Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 US Presidential Race
« Reply #1820 on: November 20, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »
Everything you said and linked still contradicts Trump's use of Safe Space.  Pence's "safe space" would be his home or Donald's penthouse at Trump Tower.
Okay, so it seems like you think I've made a leap of judgement here. Fair enough, I didn't present a good enough example. I was trying to illustrate the ridiculous mentality, not draw a direct parallel. Let's try something else. How about the Yale students who believe Yale is not about creating an intellectual space, but rather creating a home, a space of comfort?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3308422/Students-rage-professor-sent-email-telling-students-just-look-away-offended-Halloween-costumes.html

We're completely in agreement that this mentality is stupid. You don't need to convince me of that, or explain to my why it's self-contradictory. Unfortunately, it still exist, and it's gaining in popularity. The left just enjoys ignoring it when it happens on their side (i.e. most of the time).
Yeah... that's a bit much.  Like I said, calming rooms (safe spaces) are medically sound ideas and I'm all in favor of it, but it should be for a "I'm being hit with a PTSD attack" and not "I'm angry that I have to look at a Hitler costume!". 

Extremists on both sides suck.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

George

« Reply #1821 on: November 20, 2016, 03:14:12 PM »
I don't think it's necessary to make a tu quoque argument about the existence of people on the left who whine and complain excessively in response to trivial or nonexistent issues.  We already know that.  It's very much a mainstream narrative.  My argument is that a blind eye is turned to the sheer number of crybabies who can't handle differences of opinion on the right, of whom there are just as many as there are of oversensitive leftists.  Oh, and one of whom has now bafflingly been elected president.  We'll see plenty more of them coming out of the woodwork around this time of year to bitch about Christmas not being publicly acknowledged enough, or something along those lines.  Remember this insanity from last year?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: November 20, 2016, 03:21:21 PM »
I don't think it's necessary to make a tu quoque argument
I mean... I agree... but you literally opened this conversation with a tu quoque, and I'm in the middle of telling you off for that. Are you now changing your position?

It never ceases to amaze me how the exact same people who rant about liberals being easily-offended special snowflakes have rallied around a man who's probably the most oversensitive crybaby in the history of American politics.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 03:25:13 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: November 20, 2016, 05:03:29 PM »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: November 20, 2016, 05:16:55 PM »
I think you mean when /r/politics pretended to be a nonpartisan space, but asshammered any post that didn't conform.

At least the other shitty sub didn't pretend to be objective.

i wasn't criticizing the_donald.  i think that literally is the purpose of a safe space.  like, i think it's fine for trump supporters to have a place to get stoked about trump without having to defend the premise to anyone else.  i only don't think it applies to being politely thanked and asked to pay careful attention to the themes of the performance.

I agree. Just wanted to point out the r/politics are cunts.

George

« Reply #1825 on: November 20, 2016, 05:23:07 PM »
I don't think it's necessary to make a tu quoque argument
I mean... I agree... but you literally opened this conversation with a tu quoque, and I'm in the middle of telling you off for that. Are you now changing your position?

It never ceases to amaze me how the exact same people who rant about liberals being easily-offended special snowflakes have rallied around a man who's probably the most oversensitive crybaby in the history of American politics.

My tu quoque is exactly why we don't need a second tu quoque.  It's redundant.  If I weren't already conceding my own side's guilt/responsibility, my argument would be "NO U!" rather than tu quoque.

Offline Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is round. Prove I'm wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: November 21, 2016, 01:51:30 AM »
I'm black and I voted for President Trump. Take that, SJWs!
Isaiah 40:22 "It is he that sitteth upon the CIRCLE of the earth"

Scripture, science, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion. Can dumb luck create a smart brain?

Please PM me to explain sunsets.

Rama Set

« Reply #1827 on: November 21, 2016, 03:51:10 AM »

You really showed them.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: November 22, 2016, 12:32:12 PM »
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/21/502951630/trump-airs-greivances-fields-questions-in-meeting-with-top-tv-news-figures

This is kinda funny.  Basically Trump invited reporters to his tower, told them they aren't good at their jobs and are horrible, then his Advisor had to stop him and say how Trump wanted to make their relationship better.  Then he took questions about his policy.

This whole meeting was purely off the record.

Yes, let's allow the press to ask policy questions but not be allowed to publish it.  That's a great way to get the message out.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: November 22, 2016, 01:50:41 PM »
NPR is great.

I've been hearing such stupid things. Like how Trump criticized NBC for using a picture of him with his double chin showing? What a silly man.

Honestly, the most obvious and present issue with a Trump presidency seems to be his conflict of interests. He has something like 75 pending lawsuits and of course lots of business ventures that he refuses to turn over to a blind trust.

George

« Reply #1830 on: November 22, 2016, 03:11:42 PM »
But Hillary and her emails!!!!!!!111

« Reply #1831 on: November 22, 2016, 03:16:03 PM »
the 2-for-1 rule trump proposed has got to be one of the more asinine things i've ever heard.  hey dummy: you're tacitly admitting that some regulations are productive and beneficial, which means that "less regulation always = more good" isn't true, which means that the number of regulations doesn't matter.

"regulation is always a barrier to productivity and freedom" is getting almost as tired as "taxes are the same as stealing."  ugh.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

• View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: November 23, 2016, 01:44:03 AM »

You really showed them.

Thank you.

Rama Set

« Reply #1834 on: November 23, 2016, 02:15:22 AM »

You really showed them.

Thank you.

So how are you enjoying Trump backing off on most of his promises so far?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: November 23, 2016, 08:00:19 AM »

You really showed them.

Thank you.

This just shows how efficient he is as a business man.  Unlike other politicians, which back out of their promises slowly over time and use vague language to justify it, Donald Trump cuts through the Washington BS and not only says it out right but BEFORE he even takes office.

Truly a man who represents America.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: November 23, 2016, 10:41:52 AM »
Or.... Trump, realises that those that fear what he represents are happy to imagine he will abandon his stance, and those that voted him in, quite happily sneering from the side-lines while he comes into line.

Until he gets sworn in. He will not, he cannot, he does not want to become another bland part of the machine. The moment he takes office expect a fire in the pentagon, attributed to a Democratic, Mexican Muslim, pro-abortion gun snatching terrorist organisation, followed by the Pentagon fire decree suspending all personal freedom. By June, bibles, Billy clubs, book burning and bad hair styles. Welcome to the neo golden age.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:19:41 AM by Jura-Glenlivet »
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: November 23, 2016, 01:30:38 PM »
Or.... Trump, realises that those that fear what he represents are happy to imagine he will abandon his stance, and those that voted him in, quite happily sneering from the side-lines while he comes into line.

Until he gets sworn in. He will not, he cannot, he does not want to become another bland part of the machine. The moment he takes office expect a fire in the pentagon, attributed to a Democratic, Mexican Muslim, pro-abortion gun snatching terrorist organisation, followed by the Pentagon fire decree suspending all personal freedom. By June, bibles, Billy clubs, book burning and bad hair styles. Welcome to the neo golden age.

This seems like over-the-top rhetoric. Most of your other posts, that I've read, seem very sensible and level-headed. I agree he  got elected on the promise that he wouldn't be "another bland part of the machine." But your description of how he is going to be different is ultra-pessimistic. I have never been a big Trump fan, but now that he is elected let's see what he can accomplish. There is something to be said for not being "another bland part of the machine." Whether Trump is better or worse than the status quo depends on how he is different. I am a little worried but also hopeful.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: November 23, 2016, 03:42:29 PM »
Most of your other posts, that I've read, seem very sensible and level-headed.

Why thank you sir. Unfortunately, when someone mentions Trump, “a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi troubles my sight”, I see marching armies, burning corpses and floppy fringes, and “a gaze blank and pitiless as the sun”. I suppose four years from now we will know if I should be committed to an asylum or burnt at the stake.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

• View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: November 24, 2016, 02:21:39 AM »

You really showed them.

Thank you.

I wouldn't say most. As far as his main promise about locking up Hillary, all he said was he isn't going to pursue it. That doesn't mean he'll appoint a FBI director that will.