Family in the English speaking countries
« on: April 04, 2014, 11:37:14 AM »
Hello!My name is Anna.I am a student and I need some information for my diploma. I hope some of you can help me. It is very important for me. Please, answer these questions and send them back somehow, maybe in comments or in a PM. It is too difficult for me to use American forum, honestly speaking I understand nothing here but I hope so much that you will help me. I need the more the better answers...=)

Your age:
male/female

1.   Write, please, 4 -5 words, which come to your mind when you hear the word FAMILY. Don't think twice. Write the first words that you think of.

2.   Number the following types of families, according to your personal opinion on which of the given types the term "family" can be applied to. Use the scale from 0 to 13 (0 showing the worst correlation with the conception of the family, 13- showing the most typical conception of the family)
   Nuclear family (consists of the one generation, usually parents with or without children)
   Extended family (large family of several generations; may include grandparents, brothers and their wives, sisters and their husbands, nephews and nieces)
   Two-parent family (consists of both parents and at least one child)
   Single-parent family (there is no one of the parents)
   Childless family
   Family with the small number of children (1 or 2 children)
   Long family or family with 3 or more children
   Same-sex family
   Heterosexual family
   Monogamous family (both spouses haven`t got other marriage partners)
   Polygamous family (one of the spouses has another marriage partners)
   Patriarchal family ( there is a man in the head of the family)
   Matriarchal family (there is a woman in the head of the family)
   Polyamory (three persons of both sexes live together in the same house)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:34:09 PM by BashkovaAnna »

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Family in the English speaking countries
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 10:21:35 PM »
This is real and is a survey for a college project.  I have spoken to BashkovaAnna on the other site and I recommended that she post this here.  Please, help her out.  It will only take 2 minutes.  Send her a PM if you want.  She only has 1 week left to gather the data and turn in the project. 

Thanks. 

Ghost of V

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 10:24:24 PM »
This is real and is a survey for a college project.  I have spoken to BashkovaAnna on the other site and I recommended that she post this here.  Please, help her out.  It will only take 2 minutes.  Send her a PM if you want.  She only has 1 week left to gather the data and turn in the project. 

Thanks.

I'm still skeptical. I'll need more proof that this is real before answering.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 10:26:14 PM »
Give a false age, then.  That is the only personal information that she is asking for.  Just make it in the same age range. 

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 12:24:07 AM »
Is the 0 to 13 thing a list-type, do you know Jroa, or can I apply 0 to 13 on any of them. i.e. Does each one need a unique number or can they all be 13, for example.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 12:32:09 AM »
I think all of them are families so I don't know what help that is.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 02:37:24 AM »
Is the 0 to 13 thing a list-type, do you know Jroa, or can I apply 0 to 13 on any of them. i.e. Does each one need a unique number or can they all be 13, for example.

I used each of the numbers.  I think that is what you are supposed to do. 

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 05:47:05 AM »

Thanks.

I'm still skeptical. I'll need more proof that this is real before answering.

What proofs do you need?I can give you everything what you want if it is possible to do here :)

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 05:55:35 AM »
I personally don't like this assignment. It seems too narrow. I think all of these are acceptable families and labeling them based on most to least seems misleading for any kind of study. "Typical" and "worst" are not really on the same spectrum. What may be more typical in America doesn't mean it's a better family.

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 06:07:14 AM »
If you don`t want tell me your age you can ignore this question. But please answer the main two. It takes you 1 minute to give me your associations and 2 minutes to number these types of families. You can do it at random if you don`t want to think for a long time :)
I need this information for my diploma which is called "Концепт "семья" в русскоязычной и англоязычной культурах". I`ve already had 40 russian replies, of course it was easier to question them but now I need your replies.

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 06:11:07 AM »
I personally don't like this assignment. It seems too narrow. I think all of these are acceptable families and labeling them based on most to least seems misleading for any kind of study. "Typical" and "worst" are not really on the same spectrum. What may be more typical in America doesn't mean it's a better family.

It is my task to find out what is more typical in America..And what about associations?

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 06:23:27 AM »
Weirdest thread ever
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 06:26:42 AM »
Ok, so just one more question.  I don't understand why the nuclear family unit is listed there since that encompasses a lot of the listed options. Are the nuclear and extended unit options supposed to be their own question separate from the more specific situations?

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 06:43:30 AM »
Ok, so just one more question.  I don't understand why the nuclear family unit is listed there since that encompasses a lot of the listed options. Are the nuclear and extended unit options supposed to be their own question separate from the more specific situations?

Nuclear family is used as an opposition to extended. It is important for me what is more typical for you nuclear or extended, family with 3 or more children or childless, matriarchal or patriarchal and so on

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 08:45:10 AM »
Female, 22 years old

4-5 words: Trust, sacrifice, unconditional, burden, safe. Kind of a mixed bag, but. :P

The next one's a little harder for me...they're all equally family to me, I don't think any one is more than the other, so...I'll just list them in order of what's most "common" around here, I guess.

13 Family with a small number of children
12 Nuclear family
11 Two-parent family
10 Extended family
9 Single-parent family
8 Family with three or more children
7 Childless family
6 Heterosexual family
5 Monogamous family
4 Patriarchal family
3 Matriarchal family
2 Same-sex family
1 Polygamous family
0 Polyamorous family

Good luck! Hopefully more people will respond to help. :]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:11:08 PM by Snupes »
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 10:35:27 AM »
Hello!My name is Anna.I am a student and I need some information for my diploma. I hope some of you can help me. It is very important for me. Please, answer these questions and send them back somehow, maybe in comments or in a PM. It is too difficult for me to use American forum, honestly speaking I understand nothing here but I hope so much that you will help me. I need the more the better answers...=)

Your age:
male/female

1.   Write, please, 4 -5 words, which come to your mind when you hear the word FAMILY. Don't think twice. Write the first words that you think of.

2.   Number the following types of families, according to your personal opinion on which of the given types the term "family" can be applied to. Use the scale from 0 to 13 (0 showing the worst correlation with the conception of the family, 13- showing the most typical conception of the family)
   Nuclear family (consists of the one generation, usually parents with or without children)
   Extended family (large family of several generations; may include grandparents, brothers and their wives, sisters and their husbands, nephews and nieces)
   Childless family
   Same-sex family
   Heterosexual family
30/Male
1. Love.  Children.  Sacrifice.  Togetherness. 

13 - Nuclear family (consists of the one generation, usually parents with or without children)
12-  Extended family (large family of several generations; may include grandparents, brothers and their wives, sisters and their husbands, nephews and nieces)
13 - [size=78%]Two-parent family (consists of both parents and at least one child)[/size]
 13- Single-parent family (there is no one of the parents)
 13 -  Childless family
   13- Family with the small number of children (1 or 2 children)
   13- Long family or family with 3 or more children
   13- Same-sex family
   13 - Heterosexual family
  13-   Monogamous family (both spouses haven`t got other marriage partners)
   6- Polygamous family (one of the spouses has another marriage partners)
   13- Patriarchal family ( there is a man in the head of the family)
   13- Matriarchal family (there is a woman in the head of the family)
   3 -Polyamory (three persons of both sexes live together in the same house)

I hope I did it correctly.  If not let me know.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 07:13:37 AM »

Your age:
male/female

   Childless family
   Same-sex family
   Heterosexual family
30/Male

13 - Nuclear family (consists of the one generation, usually parents with or without children)
12-  Extended family (large family of several generations; may include grandparents, brothers and their wives, sisters and their husbands, nephews and nieces)
13 - [size=78%]Two-parent family (consists of both parents and at least one child)[/size]
 13 -  Childless family
   13- Same-sex family

To tell the truth the task was to use each number only once, but nevertheless I understand your point of you.Thank you very much :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 09:12:50 AM »

Your age:
male/female

   Childless family
   Same-sex family
   Heterosexual family
30/Male

 13 -  Childless family
   13- Same-sex family

To tell the truth the task was to use each number only once, but nevertheless I understand your point of you.Thank you very much :)
Ah, wasn't sure.  I'll reorder them when I get the chance.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 05:48:59 PM »
Female, 22 years old  4-5 words: Trust, sacrifice, unconditional, burden, safe. Kind of a mixed bag, but. :P  The next one's a little harder for me...they're all equally family to me, I don't think any one is more than the other, so...I'll just list them in order of what's most "common" around here, I guess.  13 Family with a small number of children 12 Nuclear family 11 Two-parent family 10 Extended family 9 Single-parent family 8 Family with three or more children 7 Childless family 6 Heterosexual family 5 Monogamous family 4 Patriarchal family 3 Matriarchal family 2 Same-sex family 1 Polygamous family 0 Polyamorous family   Good luck! Hopefully more people will respond to help. :]

Thanks for the support :)I hope :)

Ghost of V

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 05:49:26 PM »
Snupes, you shouldn't lie about your sex like that. This is serious.