Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #5900 on: July 11, 2020, 09:55:56 PM »
You are correct. I was thinking actual dealers, not private sales. Still can do that online in some places and just meet up in person, Craigslist used to allow that. Just a different flavor of the gun show loophole.

Although I've still never heard of anyone having a firearm shipped direct from an online sale.

« Reply #5901 on: July 12, 2020, 03:49:22 AM »
Forgive me if this was discussed already in this thread (I'm not reading 296 pages), and I've been away from these forums for a few weeks - but here's my question:

Does Trump have a chance this November?  What does everyone think? 

A few of my own thoughts:

1. Biden is clearly not as disliked as Hillary was. 
2. But Biden is also not all that inspiring, as Hillary - to a point - was for many. Biden is just so "blah."
3. Trump has super low ratings now.
4. But things could change in the next few months - no one thought he would win in July of 2016. Like, really no one.

And a followup, but related question - What is going to hurt Trump more - the COVID-19 situation, or the BLM/police brutality/riots situation? 

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: July 12, 2020, 07:13:01 AM »
Of course Trump has a chance. Democrats will actually have to vote to get him out, and that can be a tall order. Right now it seems like things are working against Trump but it's still a long way till November and a lot can happen.

I think there's a strong chance COVID-19 will actually help Trump. If we really do have a lot of mail-in votes there will be all kinds of room for the Republicans to play their dirty tricks and suppress the ones they don't want. And given the fact that Democrats seem to generally treat the crisis seriously while Republicans generally seem not to can lead to a scary but I think plausible scenario where enough more Republicans turn up to vote in person than Democrats that it could be enough tip the scales in Trump's favor, even if his polling is as dismal then as it is now.

Democrats have to vote, and they need to work to minimize the effects of voter suppression. Otherwise Trump will have an easier road to reelection than you'd think.

Counting Trump out was what led to his appointment in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 01:21:03 PM by Roundy »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: July 12, 2020, 02:13:33 PM »
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/12/trump-border-wall-make-me-look-bad-357706

Quote from: Donald Trump, every day of his presidency
Me me me me me me...
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: July 12, 2020, 03:29:44 PM »
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/12/trump-border-wall-make-me-look-bad-357706

Me me me me me me...

His supporters built it so by saying that he's basically slapping then in the face.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: July 12, 2020, 04:57:02 PM »

Me me me me me me...

His supporters built it so by saying that he's basically slapping then in the face.

He doesn't care.

42 million dollars and already showing signs of structural wear... it's almost like building a massive wall at our border was just an impractical solution for the immigrant issue.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: July 12, 2020, 05:03:11 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1282288813075771392?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

How do you categorize someone who publicly turned his entire lawn into a Trump campaign banner part of the "silent majority"? ???

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: July 12, 2020, 06:22:21 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1282288813075771392?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

How do you categorize someone who publicly turned his entire lawn into a Trump campaign banner part of the "silent majority"? ???

Because its unlikely most people will see it?  I mean, its a sign painted on a lawn.  Not exactly easy to see from eye level.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #5908 on: July 13, 2020, 03:38:06 PM »
Ugg, the neverending "wall" issue.

I'm personally radically pro-immigration (if we could accept over 1% population increase basically every year via Ellis Island in the 1910's and 1920's, there's literally no reason we cannot do so now, yet I think there is something like fewer than a third of 1% legally admitted each year, now).

But set that completely aside since illegal immigration is different in some key ways. For the sake of argument, let's say everyone agrees that illegal immigration is something we want to limit or obstruct.

The wall is a poor idea to achieve that. It wastes lots of money and has very little effect. 

Among the reasons the wall is simply not effective:

1. The majority of immigrants who are "illegal" come legally and overstay.  If you are going to spend large sums of money to combat illegal immigration, a physical barrier is simply not an important part of the puzzle.

2. There are plenty of ways to bypass a wall for those who do physically enter illegally. All you are doing, by imposing a barrier, is diverting the routes and means that will be taken to enter. People will take boats, arriving in our even longer shorelines. Or they will tunnel under, as they already do in places. Or they will go to Canada and come in, as they also do already. 

3. The wall is far too long and would require far too many guards to prevent actual incursion. I've read folks talk about how the walls in Israel are quite effective in keeping out terrorists from Gaza. Very true, but that wall is several orders of magnitude shorter. They can spend a LOT more money and manpower per foot of wall and get a far more effective barrier for a much cheaper price in absolute terms. Because it's not very long. They have a tiny border.  An actually complete wall between all of the US and Mexico would be easily breached in the places we can't permanently man.

In short, I can't believe the amount of money spent on the wall can possibly reduce the amount of entry to make it cost effective.  It's a bad plan.

If you oppose illegal immigration, you should oppose the wall.
If you don't oppose illegal immigration, you should oppose the wall.

And yet, it's a thing.  ::)

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: July 13, 2020, 04:24:22 PM »
lol

GOP voter registrations outpace Dems in swing states: report

In Maine, for example, 59 percent of new voters registered as Dems pre-coronavirus — but only 40 percent have done so in the months since.

Dem declines were also seen in Colorado, Florida, North Carolina and Pennsylvania, TargetSmart found.

Additionally, in the swing state of Iowa, the new voters helped the GOP retake the statewide lead in voter registrations last month, Politico reported.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 04:26:21 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5910 on: July 13, 2020, 05:50:15 PM »
lol

In Maine, for example, 59 percent of new voters registered as Dems pre-coronavirus — but only 40 percent have done so in the months since.

Dem declines were also seen in Colorado, Florida, North Carolina and Pennsylvania, TargetSmart found.

Additionally, in the swing state of Iowa, the new voters helped the GOP retake the statewide lead in voter registrations last month, Politico reported.

Yep, I saw this too.

Democrats and anyone else who doesn't want 4 more years of this, you better register to vote if you haven't already. and encourage as many people as possible to do the same! We can't count Trump out until he's OUT!

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: July 13, 2020, 05:58:35 PM »
lol

Yep, I saw this too.

Democrats and anyone else who doesn't want 4 more years of this, you better register to vote if you haven't already. and encourage as many people as possible to do the same! We can't count Trump out until he's OUT!

This doesn't really say much.
The pool.of voters is finite.  New voters even more so.  All this tells me is that most people voting as democrats (and not independants like me) have already signed up.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: July 13, 2020, 06:06:03 PM »
lol

Yep, I saw this too.

The pool.of voters is finite.  New voters even more so.  All this tells me is that most people voting as democrats (and not independants like me) have already signed up.

WE CAN'T COUNT TRUMP OUT OR HE WILL WIN AGAIN!!!

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: July 13, 2020, 06:32:28 PM »
lol

Yep, I saw this too.

WE CAN'T COUNT TRUMP OUT OR HE WILL WIN AGAIN!!!

I'm not.
But I'm not gonna look at new voter registrations and go 'OMG!  Republicans are super gonna win!' either. 

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: July 13, 2020, 08:44:08 PM »
lol

Why does that get a LOL?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: July 16, 2020, 09:37:28 AM »
In a YouGov poll yesterday, 87% of the respondents think that the USA is generally "Off on the wrong track" or are not sure

Only 13% think that things are "under control"

Only 39% say they will vote for Trump in November

etc

etc

docs.cdn.yougov.com

EDIT for further news - Quinnipac poll determines that only 31% of voters consider President Trump as "honest".  31%.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 03:53:31 PM by Tumeni »

Nearly?

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: July 17, 2020, 04:01:04 AM »
This happened a couple of days ago, but the political career of Jeff Sessions has come to a humiliating end with his loss in the race for his old Senate seat. I have no sympathy for a racist asshole like Sessions, but of course we know that this loss had nothing to do with that and everything to do with Trump's all-powerful endorsement of his opponent. For a political novice like Tommy Tuberville to beat someone as famous and established as Sessions by such a large margin is incredible, and demonstrates the sway Trump has over Republicans in certain parts of the country. Trump has absolutely nothing in common with the average resident of Alabama and no doubt thinks of them as a bunch of stupid hicks, yet they're devoted to him. It's such an unhealthy cult-like attitude. No politician should hold such a stranglehold over their party.

There's also this article from the NYT preceding Sessions's loss, but going into detail about why Trump hates him so much. (Check out Sessions calling Henry Louis Gates Jr. "some criminal.") Trump has made no secret of the fact that he's angry at Sessions for upholding the law rather than using his office to shield him from political threats. For another president, that would be a damning confession, but it fails to resonate with the what's-good-for-Trump-is-good-for-me crowd. It's like they think that they somehow vicariously benefit whenever Trump gets to personally benefit. I don't think I'll ever understand that mindset. Trump making money does not mean that you make money. Trump getting laid does not mean that you get laid. Trump enjoying power does not mean that you enjoy power. These are Trump's benefits, not yours, no matter how much you cheer for him.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 04:45:40 AM by honk »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: July 17, 2020, 04:33:16 AM »
Ah but Honk, Trump needs your praise so he will do things that make you happy, even if they will hurt you in the end.  So if you hate immigrants: bam, trump makes immigration as illegal as he can.  Hate China?  Bam, tradewar.

What is right is not always popular.  What is popular, is what Trump will do.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: July 17, 2020, 09:41:23 AM »
Do any of the Trump supporters around here actually watch Fox News?

Nearly?

Rama Set

« Reply #5919 on: July 17, 2020, 05:28:26 PM »
Quickly, what was Hillary Clinton's main platform for presidency? It was "I'm a woman!"

That’s not remotely true. Your comment is as valid as saying Trump’s platform in 2016 was MAGA.