totallackey

Re: How GPS Works and what about 64 satellites claimed by NASA
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2020, 04:31:52 PM »
Transliteration - "the process of transferring a word from the alphabet of one language to another."

How does this relate to GPS?
Transliteration - "the process of transferring a word from the alphabet of one language to another."

How does this relate to GPS?
He's obviously talking about trilateration, probably got autocorrected to oblivion. Please, try to use your brain every now and then.
My apologies for failure to proofread prior to the post.

I did indeed mean trilateration.

Please accept my apologies.

totallackey

« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2020, 04:34:37 PM »
I was discussing visibility with another poster.
I don't think that really bothers you, does it?
This being a public forum, I thought joining a discussion and adding to it was the very idea of it?
Did I miss a "this is a private dialogue" flag? If so - sincere apologies.
I have no private discussions in the forum.

You were simply categorizing my reply to the OP and another member as somehow not contributing to the discussion which you wanted to have.

Keep having your discussion.

If you believe my contributions are not actually contributions to the topic, then you should use the "report," feature and have a moderator address it.
I joined this discussion, because I'm curious how GPS could work without satellites.
Can you provide any insight on that issue?

iC
Already did, in several spots.

Overall, I stated I believe transliteration and triangulation are at play, but not at the altitudes claimed for satellites.
You can believe that, but you are wrong. Clearly you have no details of an alternative explanation. 'are at play' is not enough.
"are at play," is enough for alternative explanations, especially if the suggestions have been put to use effectively in other areas.

You are right.

You clearly believe my belief is in error.

« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2020, 04:37:25 PM »
Just for clarity, in case anyone has doubt, I find it highly suspicious that both Google Maps (the system I utilize on my smartphone, which I use pretty much exclusively now) and the Garmin system (plus I used TomTom briefly) have conclusively demonstrated (at least to me in various commutes) to lose signal access to these supposed GPS satellites in the same general areas where I have no cell phone signal.

For me anyway, I think it demonstrates the idea of GPS "satellites" is total hoakum.

Please indulge me the next time you lose Cell Coverage. Turn off cell service and then open up your preferred map app. My guess is it will know where you are.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Inigo Montoya

EngineerMan

« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2020, 03:24:14 AM »
Just for clarity, in case anyone has doubt, I find it highly suspicious that both Google Maps (the system I utilize on my smartphone, which I use pretty much exclusively now) and the Garmin system (plus I used TomTom briefly) have conclusively demonstrated (at least to me in various commutes) to lose signal access to these supposed GPS satellites in the same general areas where I have no cell phone signal.

For me anyway, I think it demonstrates the idea of GPS "satellites" is total hoakum.
Is this indoors?  You may think that, but there is no doubt about how the various GPS systems work.  Do you have details of how you think it works, in detail.  Note that GPS works in the middle of oceans.
My commutes take place on county roads, city streets, state and US highways and Interstates.

My commutes requiring the use of Google Maps and Garmin and TomTom involve an automobile.

What personal evidence do you have that GPS works in the middle of oceans?

I have personal evidence it works in the middle of a desert without cellphone reception.  Why would it not work in the middle of the ocean then?

Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2020, 03:57:03 AM »
I have personal experience that GPS works in the middle of the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian Oceans.  At any time I could pull out my iPhone and see a GPS position that exactly matched the positions displayed by the ship's GPS receivers on the bridge. 
You can lead flat earthers to the curve but you can't make them think!

« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2020, 06:03:20 AM »

Watch this video guys!

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2020, 10:33:35 AM »

Watch this video guys!

The hollywood special fx is an interesting argument when we've had footage from NASA and Russia since the 60s. There are videos from skylab which would have been very hard to fake without todays CGI technology.

I'm interested to think he only thinks we went up and checked the shape of the earth in 1972. I believe the first photo from a rocket showing the shape of the earth was from the 1940s.

Amused about how he says he calmly deals with insults when he's infamous for shouting down, insulting and muting people who call into his YouTube chats.

I like the fact he says he doesn't trust the maps "they" give us. But he spent years travelling the world as a sales rep and I'd be surprised if he doesn't use GPS to get around.

And I don't agree the shape of the earth is important. I mean, truth is important generally so in that sense it is but actually would it change my day to day life? Not really.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2020, 11:02:51 AM »
VID

Watch this video guys!

Why? Please tell us what there is of any quality within it...
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2020, 12:53:21 PM »
VID

Watch this video guys!

Why? Please tell us what there is of any quality within it...

So you will decide what quality and what not to the standard? Yes you can asked for information when you guys keep saying that we can use GPS in middle of the sea so I shared authentic information by a traveler who traveled around the world and still thinks that earth is flat. 

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2020, 01:14:56 PM »
I shared authentic information by a traveler who traveled around the world and still thinks that earth is flat.

It's contradictory within the space of five minutes. In the fifth minute, he contradicts what he said in the first.

He travelled as a PASSENGER, he did not navigate himself around the world.....

Nearly?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2020, 01:36:48 PM »
I shared authentic information by a traveler who traveled around the world and still thinks that earth is flat.

It's contradictory within the space of five minutes. In the fifth minute, he contradicts what he said in the first.

He travelled as a PASSENGER, he did not navigate himself around the world.....
There's also some debate whether he's really a flat earther or is just doing it for the clicks

The arguments he presents are so idiotic it does make you wonder whether he's just trying to make FE people look stupid or is just trying to make money.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2020, 01:56:07 PM »
Here's the YT transcript of what he said

based on what they're showing us it seems very fake when we're being presented with things like the moon landing footage and
you've only got to look at it with a critical eye to see that it's done on a set

No evidence or proof offered, only claim

in my last career I was traveling around the world as an international sales rep and as I traveled around the world what I
observed on almost every flight was the same thing which was lots of people staring at the back of their head rests
and observing the latest movie drinking booze falling asleep whereas I would actually be at the back of the plane
looking at the emergency exit window which had the widest viewing angle and observing the flat plane below

Just an anecdote.

that being the case when I came across a "math powerland" video on YouTube and he uttered the words flatter not in ridicule but in the same context as we are talking about today he immediately was a Eureka moment I mean I literally went and woke my wife
up and told her that the earth was flat

Again, just an anecdote

well NASA were developed for the sole purpose of lying to us

Not proven

their only purpose is to perpetuate the globe lie

Not so. The first A in NASA stands for AERONAUTICS

every single story that is told by NASA has the sub context ...

NASA are not the only space agency in the world.

the Illuminati um I don't know a great deal about the Illuminati

Why talk about it, then?

I think the reason we get these insults is because we are pre-programmed from birth
to ridicule the idea of Flat Earth we're told that it's a notion of Philistines it's something that we have progressed beyond
so I tend to not overreact to people who are insulting to me about the subject and try and ask them to either if they're very
combative prove what they believe which is the globe or ask them to research Flat Earth

Nothing of substance in this

well I've never been to the ends of the earth so it's a difficult one to give you an answer is the moon fake news no
but does the moon have fake news surrounding it yes absolutely of all of the celestial bodies it's the one that
would most indicate surface ferocity right word being spherical and therefore it's used by people like NASA to prop up
the notion that we are live living on aids s fear also so it's used to perpetuate fake news

Nothing of substance

do I get ridiculed now no

Yes, he does

doesn't seem to be the case a couple years on it's more like this people actually wanting
to know more information about the subject to doing a be research themselves so I think it seems things have progressed

Yet he still gets barely a few hundred views, worldwide, for his daily FE debates....

I don't have an actual explanation for how the seasons work I don't know what the Sun is same technically goes for the moon I don't
know what the moon is

Why talk about them, then?

and further that I don't trust any of the maps that they give us absolutely it is fundamental to
state of being is fundamental to our existence if we said they are right the perpetrators of the life you like are
correct then we are absolutely and totally insignificant we are a speck of dust in a soup of nothing expanding into
a massive infinite space of nothingness whereas the converse is that we are in an enclosed system therefore we're it

Nothing of substance

Nearly?

Offline iCare

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2020, 05:48:13 PM »
Watch this video guys!
I did it ... I actually endured 5 min of some bloke - a travelling salesman none the less - proudly telling everyone, that he can't really explain, prove or even guess how anything about a flat earth could work.

Closing statement: If the earth were round, we (he?) would be insignificant - so it needs to be flat, so "we're it".

To me it would seem quite the other way round.
Being "bottled up" in an enclosed system would make us insignificant, if only by precluding any chance of "going beyond" in any way.

It's actually quite ironic.
Conspiracy theories claim that RE is (amongst other things) a lie to keep people under control and "within their limits" (i.e. keeping the south pole off limits), when it actually encourages crossing borders and "going beyond", both physically and mentally.
On the other hand, the FE idea does limit people physically (wall, dome, ...) and mentally (there is nothing to go to anyway).

wajeehleo, what was your point in linking this video?

iC
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:46:50 PM by iCare »
"I'm sorry, if you were right, I would agree with you."
Robin Williams as Dr. Sayer in "Awakenings" (1990)

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2020, 06:18:45 PM »
There is no doubt how GPS works
TL is suggesting the opposite.
Not clear if he saying he just loses internet access.  GPS receiver will show satellites being received from, he needs to check that.  Not just NASA claiming number of satellites, other systems used.

Have you verified that they are satellites?

I don't know about him but I have verified they are satellites, I can see them pass overhead any clear night.  I have an old Garmin that tells me what sats I am connected to and I can see them pass over and then when they go over the horizon the signal drops. Anyone can track sats with cheap apps that point them out.  It's easy if you open your mind and your eyes Tom.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2020, 06:28:50 PM »
I have offered first hand experience regarding the use of strict GPS devices and Google Maps for Android devices here in this thread.

I have written about my experience with both types of devices, stating clearly that GPS devices and cellphones experience signal degradation and total signal loss in the same areas while I am using them.

These are not thoughts on the matter.

These are statements of facts about the matter.

It would seem to me you are in a better position to provide the details of the transmitter locations...

You claim right here to have seen them.

Next time you see them, take a pic and post them.

Your anecdotal evidence aside, I have never lost GPS signal if the sky is clear ala not under an overpass and I have never heard of a single person ever losing GPS signal.   

I have used GPS in the ocean where there was no cell signal.   Maybe not the middle of the ocean but very far out.   Between Galveston Tx and Cozumel Mexico, there are a few spots with cell signals when you are in sight of the oil rigs but only then, yet GPS works the whole way from dock to dock.

Plus I can see the satellites pass over but I did not see any towers.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2020, 06:40:24 PM »
But you can see GPS satellites with your own eyes and no balloon can cross the night sky that fast.  Right?
I scoured the internet for images of a GPS satellite and I found no photographs of a GPS satellite.

There is no possible way you can see a GPS satellite at a reported height of 22,000 miles above the earth.

1. Why would you expect to find one? In order to get a photo of one in orbit, one would need to fly a camera-carrying craft within camera range. I don't know if you realise it, but the safe way to operate spacecraft is to keep them away from each other, not fly them close.

Also, when you do cost/benefit on the exercise of photographing a GPS satellite, what IS the benefit?

2. You can see the reflected light from it, far beyond the range at which you can discern the object itself. The principles behind the Heliograph, wherein reflected light from a mirror can be seen far further than the mirror itself, is well known

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliograph

Here's a picture of a 2018 GPS 3 sat, at 30s and beyond

If you read the post I quoted, TomInAustin makes the false claim you can see a GPS satellite in orbit.

Because the reality is you cannot see a GPS satellite in orbit.

Further, all that is available on Google when a search is performed ("images of a GPS satellite in orbit") are artist renderings.

I have no idea what your video is about or if it is even meant to address about the validity of my response to TomInAustin.

Regardless, the truth remains and that truth is you cannot see a GPS satellite in orbit while standing on the surface of the earth.

So you have never seen a satellite cross the night sky?  In the exact position that it is supposed to be? 

I have checked the sats I was connected to, looked them up in Starwalk that points to the location and wow, there is a bright light crossing the sky.

ISS is the easiest to spot since it is the biggest and has the most surface area. 

totallackey

« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2020, 01:11:30 PM »
So you have never seen a satellite cross the night sky?  In the exact position that it is supposed to be?
I don't know about exact position, but yes I have seen a satellite cross the sky.
I have checked the sats I was connected to, looked them up in Starwalk that points to the location and wow, there is a bright light crossing the sky.

ISS is the easiest to spot since it is the biggest and has the most surface area.
I agree on the ISS.

I disagree with the claim you made on GPS sats being visible.

« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2020, 10:31:14 AM »
Being currently confined to my home due to COVID19 (I live in France), I had time to watch this video in its entirety. I'll sum it up for people who are not so constrained and have other things to do.

The main gist of the video is by someone reading a document written by some Australian who worked for the one of the American intelligence departments. There's about 10 minute describing his resume, it appears he has very high clearance to top-secret intelligence. Then comes the bombshell.

He was working on geographic positioning, and he was wondering why, instead of relying entirely on satellite data, the agency he was in also used ground-based data. This is supposedly more accurate. And his boss told him - wait for it - to mind his own business, that it was outside his domain! I mean wow! If that doesn't prove to you that the world is flat, then what will!

After that he goes on to say he was suffering from all sorts of psycho disorders, possibly induced by interrogation training (i.e. learning to resist torture). He suffers from blackouts, and relational disorders. Somewhat reminiscent of the character played by Robert de Niro in the Meet the Fockers movies.

The rest of the video is about how he was invited to a masonic lodge and met important people there. This allowed him to fast-track his getting a US green card and a job in an Arctic base. If there was any connection with the flatness or roundness of the earth, I failed to detect it.

Offline GreatATuin

• It's turtles all the way down
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2020, 05:20:18 PM »
I don't know about exact position, but yes I have seen a satellite cross the sky.

In case you're interested: https://www.heavens-above.com/ will give you a list of satellites you can see in the sky for any date and any given location, including the ISS. You'll know the exact time and position in the sky.

you guys just read what you want to read