Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #760 on: October 06, 2014, 10:20:47 PM »
I really don't know how I feel about new episodes of Twin Peaks... I'm conflicted.
As far as I'm concerned: it's new shit from David Lynch — I am happy.

Same. I am excited!!

Ghost of V

« Reply #761 on: October 07, 2014, 12:12:39 AM »
I wonder if it will continue the cliffhanger of the original series, or maybe it will do a timeskip with all new characters?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #762 on: October 07, 2014, 12:37:22 AM »
Didn't you read the article you linked?

The new Twin Peaks will be set in the present day, more than two decades after the events in the first two seasons.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 07, 2014, 12:44:21 AM »
Enter the Void (Gaspar Noé)

All the camera tricks in the world can't save this ponderous bloated nothing of a film from its own putrescence. Aside from the actually quite good opening section, this is how the film goes: the camera swirls around a room for a bit, someone says something, the camera zooms into a light source or something else, there's a trippy light show, then we're in another scene in which the exact same thing happens. After a while the formula gets boring, and Noé realises this, so he throws a bunch of sex scenes in there as if to say "look, I know, and I'm sorry, here's something else" and then that goes on for way too long instead.

Occasionally, the picture goes to black, no sound or anything. Every time that happened I was thinking surely I have been sat here for 160 minutes already, there can't be more? and the numbness of my buttocks seemed to confirm this. No sooner has the thought occurred than the camera starts swirling about again, showing me more people I don't care about doing things that aren't interesting. Maybe if it had been better acted I could have tolerated the rest, but this is ostensibly a bunch of "street" characters played by people who have apparently never even been near a street. It's dreadful, the dialogue frequently lapses into "hey man, you got the stuff, yeah? Hardcore!"

It's a shame, the basic premise of seeing through the eyes of the dead as possibly imagined in Bardo Thodol is interesting enough, and the camera style, while it stops being impressive after about the second or third time it does its little swirl and zoom routine, and stops being interesting around the same time, would have been fine if the content lived up to the idea. Unfortunately it was impossible for me to care about 90% of what was presented to me on the screen, and the 10% I was interested in was swept away in the tidal wave of fancy camera tricks and CGI and neon lights and naked people. This is an exhausting film not because it is intense but because it cannot stop throwing stuff at you: here's some stuff, look at that stuff, do you want more stuff? here's some more stuff LOOK AT ALL THIS FUCKING STUFF!!! Apart from all that it's a really straightforward film that probably could have been told more effectively without the ghost camera swirly zoomy stuff-throwing sex-having nonsense that is this two and a half hours of my life I'll never get back.

Early on in the film, one character tells another that his drug dealer is a pervert who smears his own excrement on the back of his sex partners' heads. I would rather have seen a film about that guy than this.

Ghost of V

« Reply #764 on: October 07, 2014, 01:02:49 AM »
Didn't you read the article you linked?

The new Twin Peaks will be set in the present day, more than two decades after the events in the first two seasons.

Nope.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: October 07, 2014, 07:51:28 AM »
Enter the Void (Gaspar Noé)

All the camera tricks in the world can't save this ponderous bloated nothing of a film from its own putrescence. Aside from the actually quite good opening section, this is how the film goes: the camera swirls around a room for a bit, someone says something, the camera zooms into a light source or something else, there's a trippy light show, then we're in another scene in which the exact same thing happens. After a while the formula gets boring, and Noé realises this, so he throws a bunch of sex scenes in there as if to say "look, I know, and I'm sorry, here's something else" and then that goes on for way too long instead.

Occasionally, the picture goes to black, no sound or anything. Every time that happened I was thinking surely I have been sat here for 160 minutes already, there can't be more? and the numbness of my buttocks seemed to confirm this. No sooner has the thought occurred than the camera starts swirling about again, showing me more people I don't care about doing things that aren't interesting. Maybe if it had been better acted I could have tolerated the rest, but this is ostensibly a bunch of "street" characters played by people who have apparently never even been near a street. It's dreadful, the dialogue frequently lapses into "hey man, you got the stuff, yeah? Hardcore!"

It's a shame, the basic premise of seeing through the eyes of the dead as possibly imagined in Bardo Thodol is interesting enough, and the camera style, while it stops being impressive after about the second or third time it does its little swirl and zoom routine, and stops being interesting around the same time, would have been fine if the content lived up to the idea. Unfortunately it was impossible for me to care about 90% of what was presented to me on the screen, and the 10% I was interested in was swept away in the tidal wave of fancy camera tricks and CGI and neon lights and naked people. This is an exhausting film not because it is intense but because it cannot stop throwing stuff at you: here's some stuff, look at that stuff, do you want more stuff? here's some more stuff LOOK AT ALL THIS FUCKING STUFF!!! Apart from all that it's a really straightforward film that probably could have been told more effectively without the ghost camera swirly zoomy stuff-throwing sex-having nonsense that is this two and a half hours of my life I'll never get back.

Early on in the film, one character tells another that his drug dealer is a pervert who smears his own excrement on the back of his sex partners' heads. I would rather have seen a film about that guy than this.

I agree with everything here. Major dissapoint

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #766 on: October 07, 2014, 05:49:56 PM »
I've watched the first four episodes of True Detective.  I don't want to sound like I hate it, because I don't, but I have to say that I'm disappointed by how incredibly clichéd it is, especially with the two main characters.  I won't go into detail because spoilers, but come on, I've seen these guys before.  We all have, and I was hoping that a show that's been this acclaimed might have been in part because it showed a bit more originality with the plot and characters.  Clearly, that wasn't the case.

Anyway, I like it overall, the acting is fantastic, and I'm interested to see where the story is going, so I'm definitely going to watch the second half.  It just seems to me that in this day and age, we ought to be moving past some of these tired clichés.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: October 10, 2014, 04:56:58 PM »
I quite like the new Superman Man of Steel film.

Ugh.
It's the only Superman movie I've liked. But I don't really care for Superman.

I've watched the first four episodes of True Detective.  I don't want to sound like I hate it, because I don't, but I have to say that I'm disappointed by how incredibly clichéd it is, especially with the two main characters.  I won't go into detail because spoilers, but come on, I've seen these guys before.  We all have, and I was hoping that a show that's been this acclaimed might have been in part because it showed a bit more originality with the plot and characters.  Clearly, that wasn't the case.

Anyway, I like it overall, the acting is fantastic, and I'm interested to see where the story is going, so I'm definitely going to watch the second half.  It just seems to me that in this day and age, we ought to be moving past some of these tired clichés.
You're cliched and I hate you. Cohle and Hart forever. ♥

Honestly, I can see the cliches but I think there's originality there as well. Hart is made to be relate-able. He's the good ole boy we all know exists even if we don't know personally. That in itself is a tired character, but he's way more likable than they usually are. He's not stupid and he's a lot more honest and vulnerable than the classic good ole boys. And I can't think of any characters off the top of my head who are like Cohle. Certain broad aspects are cliched like the loner cop deal, but when looking closer at specifics I don't see any cliches. Plus I really enjoy the way they interact. Most of the time when there are two very different cops it's a comedy, but in True Detective sometimes they truly hate each other. Well, maybe not on Cohle's part but Hart definitely seems to hate Cohle at times. And yet, a deep deep bond develops there as they work on a long, emotionally draining, and repulsive case. It's a great relationship.

It's a modern Noir, so by definition it has a lot of classic elements. I think the writing is great, but really, it's the acting that makes it. Maybe Hart wouldn't have been as likable if it wasn't for Harrelson and maybe Cohle wouldn't have been as haunting if it wasn't for McConaughey. Maybe it was their chemistry that made it. The second season will decide that for me, I suppose.

« Reply #768 on: October 10, 2014, 07:24:08 PM »
I think it's a bit of a stretch to accuse the two main characters of being cliched. I didn't even care anyway, the show was put together very well.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: October 11, 2014, 11:40:48 PM »
Finally getting around to watching Parks and Rec and I love it. The boyfriend always wants to watch The Office so it's nice to have a better comedy to watch instead.

I posted Justin Theroux in the Post What You'd Hit thread but I think he's a downgrade from Louis CK. But hey, I love gingers and cops so Dave is just great. 

Ghost of V

« Reply #770 on: October 14, 2014, 04:53:21 PM »
I'm now on season 7 of Stargate SG-1. This is a really great series. It can be cheesy at times, but it's constantly fun to watch and they explore some interesting sci-fi concepts. I'm ready to see Anubis dead, and I feel like they really missed some great opportunities with ascended Daniel Jackson. But I'm guessing there was a real-world reason why Michael Shanks wasn't a regular in season 6, which probably limited his screen-time.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #771 on: October 14, 2014, 04:56:35 PM »
Enjoy the one remaining good season.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #772 on: October 14, 2014, 05:31:03 PM »
:(

Is Atlantis any good? SGU?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: October 15, 2014, 04:58:13 AM »
Atlantis is good. SGU is not.
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: October 15, 2014, 04:17:32 PM »
Since Halloween is soon - anyone want to recommend some good scary movies?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: October 15, 2014, 11:46:58 PM »
I'm now on season 7 of Stargate SG-1. This is a really great series. It can be cheesy at times, but it's constantly fun to watch and they explore some interesting sci-fi concepts. I'm ready to see Anubis dead, and I feel like they really missed some great opportunities with ascended Daniel Jackson. But I'm guessing there was a real-world reason why Michael Shanks wasn't a regular in season 6, which probably limited his screen-time.
1. Prepare to be disappointed.
2. Yeah.... about that.

Atlantis is good. SGU is not.
I loved SGU.  It's really all about what you like.  I enjoyed the people drama mixed with the "oh shit our ship sucks".  Think "The Walking Dead" but instead of zombies it's a ship that could stop working any moment.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: October 16, 2014, 07:55:47 AM »

I used to love SG1, but the others are right, you're cresting the peak now.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: October 16, 2014, 01:20:22 PM »
I think Atlantis is worth watching though.
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #778 on: October 18, 2014, 07:28:33 PM »
Fury

It does not romanticize war at all. It focused on how the horrors of total war transformed men. Norman (Lerman) joins the tank crew to introduce naive innocence and humanity into the veteran, almost heartless, crew. There are moments when you see glimpses of the men they used to be before WWII started, even "Coon-Ass" who seems like a mindless beast in the movie. Even during the quiet moments, something will happen to remind you that they're in Germany and surrounded by the enemy.

The soundtrack was awesome too. Very heavy and dark with lots of subtle German chanting.

It made me want to read All Quiet on the Western Front again. It was emotionally hard-hitting from start to finish.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 07:31:58 PM by rooster »

« Reply #779 on: October 18, 2014, 07:32:58 PM »
I started watching a few US programmes such as SGU and then it just stopped.

I used to love Journeyman but that only lasted 1 series, oh and Alcatraz.