Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
The Earth Plane
« on: August 25, 2018, 12:27:03 AM »
Eric Dubay has come out with a book called The Earth Plane.

"The Earth Plane is a full-color illustrated science adventure story that follows a young boy and his grandfather through a series of scientific experiments and expeditions ending in an incredible discovery that our world is not at all what we have been taught!"

PDF Version

Youtube Audiobook format

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 06:29:06 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline timterroo

• domo arigato gozaimashita
    • View Profile
Re: The Earth Plane
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 02:47:02 AM »
Hmm... I wonder why, when observing the stars, they didn't realize that the reason the stars do not change their positions is because they are light years away! The are too far away for us to notice their movements. If the stars and constellations were in or even slightly near our galaxy, then yes they should, and would, change.
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 03:05:07 PM »
Hmm... I wonder why, when observing the stars, they didn't realize that the reason the stars do not change their positions is because they are light years away! The are too far away for us to notice their movements. If the stars and constellations were in or even slightly near our galaxy, then yes they should, and would, change.
Indeed. I've only got to page 8 and there is already so much which is clearly wrong. Polaris being fixed for example. Just plain wrong:

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/north-star-movement

This is where the difference between what can be seen and what can be measured is important.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 05:47:16 AM »

I think the book might be referencing the Precession of the Equinoxes problem.

The stars should be moving over time. The precession is slow. 25,920 yrs = 360° rotation. Divide that up, and the axis of the earth moves at one degree per 72 years in respect to the stars, or 1/4th of a degree every 18 years. Yet the North Star is in the same place it was 72 and 18 years ago. The North Star has not been documented to move, despite the theory that the star configurations were different eons ago. Ancient monuments that were built to point directly at the North Star are, in fact, still lined up with the North Star.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:10:18 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 01:25:44 PM »
I'm not a fan of Mr Dubay, but I actually quite enjoyed that book.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 06:11:09 AM »

I think the book might be referencing the Precession of the Equinoxes problem.

The stars should be moving over time. The precession is slow. 25,920 yrs = 360° rotation. Divide that up, and the axis of the earth moves at one degree per 72 years in respect to the stars, or 1/4th of a degree every 18 years. Yet the North Star is in the same place it was 72 and 18 years ago. The North Star has not been documented to move, despite the theory that the star configurations were different eons ago. Ancient monuments that were built to point directly at the North Star are, in fact, still lined up with the North Star.

[/quote]

Your question is actually more powerful than that: why doesn't Polaris move if we rotate around the Sun?

The answer lies with the fact that Polaris wobbles in a well understood, measurable fashion: https://www.lpi.usra.edu/education/skytellers/polaris/

Polaris is only the North Star because we’re currently using it as such. 3000 years ago the North Star was Thuban in the constellation of Draco. In 13,000 years we’ll be pointing at Vega as the North Star. And then about 10,000 years after that it will be Thuban again, followed by Polaris in another 3000 years.

Indeed, s=r*\theta, so one second of arc does not apply equally to all bodies at different "r" away, insofar as "s" is concerned. One can only assume your argument to be correct by also automatically assuming that all stars exist on a surface equidistant from Earth.