Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
Circumnavigation
« on: January 17, 2014, 06:43:56 PM »
How do you explain how I can get on an airplane and fly around the earth?  Anyone can do this and not fall off the edge.  Come at me with your excuses. 

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Re: Circumnavigation
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »
Circumnavigation is accomplished by moving in a circle around the earth.  This works the same on a flat earth as on a spherical one.  Not a confusing concept, really.

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 07:07:33 PM »
Then, how is it possible to circumnavigate in any direction?  It is only possible on a sphere.  Checkmate. 

Thork

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 07:18:34 PM »
How do you explain how I can get on an airplane and fly around the earth?
Please show me a flight that does that. Which airline?

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 07:21:43 PM »
Then, how is it possible to circumnavigate in any direction?  It is only possible on a sphere.  Checkmate. 

Is it?  Please, enlighten me as to the scores of people who have completed a circumpolar navigation? 

I'll save you the search. There was only one, the Transglobal Expedition, which departed the south pole and arrived at the south pole.  They merely crossed the surface of the disc.

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 07:23:44 PM »
Of course they don't do it on a regular basis, because it is cold over the Poles and is therefore dangerous to fly over.  It is possible, though, and people have done it. 

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 07:24:44 PM »
Of course they don't do it on a regular basis, because it is cold over the Poles and is therefore dangerous to fly over.  It is possible, though, and people have done it.

Again... who are these people?

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »
Scientists fly over the Poles everyday.  Do I really need to waste my time looking for details for you, or will you just concede that this is a fact? 

Thork

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 07:29:18 PM »
Scientists fly over the Poles everyday.  Do I really need to waste my time looking for details for you, or will you just concede that this is a fact? 
Look at our model of the flat earth. Flight over the North Pole is easy and many flights do this. However no airline flies over the South Pole. Which is easily explained when you consider the South Pole is the rim of the earth.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 07:33:46 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transglobe_Expedition
http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/aviation-international-news/2008-12-31/tag-global-claims-record-polar-circumnavigation
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Thork

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/aviation-international-news/2008-12-31/tag-global-claims-record-polar-circumnavigation
Why don't you go back to .org Markjo? They miss you.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 07:36:55 PM »

Why don't you go back to .org Markjo? They miss you.
Why don't you stay on topic, Thork?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Thork

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 07:51:38 PM »
Go away. >o<

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 07:55:36 PM »
If you went to the south pole, Thork, would you then agree that the earth is spherical?

Thork

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 08:29:45 PM »
That would not be conclusive evidence.

As you can see from the flat earth model below, a South Pole is not evidence of a round earth.

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 10:50:57 PM »

As you can see from the flat earth model below, a South Pole is not evidence of a round earth.

lol, that is the same map that you said was dreadful.  Only Tom and Lord Wilmore believe in that map.  You went on and on about how stupid the map is, yet, now you try to present it here, for what reason?

Thork

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 11:56:15 PM »
Correct, I hate that map, but I couldn't rule out a flat earth just by visiting the south pole. That's why FET is a comprehensive study of earth's shape.

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 08:41:29 AM »
The only map that makes perfect sense is a globe.  You can be in denial all that you want; however, I am telling you that a flat map is just a representation of a globe. 

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 09:00:50 PM »

And the shape of Australia is consistent with actual measurements?

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 12:19:42 AM »

And the shape of Australia is consistent with actual measurements?

No, of course not.  This map is heavily distorted and even those who subscribe to it (I'm not one of them) will admit as much.