

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 09:05:49 AM »
It's ok to safely look directly at the sun at sunrise and sunset, but not at any other time. At any other time, you risk damaging your eyes. Or you can use solar filter as suggested....

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 08:13:29 PM »
It's ok to safely look directly at the sun at sunrise and sunset, but not at any other time. At any other time, you risk damaging your eyes. Or you can use solar filter as suggested....

This isn't really true. It's not okay to ever look at the sun without any kind of protective lenses. It's less damaging to your eyes during sunrise and sunset, sure, but it's still much more devastating than not looking at it at all. Watching a sunset or sunrise every now and then isn't too bad, but regularly observing those events will accumulate unnecessary damage to your eyes. Don't do it. This is the same kind of thinking that causes people to stare directly into an eclipse only to realize they've suddenly gone blind.

Erehps

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 10:25:19 PM »
I'm not suggesting looking at a sunrise or sunset every single day. But if you do, it's not at all like looking at the sun overhead, or watching an eclipse. In both those instances, yes, you would damage your eyes, because the sunlight only has to travel through about 2 miles of atmosphere when overhead, as compared to about 120 miles at either sunrise or sunset. Its damaging effects are muted by travelling through extra atmosphere at those 2 times of the day.

Heck, if you're so worried, you could wear sunglasses, or better still, watch it through the screen of your camera or mobile phone and better yet, film it.

The sun does a number of things important to flat earth and globe earth discussions at these two times of the day.

Erehps

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 10:46:45 PM »
Ok, so these are my visual observations from one day:

1. The sun stays the same size from sunrise to sunset. (I took photos of the sun during the day, safely, by using my mobile phone.)

2. The sun stays the same perfect circle shape from the commencement of sunrise to the end of sunset. (I took a photo of the sun using my mobile phone at various times of the day also)

3. The sun follows a straight line from sunrise in the East across the sky, to sunset in the West. (By watching the sun rise and turning around 180  degrees, was able to successfully predict where I would see it set)

4. It hurts your eyes to try and look at the sun at any time of the day with the exception of sunrise or sunset.

5. The sun causes spectacular glows of reds, pinks, oranges, and yellows in the sky around the sun at both sunrise and sunset, but more spectacular at sunset.  (Cameras on phones are wonderful things aren't they)

There's no Hollywood special effects involved here folks, no CGI, just human observation you can all do.

Has anybody else made the same observations, or dispute these observations, or made other observations of the sun?

Erehps

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 12:46:39 AM »
I'm sure this has been stated all before.

From my first and second observations, the sun must be a very long way away, because it doesn't appear to change size or shape at all. If it were in the immediate vicinity of our "world" I would expect it to appear as a glowing dot high above the horizon, at sunrise, which expands to maximum size overhead by noon, and then shrinks back to a glowing dot above the horizon at sunset.

The flat earth model which states the sun is a glowing ball in the sky which circles the flat earth would have the sun appear in the sky at sunrise as a glowing dot left of view which swings around to maximum size at noon and disappears at sunset as a glowing dot, trailing off to the right. If the sun were a spotlight, shining down on the flat earth, it would appear as a horizontal glowing slit or line in the sky above the horizon, open to a ball by noon, and disappear as a horizontal line at sunset high above the horizon.

Comments?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 07:05:26 AM »
3. The sun follows a straight line from sunrise in the East across the sky, to sunset in the West.
This observation cannot be correct under your model of choice. Congratulations, you have taken the first step on your long journey of dismantling the globularist agenda!
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 02:20:38 AM »
3. The sun follows a straight line from sunrise in the East across the sky, to sunset in the West.
This observation cannot be correct under your model of choice. Congratulations, you have taken the first step on your long journey of dismantling the globularist agenda!

I most certainly agree with you Pete! And to add to the discussion I would like to contribute that the Sun follows a path called the ecliptic, in RET at least :). This is not a straight line at all, but when projected across the sky can sometimes appear this way, depending on your reference.
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior

Offline model 29

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 02:56:15 AM »
Just get a solar filter.  You can buy 4x4" thin flexible sheets and cut it to fit any number of applications.  Your eyes and camera sensor will thank you.

Or just observe the moon for the same results.

Erehps

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 12:54:56 AM »
Pete, what's my model of choice? I maintained an open mind in my observations.

I was simply noting my layman observations of an everyday occurrence. From my observations, the sun did appear to travel a straight line, (not that I spent the entire day sunbathing and watching the sky.)

If anything, my globalist agenda is cemented firmer than ever before.

No comments on how the sun dips under the horizon at sunset instead of sailing high? I was expecting some explanation of an unproven optical effect. How very interesting....

And it does dip. It's possible to watch the same sunset twice in one day.

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 02:52:13 AM »

I was simply noting my layman observations of an everyday occurrence. From my observations, the sun did appear to travel a straight line, (not that I spent the entire day sunbathing and watching the sky.)

If anything, my globalist agenda is cemented firmer than ever before.

No comments on how the sun dips under the horizon at sunset instead of sailing high? I was expecting some explanation of an unproven optical effect. How very interesting....

And it does dip. It's possible to watch the same sunset twice in one day.

That is an interesting observation, from a zetetic point of view. According to RowBothiam thought, direct observation posits that the Sun does follow a straight path, for everyone observing it.

Unfortunately, that path changes shape depending on your location on Earth. And they do not align. Hence, it is not possible for the Sun to follow a straight path for every observer.
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 12:37:14 PM »
"I don't see that there is anything that needs to be explained."

-- Tom Bishop, everybody, your leader...

"How do you explain the crescent moon if the earth is flat. The crescent moons are caused by the ROUND earths shadow that is cast on the moon?"

-- Pete Svarrior, believe it or not

"I behave like an insufferable douchebag."

-- Junker, probably

So, your shitposting really needs to be contained to CN and AR. Having a ridiculous signature such as this that shows up in every post, including the upper fora, is just including an extra shitpost every time. Usually I'd just give a friendly reminder to change your signature, but you know what you are doing so I will forego the friendliness.

You are on 3 warnings. And it is clear you have no interest in adapting to this place. So have a few days off to review the rules. If you decide you want to come back, try following those rules next time. FYI if you do come back, it progresses from this 3-day ban to 7-day, 30-day, then permanent.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:39:23 PM by junker »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 01:09:13 PM »
Excuse my cynicism, but I do not believe for a second that someone with a username of "Erehps" is in any way open-minded. Your further comments in this post only serve to reinforce that and dismiss any shadow of doubt.

Your model of choice is quite clearly RET. However, at least one of your observation directly contradicts RET (and FET, coincidentally). We can reach one of two conclusions here:
  • You successfully disproved the two main models discussed here.
  • Your observations were flawed in some way.

Now, personally I'm a big fan of observation and empirical evidence, and I have no reason not to believe that you've actually conducted the experiment. Thus, it is my understanding that you've set on a path towards developing a new model of the Earth. And that's exciting stuff for sure.

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 02:23:15 PM »
Is there anyone here with friends that live abroad?

Could you not just have a phone call with your foreign friend when the sun disappears over the horizon and ask them what they see? If the Earth is round, then surely they would see that the sun is still up, I don't understand how this could ever work on a flat Earth

Offline Humble B

• Full merrily the humble B doth sing
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 04:45:30 PM »
Hello boys and girls, flat or round, after some reading around on this forum this is my first contribution.
I will start with my humble apologies to Pete, because I'll use my first post to contradict one of his statements:

Your model of choice is quite clearly RET. However, at least one of your observation directly contradicts RET (and FET, coincidentally). We can reach one of two conclusions here:
  • You successfully disproved the two main models discussed here.
  • Your observations were flawed in some way.

It's about the sun, traveling in a straight line. Contrary to what Pete suggests, this observation is not a first step in a journey of dismantling the globularist agenda. Actually this observation is fully compatible with the heliocentric model.

Remember yourself as a child sitting in a carousel spinning around its own axis, you did not see the carousel spinning, you saw the world outside the carousel including your mom and dad spinning in a straight horizontal line around you.

This is how the heliocentric model explains the trajectory of the sun and stars, not actually spinning around the earth, but apparently spinning around the earth because the earth is spinning around its own axis. So due to the heliocentric model we on earth are in the centre of the circle which we see as the path of the sun. Now the question is, how do we see a circle if we watch that circle from its centre? The answer is: As a straight line all around us. Therefore the observation that the sun moves in a straight line from the east to the west does not contradict the globular model with a sun spinning around the globe or a globe spinning around it's axis.

So Pete's conclusion that at least one of Erehps' observations directly contradicts RET and coincidentally FET, is wrong; this observation only contradicts the flat earth model, because in every flat earth model the observer is not, like in the heliocentric model, in the centre or even in the plane of the sun's circular trajectory.
He who believes windmills are his enemies, will take the gentle turning of their blades an act of aggression, and mistake their soft murmur for angry ranting.

HorstFue

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 09:37:22 PM »
It's about the sun, traveling in a straight line. Contrary to what Pete suggests, this observation is not a first step in a journey of dismantling the globularist agenda. Actually this observation is fully compatible with the heliocentric model.

Remember yourself as a child sitting in a carousel spinning around its own axis, you did not see the carousel spinning, you saw the world outside the carousel including your mom and dad spinning in a straight horizontal line around you.
Hmmm... Ok, I agree, that this is "compatible with heliocentric model", but "Actually this observation" is not what a naive (sorry still searching for a better word) observer would see.
It's the reference system, what makes the difference.
Your "carousel model" makes sense for a fixed reference system, which is based on the orbital plane of earth/sun.
The reference system of a "normal" observer is based on gravity and the horizon around him. And this is almost never perpendicular to orbital plane earth/sun. This reference system is rotating/tilting in a weird way with the spinning earth:
  • The seats in the "earth carousel" are tilted outward. You would have to compensate for this, to give a straight line for the sun moving around you. Astronomers use an Equatorial Mount.
  • Additionally the axis of the "earth carousel" is inclined, is not perpendicular to the orbital plane earth/sun. So sun's course seldom is "horizontal".

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 10:20:36 PM »
Humble B's explanation makes perfect sense for an observer in a very specific geographic location. Without further clarification from the claimant, we cannot determine who is correct.

Erehps, could I convince you to disclose your latitude?

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 10:45:46 PM »
Wrong. Totally and utterly completely backwards wrong.

A curved path would prove FE. Straight path supports globe.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 06:21:53 AM »
A curved path would prove FE. Straight path supports globe.
Unless you find yourself directly underneath the Sun, the path must be curved in RET. Since our friend did not disclose his location, we have to accept his conclusion as very unlikely to support RET.

Also, it's not helpful to jump into a well-developed discussion by just quoting an old post and declaring someone wrong. The points of contention have already been outlined and discussed to some extent. If you have something to add, by all means, do so.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 06:23:29 AM by Pete Svarrior »