Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
The Science of Forgiveness
« on: February 14, 2024, 01:42:00 AM »
I have recently begun studying a form of alternative science which has received more dismissal and derision in our culture than both Homeopathy and Astrology combined. It is barely given validity outside of certain religious venues despite being a long-known concept in general. This is the science of forgiveness.

There is a disease of hate and judgment which plagues mankind. The only remedy to cure this is through a fundamental philosophical breakthrough within your own self. Your judgmental self is the barrier to many of your psychological ills, which even manifests into the physiological.

The forgiveness philosophy is a way to help yourself through what is essentially a form spiritual enlightenment. Even if you don't believe in anything spiritual, it will help break through the basis of your issues. There are a series of books such as The Power of NOW, the Disappearance of the Universe, and A Return to Love, which are all supplements to the philosophy of a seminal work written in the 1970's called A Course in Miracles. The Disappearance of the Universe book is a good primer with unique background and essential world-building information which makes A Course in Miracles more understandable and I would recommend reading it.

The essential tenet of this philosophy is that you can heal your judgmental self within you - your ego - through the power of forgiveness. You need to start on a journey of forgiveness and forgive the people who have wronged you, forgive the people who annoy you, and who you perceive to do wrong. Their nature is not truly their fault, after all. Go further to even forgive your loved ones who have died on you, and go further on a forgiveness adventure to forgive the world and all its ills. As you let go of all of that judgment, and can truly forgive, it will take you on a path of internal healing and change you at a very fundamental level.

A misconception on the concept of forgiveness is that forgiveness is not necessarily a pardon. You are not pardoning or compromising your morality. Forgiveness is also not for the benefit of the person or thing you are forgiving. The act of forgiveness is mainly for your own personal benefit, so you can move on with your life. The Course in Miracles is a lengthy course on training yourself to forgive at a deep and fundamental level, and forgiving even the things you wouldn't think of forgiving.

There are apparently a number of psychologists who have reviewed this, and say that exposing their clients to this philosophy has done far more than traditional counseling. They claim that there is a demonstrated experimental psychological benefit to forgiveness, which is why I say it is akin to a science.

The material on this does go further and suggest that there is more benefit to forgiveness than just a psychological effect, and that it translates into karma and other meta-physical effects which tends to benefit your life in general.

Another interesting tenet about A Course in Miracles is that the author was an old lady atheist who claims that Jesus Christ spoke to her and guided her to write it. It is essentially a sequel to the New Testament, written for a modern audience with the goal of helping us reach spiritual enlightenment. In The Disappearance of the Universe many surprising claims are made, such as that Jesus wasn't necessarily promoting forgiveness in the NT because he wanted you to be a moral goodie-two shoes, or that morality is even the key, but that forgiveness is really the secret to our internal and external struggles. Jesus reveals that the world's evils are by design (somehow by our own design, satan is our ego manifested as reality), and it is all a test for us to forgive it and ourselves.

In The Disappearance of the Universe book it is revealed that reincarnation exists (erased from the Bible by a Roman dictator), and that over the millennia we reincarnate thousands of times in different scenarios in near proximity to the spirits from our previous lives, gaining spiritual character-quality stats as you try to right the wrongs of your experiences in the next go around. In Disappearance it is suggested that once you learn to forgive, and are able to forgive it all, you have satisfied your own imposed victimhood requirements. There are no more wrongs to correct and you can finally stop reincarnating, to which you reach spiritual enlightenment and can ultimately leave this world.

While it is not necessary to believe any of the supernatural elements of this to derive benefit, and I'm not sure that I do and mainly find it interesting, have you ever even heard that there was a forgiveness book sequel to the New Testament which claims to be written by Jesus and which has gained a following? Of course not. You were not wanted to. This is all the more reason to look into the knowledge which you are being denied.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 06:35:03 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Action80

• View Profile
Re: The Science of Forgiveness
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 11:45:53 AM »
In general, I think most people are so focused on the acts of others they fail to focus on the most important thing and that is their individuality.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 05:03:59 PM »
I've been told that I am too forgiving.

BillO

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 01:44:31 AM »
I've been told that I am too forgiving.
It's your greatest failing Juner!  But I forgive you.

BillO

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 01:51:17 AM »
This is all the more reason to look into the knowledge which you are being denied.

I'm not religious by ant stretch of the imagination so a lot of what you wrote does not resonate with me.  However, this statement does.  I may be taking it the wrong way, but to me it means putting your confirmation bias aside and try to understand things that are new to you or that go against your current and familiar thought processes.  In essence, this is what science is about and is a requirement for true discovery.