Question 1
« on: December 01, 2017, 03:53:28 PM »
It is hard for me to believe the flat earth theory but I have an open mind and want to hear others' points of view on the matter to try and understand why people believe what they do.

Question 1:
If the earth is flat then when approaching let us say a mountain in a car you would see the whole mountain, peak to base. However, this is not the case. When you approach you see the peak first and the closer you get more and more of the mountain is revealed.

Example Test:

1) Set a cup upside down on a flat table. Kneel so your eyes are level with the tables surface. More than likely you see the entire cup. Peak to base.

Now unless your eye level drops below the table (which in this example would make the observer floating in space below the surface of the earth, or rising out of the earth) then you would see the peak first and as you raise your eyes back level with the table more and more of the "mountain" (cup) is revealed. However, we do not float in space below the earth's surface or rise out of the earth's surface in most of our daily lives while driving, walking, etc.

2) Get a basket ball or soccer ball (something spherical, larger than the cup). Hold the ball in one hand closer to your face and with the other hand place the open end of the cup on the ball's surface opposite of your face (ball would be between you and the cup). Holding both, rotate the ball and cup towards your face. Keep your eyes level with the surface of the ball. This process should show the peak first and more and more of the entire cup being revealed as you rotate the ball towards you.

If you are having difficultly following this example then please do not reply or ask for more details. I would like to hear constructive feed back to my question.

I truly would like to understand others' beliefs and why you believe what you do.