Saddam Hussein

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (cast list released!)
« Reply #180 on: May 05, 2015, 11:45:42 PM »
Abrams is notorious for putting incredibly blatant attempts at pandering to fans in his works, which frequently backfire because of how on the nose and predictable they end up being.  If he really does include this, there's no way it would be anything so subtle that only a few people would notice.  Abrams does not do subtlety.  Anyway, it's still a dumb idea.  I don't want to see or be reminded of Jar Jar at all.  What the movie really needs to do is just focus on telling its own story and leave the past where it is.

Of course, seeing how they're handwaving away the supposedly-happy ending of RotJ and rehashing the Empire as antagonists, it may be too late to hope for something like that.  inb4 Benedict Cumberbatch is cast as a clone of the Emperor.  They should exclusively refer to him as Sheev.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 01:22:02 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Rama Set

« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2015, 11:52:50 PM »
Even Lucas realized that Jar Jar was a bad idea by Episode III. Unless Abrams is having Jar Jar's grandchild drawn and quartered, I can live with that.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2015, 12:00:06 AM »
Abrams is notorious for putting incredibly blatant attempts at pandering to fans in his works, which frequently backfire because of how on the nose and predictable they end up being.  If Abrams really does include this, there's no way it would be anything so subtle that only a few people would notice.  Abrams does not do subtlety.  Anyway, it's still a dumb idea.  I don't want to see or be reminded of Jar Jar at all.  What the movie really needs to do is just focus on telling its own story and leave the past where it is.

Of course, seeing how they're handwaving away the supposedly-happy ending of RotJ and rehashing the Empire as antagonists, it may be too late to hope for something like that.  inb4 Benedict Cumberbatch is cast as a clone of the Emperor.  They should exclusively refer to him as Sheev.

I think it would be really rad if there were a scene where Jay Jay walks up to Jar Jar, winks directly at the audience, and shoots him in the head with a big shotgun.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2015, 12:01:51 AM »
Abrams is notorious for putting incredibly blatant attempts at pandering to fans in his works, which frequently backfire because of how on the nose and predictable they end up being.  If Abrams really does include this, there's no way it would be anything so subtle that only a few people would notice.  Abrams does not do subtlety.  Anyway, it's still a dumb idea.  I don't want to see or be reminded of Jar Jar at all.  What the movie really needs to do is just focus on telling its own story and leave the past where it is.

In fairness, it makes sense that the fighting didn't stop with Episode 6. Endor was only a contingent of the Empire's fleet, although it did contain their leadership. I mean, it's supposed to be a galactic empire, so it would be surprising that 1 space battle ended them entirely. Much of the extended universe deals with it, even though they're throwing that out.

Ghost of V

« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2015, 12:25:28 AM »
I've never seen a coherent reason for anyone's vehement hatred of Binks. Feels like some bandwagon shit to me.

Can anyone offer something better than: "he's annoying"?

« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2015, 01:00:10 AM »
I've never seen a coherent reason for anyone's vehement hatred of Binks. Feels like some bandwagon shit to me.

The prequels had much bigger problems. Jar Jar is just an easy target. He's a shoe horned, arguably racist caricature that serves no purpose besides extremely forced comic relief. But I don't feel strongly on him at all, and including his bones comes across as very fan-servicey.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2015, 02:14:44 AM »

You talkin' bout this?

MY NAME IS... KHAN!

Kirk: "Should that, should that like mean something to us?"

DIDN'T YOU HEAR ME? MY NAME IS... KHAN!

Kirk: "I'm still not seeing it..."

I'M NOT TALKING TO YOU, I'M BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL RIGHT NOW! MY NAME IS KHAAAAAAN!

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2015, 02:33:17 AM »

Why should that not be sufficient?

Ghost of V

« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2015, 02:40:12 AM »

That's sufficient on a personal level, but almost an entire fanbase?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2015, 02:46:31 AM »

That's sufficient on a personal level, but almost an entire fanbase?

Fanbases are composed solely of persons who feel things on a personal level, so yes.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #190 on: May 06, 2015, 08:39:09 PM »

The prequels had much bigger problems. Jar Jar is just an easy target. He's a shoe horned, arguably racist caricature that serves no purpose besides extremely forced comic relief. But I don't feel strongly on him at all, and including his bones comes across as very fan-servicey.

Wisely stated.

You talkin' bout this?

MY NAME IS... KHAN!

Kirk: "Should that, should that like mean something to us?"

DIDN'T YOU HEAR ME? MY NAME IS... KHAN!

Kirk: "I'm still not seeing it..."

I'M NOT TALKING TO YOU, I'M BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL RIGHT NOW! MY NAME IS KHAAAAAAN!

Yes, that was one particularly egregious example.  Another would be those idiot thieves on Lost whom nobody liked and so were killed off in the most ridiculously mean-spirited way possible.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #191 on: August 12, 2015, 05:09:13 PM »
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/12/star-wars-luke-skywalker-hooked-jj-abrams

Undeterred, Kennedy persuaded [Abrams] to helm Star Wars: The Force Awakens by asking a simple question, one with the potential to upend our core beliefs about the galaxy far, far away. “In the context of talking about story and laying out what we were thinking, I said one thing to him,” Kennedy recalls. “‘Who is Luke Skywalker?’”

Abrams, who’s 49 now but was only 11 when the original Star Wars debuted in 1977, decided he needed to know the answer, even if he had to devise it himself. “He said, ‘Oh my God, I just got the chills. I’m in,’” Kennedy says. “I mean, it really was almost that quickly.”

Uh, deep?

“Any good story has conflict,” Abrams says. “And if all were rosy 30-some years post-Jedi, we would be hard-pressed to find an interesting story to tell.”

And therefore, they decided to just rehash the conflict from the original trilogy instead of coming up with their own.

The Empire has morphed into a junta known as The First Order, while X-Wing pilots like Oscar Isaac’s Poe Dameron now fly for a splinter group known as the Resistance.

Like I said.  Yes, I'm still mad about this.  This isn't The Wire in space.  It's science fantasy; a lighthearted space opera.  There's no need for it to be so realistic as to depict a galactic war just stretching on endlessly.  And no, before those of you too lazy to read my previous posts ask me yet again, I'm not saying that blowing up the second Death Star and killing the Emperor would have ended the war instantly.  But it's not a huge stretch to just say that at some point in the thirty years or so since the end of the original trilogy, the war was more or less wrapped up, so that these movies can focus on telling their own stories, not dredging up the past to tell that story again.  Seeing how apparently nobody agrees with me, I'll leave it at that and stop bitching about it.  Just imagine me with a disapproving look on my face as I sadly shake my head.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 12, 2015, 05:42:22 PM »
I agree, Star Period of Relative Peace would be an excellent movie.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 12, 2015, 07:38:52 PM »
I agree with Saddam.  The war should be over with the exception of maybe a few imperial loyal systems still around.

Then they can focus on the solo twins and their conflict.

Also: who is Luke Skywalker?  Really?  They answered that in the original trilogy.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 13, 2015, 02:20:04 PM »

He's a massive screen-hog. Every time he's in frame, all the action has to be about Jar Jar and his 'hilarious' antics, like the Droid-v-Gungan battle of Naboo. That had the potential to be as awesome as the Battle of Hoth, a big set-piece battle with thousands of troops, very different fighting styles, all whilst knowing that the Gungans were just fighting to buy time - a backs-against-the-wall standoff which could have actually shown us why the Trade federation were so bad. Instead, in comes Jar Jar, bumping into battle droids, dropping those blue ball-things, flailing his arms about like a loon and generally being an attention whore.

If he'd just been an incidental character who gave the Jedi the directions to Boss Nass, I doubt he'd be remembered, much less hated.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 14, 2015, 03:27:14 AM »
Seeing how apparently nobody agrees with me, I'll leave it at that and stop bitching about it.
I doubt it.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #196 on: October 02, 2015, 12:18:28 AM »
shitpost

Thanks for adding to the discussion, markjo. ::)

In relevant news:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-force-awakens-kathleen-828680

How many movies are they going to be making? ???  Also:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-bits-more-force-awakens-books-general-hux-admiral-ackbar-and-more/

Admiral Ackbar is back.  I really hope there won't be any jokey references to the "It's a trap!" meme.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 02, 2015, 03:22:59 AM »
No, you'll just find out Admiral Ackbar's first name is "Allah".

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 02, 2015, 10:55:24 AM »
How many movies are they going to be making?

You're surprised that a major fantasy franchise is hopping on the cinematic universe bandwagon?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #199 on: October 20, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »

Looks good.