Morgenstund

Re: Speed of The Sun
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 11:48:54 PM »
I don't think its possible to measure the speed of the sun. We know it circles the earth but even Dr Rowbotham didn't, to my knowledge, calculate its speed.

Dr Rowbotham has measured the distance already.

Contradictive.

Is Parallax a Poe?

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 05:33:43 AM »
I don't think its possible to measure the speed of the sun. We know it circles the earth but even Dr Rowbotham didn't, to my knowledge, calculate its speed.

Contradictive.

Is Parallax a Poe?

Sorry, I don't think I understand.
Dr Rowbotham was accurate in his experiments.
How do you know without repeating them?
Because they don't need to be repeated, they were correct.

Offline xenotolerance

• byeeeeeee
    • View Profile
    • flat Earth visualization
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 05:58:24 AM »
a Poe is someone who is faking a viewpoint and is indistinguishable from the real thing

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 06:33:23 AM »
a Poe is someone who is faking a viewpoint and is indistinguishable from the real thing

Thank you.

Contradictive.

Is Parallax a Poe?

Yes, I think it's very likely that Parallax is a poe.

JohnAdams1145

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 09:32:46 AM »
If you're asking the speed of the Sun as described by modern, real, science, then what you ask is a fairly easy task. In short, parallax measurements are taken to determine the distance of the Sun from the Earth. From this, the orbit of Earth can be plotted. Conservation of energy and momentum gives the speed at various points in the orbit. If you want a detailed description, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_speed

As for what it is in Flat Earth, well I'd assume it's just taking the radius of the Sun's circling and dividing by 24 hours.

Parallax is clueless about even elementary physics when he says "speed and distance are not the same thing." I think most anyone can understand that if we can measure a distance and know the angles at which we measured that distance, what we have is a coordinate system that uniquely represents every point in 3D space. If we know the position of a body at every point in time, then we can obviously differentiate that to get the velocity. Taking the magnitude of the velocity gives the speed. In layman's terms: I see the car at point A at t=0. I see the car at point B at t=0.001s. Therefore its speed is dist(A, B)/0.001s.

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 11:06:58 AM »
If you're asking the speed of the Sun as described by modern, real, science, then what you ask is a fairly easy task. In short, parallax measurements are taken to determine the distance of the Sun from the Earth. From this, the orbit of Earth can be plotted. Conservation of energy and momentum gives the speed at various points in the orbit. If you want a detailed description, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_speed

As for what it is in Flat Earth, well I'd assume it's just taking the radius of the Sun's circling and dividing by 24 hours.

Thank you for your contribution. I am well aware how things are, I'm asking the FE community whether the speed/the distance (preferably the speed) of the Sun has been measured directly (i. e. using a radar, a laser or something similar). In the FE model, it should be possible.

Offline Parallax

• Disciple of Dr Rowbotham
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 03:31:02 PM »

Parallax is clueless about even elementary physics when he says "speed and distance are not the same thing." I think most anyone can understand that if we can measure a distance and know the angles at which we measured that distance, what we have is a coordinate system that uniquely represents every point in 3D space. If we know the position of a body at every point in time, then we can obviously differentiate that to get the velocity. Taking the magnitude of the velocity gives the speed. In layman's terms: I see the car at point A at t=0. I see the car at point B at t=0.001s. Therefore its speed is dist(A, B)/0.001s.
Not clueless, just that if it was relevant Dr Rowbotham would have measured it, and to my knowledge he didn't, so it's not anything to care about.

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 04:45:08 PM »

Not clueless, just that if it was relevant Dr Rowbotham would have measured it, and to my knowledge he didn't, so it's not anything to care about.

As an argumentum ad verecundiam (appeal to authority) your argument is fallacious. Just because an authority didn't mention it doesn't mean it's irrelevant. For example, he (to my knowledge) didn't mention satellites which are extremely relevant to the FE hypothesis.
In fact, Mr. Rowbotham couldn't directly measure the speed/the distance of the Sun since no technology capable of doing so existed during his times.

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 05:35:30 PM »
Yet somehow he was able to calculate the true distance, despite lack of technology.

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 05:41:09 PM »
Yet somehow he was able to calculate the true distance, despite lack of technology.

Great! So, have his calculations been confirmed by direct measurement?

Morgenstund

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2018, 06:30:47 PM »
Is Parallax a Poe?

A 'Poe' is someone who pretends to be something he's not, writing parody with the intent to make the reader believe he's serious, and who is almost impossible to detect.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Poe

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2018, 06:45:36 PM »
Is Parallax a Poe?

A 'Poe' is someone who pretends to be something he's not, writing parody with the intent to make the reader believe he's serious, and who is almost impossible to detect.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Poe

Yeah, Parallax is almost certainly a poe.

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2018, 06:56:07 PM »

Of course, he did the measurements himself.

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2018, 07:03:49 PM »

I think you've missed my point. Have his calculations been confirmed by direct measurement (i. e. using a radar, a laser, ...)? Also confirmed means that someone else measured it and his readings were the same as Rowbotham's.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2018, 07:35:08 AM »

I think you've missed my point. Have his calculations been confirmed by direct measurement (i. e. using a radar, a laser, ...)? Also confirmed means that someone else measured it and his readings were the same as Rowbotham's.

Rowbotham performed the experiments many times over a 30 year period. His results were also vetted by a journal dedicated to that purpose called The Earth Not a Globe Review. Today we can also see water convexity experiments on Youtube, including different experiments with lasers. Check them out.

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 07:43:33 AM »

Rowbotham performed the experiments many times over a 30 year period. His results were also vetted by a journal dedicated to that purpose called The Earth Not a Globe Review. Today we can also see water convexity experiments on Youtube, including different experiments with lasers. Check them out.

Ok. So, have his results been confirmed by direct measurement (i. e. using a radar, a laser, ...) of the Sun's speed/distance?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 08:09:30 AM »
Ok. So, have his results been confirmed by direct measurement (i. e. using a radar, a laser, ...) of the Sun's speed/distance?

I have not seen that it is possible to reflect a laser or radar off of the sun.

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2018, 08:12:29 AM »

Water being convex shows the curve of the earth.

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2018, 08:15:11 AM »

So your answer to my question is no, isn't it?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2018, 08:31:55 AM »

So your answer to my question is no, isn't it?

Why are you asking me to tell you what I just told you?