Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
Re: Detailed flight times and distances
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2018, 10:58:27 PM »
If you want to know the distance between 2 points on the 2D map you have to zoom in some. The way you are doing it is incorrect.
I tried to look this method up and could find nothing.  Would you be able to provide a link or possibly demonstrate?

When zooming in on Alaska so that all of Alaska is visible on Google Maps the scale is about 50 miles per centimeter.

If you drag that view down to say Texas the legend changes to about 100 miles per centimeter.

Do I really need to take screenshots of this?

BillO

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2018, 11:35:25 PM »
No, that's fine.  Thx.

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2018, 07:18:34 AM »
If you want to know the distance between 2 points on the 2D map you have to zoom in some. The way you are doing it is incorrect.
I tried to look this method up and could find nothing.  Would you be able to provide a link or possibly demonstrate?

When zooming in on Alaska so that all of Alaska is visible on Google Maps the scale is about 50 miles per centimeter.

If you drag that view down to say Texas the legend changes to about 100 miles per centimeter.

Do I really need to take screenshots of this?
No. My claim was (i) that when you zoom out so that Texas and Alaska are visible on the flat surface, the scale of Alaska is different to that of Texas and (ii) this is not an accident. It is geometrically impossible to correlate the Google distances in km with the flat screen distances measured in pixels or cm or whatever. This is a fact of geometry discovered by Gauss.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theorema_Egregium.
A consequence of the Theorema Egregium is that the Earth cannot be displayed on a map without distortion. The Mercator projection, shown here, preserves angles but fails to preserve area.

Offline Westprog

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2018, 03:18:38 PM »
It's worth noting that it's not always the flat Earthers using the invalid arguments. I've seen, both here and in other places, flawed arguments used against the flat Earth and in favour of the globe. It's not that common, but it does happen. It's important to point out the flaws. No point in relying on the FE people to do it. If they had the ability to spot flawed reasoning...

Oh, I agree, one of the better posters here on the RE side was 3d.  He had some amazing threads but his idea of using ping times to various servers to measure distances was very flawed.   That does not invalidate his other arguments but some here tried to make it that way.  I have been called out by RE'ers on a few flawed logic issues.   This place is an amazing thought experiment and forces you to rethink many things you take for granted.  It's also very amusing to see Tom come up with new ways to invalidate facts.

Yes, it's obviously not a debate forum in any real sense - but that doesn't mean it's necessarily valueless. It's possible to find logical errors here that don't exist elsewhere in the wild. They should get a grant.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2018, 04:02:51 PM »
Yes, it's obviously not a debate forum in any real sense - but that doesn't mean it's necessarily valueless. It's possible to find logical errors here that don't exist elsewhere in the wild. They should get a grant.

I see you are back and that all of your posts are still just complaining about FE. You are on 8 warnings and 3 temporary bans already. It is obvious this place is not for you, as you cannot seem to follow the very simple rules we have in place. Probably best we part ways now. Have a nice life!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 04:04:59 PM by junker »

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2018, 04:13:10 PM »

No. My claim was (i) that when you zoom out so that Texas and Alaska are visible on the flat surface, the scale of Alaska is different to that of Texas and (ii) this is not an accident. It is geometrically impossible to correlate the Google distances in km with the flat screen distances measured in pixels or cm or whatever. This is a fact of geometry discovered by Gauss.

A consequence of the Theorema Egregium is that the Earth cannot be displayed on a map without distortion. The Mercator projection, shown here, preserves angles but fails to preserve area.

Different portions of the map have different legends. Unfortunately google maps only displays one legend at a time so if you zoom all the way out you are only seeing one legend when, in reality, there are multiple as I have previously explained.

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2018, 05:32:16 PM »

Different portions of the map have different legends. Unfortunately google maps only displays one legend at a time so if you zoom all the way out you are only seeing one legend when, in reality, there are multiple as I have previously explained.
So you DO understand that google maps is showing you a flat projection of a curved surface? And you agree that if google maps are accurate, that means the Earth must be curved?