Offline Chris

• View Profile
Is antarctic a continent unto itself or the actual ice wall?
« on: January 02, 2016, 07:56:25 AM »
I see two perspectives on the website about where Antarctica is.  If Antarctica is its own continent, why has no one ever reported the existence of an ice wall at the edge of the southern most latitudes?  Would not ships or submarines have found it by this time with all of our sophisticated means of travel? If antarctica is the ice rim of the world how do FE proponents explain the deep forays into the continent to the south polar weather stations which have up to 4000 inhabitants on the continent in the summer and 1000 in the winter.  These are all clearly arranged on a map and navigable to each other scattered all over the continent.  There are just too many people traveling between stations with a map showing that these stations are on a continent and not an ice ring around the world. This brings me back to the first point. Since Antarctica is clearly a continent all it's own, where is the ice ring at the edge of the southern ocean.  When ships travel due south, they end up at the recognizable continent of Antarctica with all of its weather stations and now thousands of inhabitants. 

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Is antarctic a continent unto itself or the actual ice wall?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 10:27:31 AM »
I am confused.  Nobody has ever reported seeing a wall of ice? 

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 06:21:48 PM »
People do see an ice wall when they go to Antarctica.

See our wiki page on the topic: http://wiki.tfes.org/The_Ice_Wall

Offline Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is round. Prove I'm wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 04:38:30 AM »

But how you know it's a ice wall? Why there's 24 hour daylight during the winter down there? Why countries like Australia get more daylight hours during the winter also?
Isaiah 40:22 "It is he that sitteth upon the CIRCLE of the earth"

Scripture, science, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion. Can dumb luck create a smart brain?

Please PM me to explain sunsets.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 08:05:28 AM »
I'm sorry, I should have started my argument in a better way.  Poorly worded.  I am suggesting that antarctica has to be an actual continent which can be circumnavigated, a giant island, so to speak.  It is of course obvious that there are glaciers at the edge of this continent, everyone who has gone there has seen it. I am suggesting that the ice wall that you say borders the edge of the world is well know to have weather stations scattered all over the continent, and one can travel from one to the other to reach the far side of where ever one travels from, using a compass.  This means that antarctica simply cannot represent the beginning of the edge of the world. All of the coastal stations are too close to one another to be scattered all around the edge of the world (assuming that this edge totally surrounds the world). If this were so, it would add thousands of miles between stations that actually are hundreds of miles apart. I wish that I could draw this picture so that my point could be made more clearly.

So, if antarctica is a land entirely surrounded by water as all of the other continents are, then the real edge of the world have to be somewhere else.  I am asking that if this somewhere else ice wall is surrounding the whole disc world, why has it not yet been found by ships, etc?  The antarctic ice shelf has little breaks here and there that allow people to dock ships etc, to gain access to the research stations.

Offline Hammer

• View Profile
You're Completely Right
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 08:16:56 PM »
Take the FE view of the world as a disk with the North Pole at the center. Have two travelers move due south in opposite directions - one moving down through the Americas, the other moving down through Asia and India. Both will be moving toward the "ice wall" of Antarctica. Have each one place a flag on the coast of Antarctica. Now, have them travel along the coast until they reach each other's flags. According to the FE view, they will have to travel much, much farther than those who accept the spherical earth would expect them to have to travel to reach each other's flags.

Of course, this proves that the FE view is nonsense.

Hammer

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 09:24:44 PM »

Take the FE view of the world as a disk with the North Pole at the center. Have two travelers move due south in opposite directions - one moving down through the Americas, the other moving down through Asia and India. Both will be moving toward the "ice wall" of Antarctica. Have each one place a flag on the coast of Antarctica. Now, have them travel along the coast until they reach each other's flags. According to the FE view, they will have to travel much, much farther than those who accept the spherical earth would expect them to have to travel to reach each other's flags.

Hammer

Sounds like a great experiment... Let us know when you've compiled the results and don't forget to include sources of errors.

geckothegeek

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 04:34:26 AM »

People who go to Antarctica do not see an ice wall in the way that Rowbotham described it.
Antarctica has been explored, charted and mapped. There are several ice shelfs but no continuous ice wall. And the total coast line distance of Antarctica is considerably less than that which would have been the distance if the ice wall was truly a ring that encircled the earth.

In the whole matter , the whole flat earth ideas are false since the simple truth of the matter is the earth is the globe shaped planet that it is and not some flat disc shaped something or other  that it is not. And even the best map that flat earthers have yet produced is simply a copy of the Azimuthal Equidistant Projection.....Of the globe.

It is just a matter of flat earth imagination and fantasy -vs- Round Earth facts and evidence.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 04:53:04 PM »
Research???   Is that the same as bleeding the tax-payer dry while sucking at the government trough?

I am asking that if this somewhere else ice wall is surrounding the whole disc world, why has it not yet been found by ships, etc? 
---- because there is no money to be made doing so. 

The antarctic ice shelf has little breaks here and there that allow people to dock ships etc, to gain access to the research stations.
In that case, ask those little people your questions ---- just make sure that you do not tell them you 1st asked flat earthers because they may not want to take you seriously. 

Scientists are a hilarious bunch.  They really think they are entitled to keep playing school-room suck-up while getting paid to play games. 
watch?v=xhcVJcINzn8

Offline Hammer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 08:49:26 PM »
It's already been done - not as an experiment for the purposes of disproving FE theory, but rather as part of the fundamental assumptions underlying navigation. The same principles are illustrated by airlines selecting flight paths for their airliners. If the FE view was legitimate, then routes in the southern hemisphere would be disproportionately longer and routes in the northern hemisphere disproportionately shorter. Of course, this is not what we see. We see the world acting as if it were a sphere because it is a sphere.

And you know this, as well. You guys are just Discordians.

Hammer

Sounds like a great experiment... Let us know when you've compiled the results and don't forget to include sources of errors.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:51:25 PM by Hammer »