« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2014, 07:53:35 PM »
I feel like nothing can top Dark Souls

>mfw

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #161 on: March 11, 2014, 10:40:28 PM »
I keep watching videos of Dark Souls and teasers for Dark Souls II. The game honestly doesn't look fun to play, it looks like people play it simply to say they can beat it. All I can see is a generic RPG with a story that exists but isn't told.

Ghost of V

« Reply #162 on: March 11, 2014, 10:43:07 PM »
I keep watching videos of Dark Souls and teasers for Dark Souls II. The game honestly doesn't look fun to play, it looks like people play it simply to say they can beat it. All I can see is a generic RPG with a story that exists but isn't told.

It's actually surprisingly fun, at least the first one is. The combat is amazing and makes the game for me. If you evade properly and parry effectively you can beat the game without getting hit, in theory. That's awesome. It makes the game more about skill than it does about grinding or leveling up (although, that helps). I can see how the combat could appear sluggish or something if you're watching a video, though.

« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2014, 12:22:10 AM »
Snupes is a social justice warrior.

Quiet, cishet shitlord.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2014, 03:08:16 AM »
Kotaku is tumblr for video games

But tumblr doesn't keep you informed on the latest games, trailers, announcements and other miscellania like Kotaku D:
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2014, 03:12:57 AM »
But tumblr doesn't keep you informed on the latest games, trailers, announcements and other miscellania like Kotaku D:

Well, that really depends on what your idea of "informed" is.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2014, 03:38:36 AM »
I'm not trying to argue that Kotaku's writing is good, but I'd be hard-pressed to deny that it's kept me pretty damn up-to-date with gaming and gaming news, as well as some other things on the side.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2014, 04:50:09 AM »
Kotaku is actually infamous for picking up on news stories particularly slowly, which is why we have pictures like this:

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2014, 05:18:02 AM »
Like what? It hasn't really afforded me any moments where I tell someone something I've heard from it and it's old news or something. However, if there are other sites that cover the same range of topics better feel free to recommend them rather than being completely unhelpful. I visit Polygon, too, and I don't know if that's just as bad but they tend to have the same stories as Kotaku in the same time-frame or slower, while being better writing-wise.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2014, 05:51:16 AM »
It's not fun to play.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #170 on: March 13, 2014, 07:37:18 PM »
I really don't like this new thing where your max health keeps going down every time you die, and there's only a limited number of effigies you can use to reverse the effect.  And only one fucking dose of Estus, seriously?

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 13, 2014, 07:44:47 PM »
What's this, is the game too hard for you?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #172 on: March 13, 2014, 09:35:22 PM »
No, but I don't like the vague threat of permanent disadvantages hanging over my head.  I wouldn't mind if the effigies were more like traditional consumables that enemies could drop, because then at least there would be some breathing room to play around with them and figure out when they should be conserved and when they should be used.  But with a strict limit on how many there are, there's no recourse if you discover that you should have used them on this other point in the game when you have none left.

Also, if you kill them enough times, enemies stop respawning when you rest at a bonfire.  That worries me.  Okay, it'll be helpful to not have to kill the same enemies I've killed fifty times before on my way to a boss, but what if I really need to farm souls?  Again, it's like the game is putting artificial restrictions on my ability to recover from mistakes.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2014, 03:44:59 AM »
No, but I don't like the vague threat of permanent disadvantages hanging over my head.  I wouldn't mind if the effigies were more like traditional consumables that enemies could drop, because then at least there would be some breathing room to play around with them and figure out when they should be conserved and when they should be used.  But with a strict limit on how many there are, there's no recourse if you discover that you should have used them on this other point in the game when you have none left.

Also, if you kill them enough times, enemies stop respawning when you rest at a bonfire.  That worries me.  Okay, it'll be helpful to not have to kill the same enemies I've killed fifty times before on my way to a boss, but what if I really need to farm souls?  Again, it's like the game is putting artificial restrictions on my ability to recover from mistakes.

Well, most of you lemmings bought their last game simply because it was hard to play, or at least they think that's why you bought it. What do you do then? Make the game harder!

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2014, 05:10:30 AM »

Or maybe you're wrong about both of those things. How about that?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2014, 05:44:00 AM »
How to be good at Dark Souls.
The Mastery.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2014, 08:37:59 AM »
vidya game design
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2014, 09:01:04 AM »
How to not die and be forced to replay the same parts over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until you get lucky enough to reach a bonfire.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2014, 12:49:48 PM »

What the hell are you talking about?  I'm already playing the game, remember?  I'm not wrong about the things I've already observed.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2014, 12:59:08 PM »

What the hell are you talking about?  I'm already playing the game, remember?  I'm not wrong about the things I've already observed.

Oh, you've completed and found everything out about the game already? That was fast.

In all seriousness, I guess you haven't heard that it's possible to make enemies respawn again. And I might as well assume that there's a way to get effigies you don't know about either.