Rama Set

Re: Edges...
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 06:18:36 PM »
generally believed that light travels in a curved path that causes the phenomena of sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset

By who?

*By whom.

By flat earth believers.

*It is generally believed by flat Earth believers.

I am not sure that is true. Many flat Earth believers do not subscribe to Electromagnetic Acceleration including one or two (I cannot recall exactly at this moment) members of the Zetetic council.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 06:33:05 PM »
generally believed that light travels in a curved path that causes the phenomena of sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset

By who?

*By whom.

By flat earth believers.

*It is generally believed by flat Earth believers.

I am not sure that is true. Many flat Earth believers do not subscribe to Electromagnetic Acceleration including one or two (I cannot recall exactly at this moment) members of the Zetetic council.

Oh, I could be mistaken.  I was under the impression that generally all of us accepted some form of "bendy light," but I could be wrong about that.   Apologies if so.  Amend to "some of us believe."

Rama Set

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 07:48:32 PM »
As far as I know Tom Bishop does not subscribe to it.  He always explains sunrise/sunset as a flaw in Classical perspective and through Atmospheric Magnification

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 03:01:35 AM »
I guess... I will hold back my debate efforts until you guys get to an agreement? I don't mean to offend anyone by using wrong words.
Earth is spheric, regardless of your opinion...

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 03:12:08 AM »
It seems to me that bending light would directly contradict the results of water convexity experiments, such as the Bedford Levels experiment, that require light to travel in a straight line.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 07:13:21 PM »
I guess... I will hold back my debate efforts until you guys get to an agreement? I don't mean to offend anyone by using wrong words.

No one will take offense.  There are many interpretations of flat earth theory, and they don't all have to agree.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 03:17:18 PM »
For a map, look at the UN logo. It's a simple approximation.
The edge is either at the ice wall - known as Antarctica- beyond it, such as in The Book
 http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=17001.0#.UzLvorsRegE

Or perhaps it's infinite. Simple answer is that we don't know.

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 09:35:26 AM »
The edge is either at the ice wall - known as Antarctica- beyond it, such as in The Book

Surely, easy enough to find out with technology.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2014, 11:45:28 AM »
Sure. Assuming someone can fund an expedition deep into Antarctica (more distant than anyone has yet ventured) plus supplies. if I had a few grand lying around maybe I would.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 01:05:24 PM »
Or perhaps not, because how would you really know?  This is the fallacy of round earth thinking.  "Surely someone else has figured this out by now."  Round Earth thought is lazy intellectualism.

Offline pilot172

• Thunder down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 09:27:21 PM »
why don't the flat earthers launch a space capable vehicle I know you can launch it from the woomera test range in south Australia so theres nothing stopping you right
1 in 10 suicides apparently could be stopped if someone smiled or made the person happy for a minute so its my goal in life to make as many people as happy as possible...also QUEENSLANDER!!!!

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2014, 10:19:58 PM »
Or perhaps not, because how would you really know?  This is the fallacy of round earth thinking.  "Surely someone else has figured this out by now."  Round Earth thought is lazy intellectualism.
It is not 'round earth thinking'. It is the normal method of science and discovery.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2014, 05:13:01 AM »
The scientific method goes a little something like this; make something up, then see if you can prove it is true.  That is about it, is it not? 

Rama Set

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2014, 11:24:04 AM »
The scientific method goes a little something like this; make something up, then see if you can prove it is true.  That is about it, is it not? 

No.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2014, 01:42:04 PM »
The FE method goes a little something like this; make something up, then claim it's true without bothering to prove it.  That is about it, is it not?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline pilot172

• Thunder down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 11:42:02 AM »
seriously why haven't any flat earthers ever done any actual exploring to confirm what they predict. You all stand around saying nup round earth that's bull but then just produce theoretical models, well put your money where your mouth is actually fund a space capable rocket im pretty sure kickstarter could help y or maybe try to fly over thou there or fly a plan over the centre of Antarctica just do something rather than go here look at this model I drew cause that's being lazy
1 in 10 suicides apparently could be stopped if someone smiled or made the person happy for a minute so its my goal in life to make as many people as happy as possible...also QUEENSLANDER!!!!

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 05:29:33 PM »
I circumnavigated the plane and did extensive exploration of Australia. I resent your accusation and proclaim you a rogue and a scoundrel.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline pilot172

• Thunder down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 12:47:11 PM »
I circumnavigated the plane and did extensive exploration of Australia. I resent your accusation and proclaim you a rogue and a scoundrel.
best insult ever but have you got evidence of doing either of those things I haven't done either but can you show evidence you have

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2014, 12:53:05 AM »
seriously why haven't any flat earthers ever done any actual exploring to confirm what they predict. You all stand around saying nup round earth that's bull but then just produce theoretical models, well put your money where your mouth is actually fund a space capable rocket im pretty sure kickstarter could help y or maybe try to fly over thou there or fly a plan over the centre of Antarctica just do something rather than go here look at this model I drew cause that's being lazy

Kickstart a space program.  Why didn't I think of that?  How hard could it be to put a human in orbit?

There's a reason real planes don't fly over the center of Antarctica.  They also don't fly over the North Pole, and there's a reason for that too.  Are they just being lazy?  I don't think so.  Why, then, don't "you round earthers" do some of your own research, eh?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 01:06:06 AM »
best insult ever but have you got evidence of doing either of those things I haven't done either but can you show evidence you have
If you're into photographic evidence, Parsifal and I have taken hundreds of pictures all around Australia. A subset of those can be found here.

Here's me on our cruise to Tasmania. It was windy, which didn't do favours to my long hair.

I guess I could scan some pages from my passport to provide evidence of my UK - USA - Australia - Malaysia - Sri Lanka - UK trip, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with doing that.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:10:24 AM by pizaaplanet »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume