Offline Mock

• View Profile
Basically, I wanted to draw some attention to this:
(I figured this might merit its own topic, since it's more of a theoretical question and doesn't have anything to do with high altitude balloon videos)

The question the FE'ers don't like you to ask is how the moon is lit by the beam of spotlight sun at night...and if it isn't, how the hell are there phases of the moon?
The sun has two beams of light?

Well - it needs another one to cast light on Venus, and another on Mercury, and...well, one for every planet, moon, asteroid and comet that shows "phases" when viewed through a telescope.

In the "unipolar" map - the beam that lights up the Earth would have to be semi-circular in order to light up just the half of the world that is in daylight.

In the "bipolar" map - the beam would have to have little curved tails and change shape continually through the day and through the year in order to track the weird shapes of the lines of longitude.  The data from solar panel plants on PVoutput.org clearly demonstrates how that shape must be changing.

Can the Flat Earth Society explain why the Sun, as postulated by both FE models, only illuminates part of the Earth, while at the same time illuminating other objects, such as the Moon (which is definitely being illuminated)?

Offline Mark_1984

• View Profile
Re: Spotlight Sun Illuminating the Moon and Planets - how is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:13:26 AM »
Simple answer ?  No they can’t. 

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 12:45:28 PM »
Basically, I wanted to draw some attention to this:
(I figured this might merit its own topic, since it's more of a theoretical question and doesn't have anything to do with high altitude balloon videos)

The question the FE'ers don't like you to ask is how the moon is lit by the beam of spotlight sun at night...and if it isn't, how the hell are there phases of the moon?
The sun has two beams of light?

Well - it needs another one to cast light on Venus, and another on Mercury, and...well, one for every planet, moon, asteroid and comet that shows "phases" when viewed through a telescope.

In the "unipolar" map - the beam that lights up the Earth would have to be semi-circular in order to light up just the half of the world that is in daylight.

In the "bipolar" map - the beam would have to have little curved tails and change shape continually through the day and through the year in order to track the weird shapes of the lines of longitude.  The data from solar panel plants on PVoutput.org clearly demonstrates how that shape must be changing.

Can the Flat Earth Society explain why the Sun, as postulated by both FE models, only illuminates part of the Earth, while at the same time illuminating other objects, such as the Moon (which is definitely being illuminated)?

And they can't explain this - which shows roughly where the "spotlight" would have to shine at midnight GMT.

Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 01:51:24 PM »

You must have missed my previous warning about low-content in the upper fora. Warned again.

If you have nothing useful to add, don't bother posting. Thanks!

Offline Mark_1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 02:02:08 PM »

You must have missed my previous warning about low-content in the upper fora. Warned again.

If you have nothing useful to add, don't bother posting. Thanks!

I cry foul with this warning.  He asked a question and I answered it.  I’ll admit the post that earnt me my first warning was deserved, for which I apologised.
Anyway, I’m happy for my answer in post 2 to be proved wrong.