Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
Speed of The Sun
« on: April 08, 2018, 12:52:34 PM »
A question for the FES members: has anyone directly (i. e. via radar, laser or so) measured the speed (or distance) of the Sun, the Moon or any other celestial body? If not, why?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:03:38 PM by Stagiri »
Dr Rowbotham was accurate in his experiments.
How do you know without repeating them?
Because they don't need to be repeated, they were correct.

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
Re: Speed of The Sun
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 06:48:42 PM »
No? Noone?

Offline Parallax

• Disciple of Dr Rowbotham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 07:59:32 PM »
The sun is less than 700 miles above the earth. The moon is nearer to the earth than the sun. In fact, the star's themselves, while higher up, are less than 1000 miles above the earth.

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 08:01:08 PM »
The sun is less than 700 miles above the earth. The moon is nearer to the earth than the sun. In fact, the star's themselves, while higher up, are less than 1000 miles above the earth.

Thank you for your contribution. However, you didn't answer any of my questions.

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 08:07:44 PM »
Dr Rowbotham has measured the distance already.

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 08:20:11 PM »

Well, I'm asking whether the speed of the Sun (/the Moon/any other planet) has been measured directly (i. e. using radar, laser technology, ...).

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 11:41:04 AM »
You realise that his experiment had the sun 400 miles south of London, somewhere directly over France, right?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 11:50:47 AM »
You realise that his experiment had the sun 400 miles south of London, somewhere directly over France, right?
Why do you think it's always so sunny there?

Could you measure the speed of the sun by radar by the way? No idea if that would work.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 12:45:44 PM »
Could you measure the speed of the sun by radar by the way? No idea if that would work.

I'm not 100% sure about measuring the speed but radars should at least be able to measure the distance to the Sun (if it was as close as the FES claims it to be).
For example, the AN/FPS-118, developed in the 1970's and 1980's, could detect cruise missile size targets at about 1800 nautical miles.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 11:51:43 PM »

I'm not 100% sure about measuring the speed but radars should at least be able to measure the distance to the Sun (if it was as close as the FES claims it to be).
For example, the AN/FPS-118, developed in the 1970's and 1980's, could detect cruise missile size targets at about 1800 nautical miles.

The fact that over-the-horizon radar technologies can bounce photons off of targets at that sort of distance more suggests that the earth is flat than the earth is a globe.

Under the Round Earth model the photons originate from the radar dish and bounce off of the surface of the earth and the ionosphere several times, hits the target, and then bounces again between the surface of the earth and the ionosphere several times back to the radar dish. All without being scattered out of existence. Ridiculous.

We spoke about this last year:

Round Earth Scientists have to make up mysterious atmospheric ducting and atmospheric reflection phenomena in attempt to explain the phenomenon of traveling further than the horizon should allow, no matter how absurd. Consider Over The Horizon Radar. The photon is transmitted from the receiver, bounces off of the atmosphere in the distance, hits an object further beyond the horizon, and then bounces back off the atmosphere and again hits the receiver to register an object in the distance. Ridiculous.

They even claim that the photons can bounce between the atmosphere and the ground several times, and then back again to the receiver, with no significant scattering!

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:58:00 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline xenotolerance

• byeeeeeee
    • View Profile
    • flat Earth visualization
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 01:20:04 AM »
Someone recently told me I shouldn't try to refute a theory without studying it.

Maybe take your own advice, read up on how radar works before dismissing it

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 07:15:35 AM »
Let's stay on topic, please.
There are radars which do not use the over-the-horizon technology and still have 1000-1500 km range.

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 08:12:40 AM »
Why do you think it's always so sunny there?

Apparently the sun does emit some radio waves. I suppose you could set up a narrow scope detector to trace its position as it arcs across the sky. However, this is only angular velocity, which can be done by eye. It's a lot of effort to tell us something we already know.

In terms of using similar technology to actually detect distance, I'm not entirely sure you'd get a reflection off the surface of the sun.

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 09:26:03 AM »
Yes, you would get a reflection.
We, in fact, can point a radar at the Sun (and as far as I know we've done it, see radar astronomy). However, there's a problem. Although the signal reflects, the Sun is quite far from the Earth so the strength of the signal is very low and indistinguishable from the background noise created by the Sun.
However, if the Sun was as close as the FES claims it to be the signal would be strong enough for us to capture, identify and make use of.

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 09:40:14 AM »
Under the Round Earth model the photons originate from the radar dish and bounce off of the surface of the earth and the ionosphere several times, hits the target, and then bounces again between the surface of the earth and the ionosphere several times back to the radar dish. All without being scattered out of existence. Ridiculous.

As ridiculous as claiming that light on Earth curves upwards? (i. e. the EAT)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:44:17 AM by Stagiri »

Morgenstund

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 11:54:32 AM »
Parallax is a true believer in 'Prof. Dr. Rev. Rowboatman, PhD', and if He says He has meassured the distance to the Sun the matter is settled for good, and it would be an act of heresy to even consider an attempt to verify His claims.

In the real World the Sun's orbital speed around the center of the galaxy is ~200 km/s. I can imagine the FE counter argument going something like this:
'If the sun moved at that speed the fire ball would be extinguished.'

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 02:04:25 PM »
I don't think its possible to measure the speed of the sun. We know it circles the earth but even Dr Rowbotham didn't, to my knowledge, calculate its speed.

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »
I don't think its possible to measure the speed of the sun. We know it circles the earth but even Dr Rowbotham didn't, to my knowledge, calculate its speed.

Contradictive.

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 02:16:59 PM »
No. Speed and distance are not the same thing.

Speed = how fast something moves
Distance = how far away something is

Offline Stagiri

• You can call me Peter
    • View Profile
    • Stagiri Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »
No. Speed and distance are not the same thing.

Speed = how fast something moves
Distance = how far away something is

I'm well aware of the difference.
Speed = distance/time. So, since we know the distance and the time, we know the speed.