totallackey

Suggested changes to the wiki
« on: January 15, 2018, 10:12:00 PM »
Forgive me if this is posted to the wrong forum.

1) Remove or modify the GIF depicting the amount of sunlight over the AEP. If opting to modify, it should reflect the sunlight as does timeanddate.com over the Mercator Projection. In other words, keep the AEP and simply change the areas being lit at various times throughout the journey of the Sun.
2) The wiki states the following:
"As a passenger on an aircraft, how is it I can see the curvature of the earth?
Quite simply you cannot. It is widely stated you would need to be at a height of at least 40,000 ft to get even a hint of curvature if earth were round. Commercial aircraft are not allowed to fly this high. "
The sentence, "Commercial aircraft are not allowed to fly this high." is in error and needs to be removed.
"Most commercial jetliners have a service (or certificated) ceiling of about 42,000 ft (13,000 m)[citation needed] and some business jets about 51,000 ft (16,000 m).[3] "- Wikipedia

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Suggested changes to the wiki
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 12:39:03 AM »
You've posted in the right forum, but I'm declining both suggestions. Here's why:

1) This is already what the GIF depicts. If I remember correctly, we picked a day in the Spring for this representation. The image accurately represents FET's assertions over the course of one day (the moon's motion would obviously have to be altered otherwise). As an aside, timeanddate.com is a hotly disputed source on both sides of the debate. If you believe you can produce a better image, feel free to present it and I'll be happy to put it down to a vote.

2) Commercial aeroplanes are often certified for higher cruising altitudes, but are generally not assigned higher altitudes by ATC. The statement in the FAQ is accurate.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:43:05 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 01:55:54 AM »
I can confirm that you never get assigned a flight level of more than FL41 (and the aircraft is always empty but for the pilots). That is extremely rare. Once in a lifetime for a commercial pilot. FL 35 to FL 38 is the most common.

It seems they know the height a disc doesn't look like a ball and keep you away from that.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline peden1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 03:02:32 AM »
Airplanes often fly at 40,000 feet and above... That might need to be changed in the explanations to be more accurate.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 05:00:07 PM »
Airplanes often fly at 40,000 feet and above... That might need to be changed in the explanations to be more accurate.

Please don't bump a 2 year old thread to add nothing useful.

Locked.