Max_Almond

Re: Viewing Carlsbad from La Jolla
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 07:57:30 AM »
To add to McToon's excellent summary:

* Bobby's experiment: Extensive and verifiable photographic evidence provided
* EnaG#12: No verifiable evidence provided

It's great work, Bobby - easily enough to demonstrate the mistaken notion of the flat earth idea.

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 09:26:32 AM »
You can take these pictures until you are blue in the face it does not change anything.  FE can counter these observations by saying

-optics
-atmosphere
-waves/swells
They could also counter by saying 'leprechauns' or 'magic pixie dust', or some other ad-hoc explanation. However, as Bobby has shown, the standard scientific model is measurable and quantifiable. That is to say, the model gives a numerical prediction for each possible observation, which corresponds fairly closely (not exactly, I agree) to the numerical observation. Science is quantitative and numerical, Zeteticism is not, at least not so far.

HorstFue

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 08:54:51 PM »
This has been discussed ad nauseum on this site.

And it has been answered again and again and again.

We agree that when you have a body of water, it bulges in the middle. It does this for the following reason. Pressure. But that does not mean the world is round. A curve on a localised surface does not mean you can extrapolate a circle.

Barometric pressure is measured in millibar, that's 0.001 bar.
You could also measure it with a column of water, a 10m high water column gives 1 bar. Or a water column of (1000cm*0.001) 1cm gives 1 millibar.
So to get a bulge with hight 10cm in the middle of the measured stretch by barometric pressure, the pressure difference between the middle of the observed stretch compared to the pressure at the coast/beach has to be 10 millibar.
The observed distances are something (beach to mid point) less than 10 nautical miles.
10 millibar over a distance of 10 nautical miles?
The general observation at moderate latitudes is: 5 millibar pressure difference over a distance of 100 (one hundred) nautical miles results in gale force winds.
Your "It does this for the following reason. Pressure"  just swirled away in a fierce tornado.

Offline Bobby Shafto

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdv72TaxoaafQr8WD
    • View Profile
    • Bobby Shafto YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 01:36:49 AM »
Looking back at La Jolla from Swami's Beach in Encinitas (12.9 miles)

La Jolla manifesting the "sinking ship effect." Photos taken from various heights above the beach at Swami's, from 75-ish feet to <5 feet.

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 07:52:45 AM »
Looking back at La Jolla from Swami's Beach in Encinitas (12.9 miles)

La Jolla manifesting the "sinking ship effect." Photos taken from various heights above the beach at Swami's, from 75-ish feet to <5 feet.

Would be helpful to note the heights each view was taken from. I am guessing the one at 0:20 is taken very low, yes?  If so, that replicates what I observed in Turkey.

Offline Bobby Shafto

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 04:04:44 PM »
I didn't note the interim heights because they would have just be gross estimates. I just stopped at the landings along the cliffside stairs and snapped the photos.

But yes, around 0:20 of the video was the lowest observation, taken with my tripod collapsed to 1' and on the flats of the wet low tide sand. The image sequence reverses course at that point, returning a little more quickly back to the top of the bluffs, listed at around 75'.

It wasn't a very good day for viewing. Haze was moderate, returning after being broken up by recent winds. There's a slight chance of a little bit of rain this week (last I checked) which often brings good surface visibility for a short while after.

I'm hoping for better conditions over the Thanksgiving weekend. My son will be back from school and can help me try the signal mirror technique from that beach (in Encinitas) while I set up camera with telescope in La Jolla. And maybe even from the beach in Carlsbad too.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 04:06:20 PM by Bobby Shafto »

Offline Bobby Shafto

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 11:30:56 PM »
Another visit to La Jolla to check on the NRG power station in Carlsbad, 20 miles away.

No detectable mirage.
Water temp. 63-64°F
Air temp. 64°F
Minimal haze after the rains.
Ebbing tide, approx. 4-5' at time of shooting
Westerly swell: 2-3' with 4-6' sets

Offline Spingo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2018, 09:41:28 AM »
This has been discussed ad nauseum on this site.

And it has been answered again and again and again.

We agree that when you have a body of water, it bulges in the middle. It does this for the following reason. Pressure. But that does not mean the world is round. A curve on a localised surface does not mean you can extrapolate a circle.

This is well known to everyone.

Where the evaporation occurs ... over the water ... you get lower pressure.

This is precisely why Rowbotham (who was a better scientist than you), isolated this error by using canals instead of huge bodies of open water that would be susceptible to localised pressure issues. And the Bedford Level Experiment has been repeatedly conducted and always shown the earth flat. Stop with all the lakes and sea examples. It is telling us nothing.

I'm not interested in your pictures of blurry buildings and ships with arrows and lines all over them. You aren't addressing the issue scientifically. You must remove errors like localised sea swell before you can say "oh look a curve, ergo an entire ball". How can you possibly extrapolate a circle from a small localised curve?

Yours is a classic case of making up facts to fit your argument.

Why?

You have no data on the weather conditions for that day to make any prediction of the height of any swell either real or imagined . You also conveniently make your imagined  bulge right in the middle of the area of sea. Your post is no more than made up wishful thinking. The originator of the thread, Bobby, supplied some pretty convincing photographs with other supporting data. All you supplied was wishful thinking with no data grossly distorted to support your view point.
I think you need to up your game and present some real evidence if you want your posts to carry any weight.