Saddam Hussein

Joining the PC master race
« on: January 22, 2015, 08:09:23 PM »
I am finally preparing to build my own PC.  In this thread, I will chronicle the steps I take to complete my journey and join the glorious gaming elite.  Right now, I have ordered most of the parts I need, save for a keyboard and monitor, which I am still deliberating over.  One of my issues is money - I can afford the parts I'm buying, but I have to deal with the time-consuming idiosyncracies of my bank and my credit card company, as they never leave me quite sure of whether or not I have my money in the right accounts.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:26:45 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Rama Set

Re: Joining the PC master race
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 08:22:27 PM »
inb4 everyone dumps on Saddam.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 08:23:15 PM »
inb4 the computer doesn't work because sadaam has done something wrong
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 08:24:31 PM »

I was considering it, but decided against it after all the bashing in the Saddam thread.

Rama Set

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 08:25:11 PM »

I was considering it, but decided against it after all the bashing in the Saddam thread.

And then I went to the Saddam bashing thread and saw that I was already too late.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 08:28:25 PM »
This thread is proceeding as anticipated.  If anyone is interested, I'm following the "Great" build detailed here:

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 09:02:50 PM »
I was going to have a whinge that you're not using pcpartpicker or similar websites, but that's actually kinda cool.

Thork

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 09:32:38 PM »
Yeah, that's a good start for a noob. Its hard to work out whether a better processor is worth the cash when you have no idea if your memory or graphics card is gonna ruin the performance and money would be better spent there instead.

Which one have you picked?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 08:19:56 AM »
This thread is proceeding as anticipated.  If anyone is interested, I'm following the "Great" build detailed here:

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Pleb. My system is three years old, and is still an approximate match for the "Enthusiast" build.

Also, this is a good idea. I'm looking forward to building another computer whenever my current hardware stops being good enough, which probably won't be for another few years. The next best thing is reading the experiences of others.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 08:23:26 AM »
Don't forget to connect the CPU power cable to the motherboard, Saddam.
The Mastery.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 04:20:06 PM »
I am finally preparing to build my own PC.  In this thread, I will chronicle the steps I take to complete my journey and join the glorious gaming elite.  Right now, I have ordered most of the parts I need, save for a keyboard and monitor, which I am still deliberating over.  One of my issues is money - I can afford the parts I'm buying, but I have to deal with the time-consuming idiosyncracies of my bank and my credit card company, as they never leave me quite sure of whether or not I have my money in the right accounts.
You should keep better track of your money. You should know how much is where, before the companies tell you what you have.
God is real.

Thork

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 04:26:37 PM »
lol, I forgot about that. I should remember it more often when Parsifal is telling me I don't know anything about computers.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 04:38:04 PM »
lol, I forgot about that. I should remember it more often when Parsifal is telling me I don't know anything about computers.

Is there something wrong with that statement?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 01:47:49 AM »
Saddam had a hard time telling me what his operating system was; I legitimately think that him building his own computer out of separate parts may be a Very Bad Idea. I would have much rather seen him use Digital Storm or IBuyPower as they charge very minor assembly fees.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 01:51:42 AM »
I think it's a good idea. It's hard to fuck up as long as you know how to use Google. You know how to use Google, right Saddamu-san? If he does fuck up we'll get more funny IRC logs, and he will have learned something.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 01:56:18 AM »
I think it's a good idea. It's hard to fuck up as long as you know how to use Google. You know how to use Google, right Saddamu-san? If he does fuck up we'll get more funny IRC logs, and he will have learned something.

The hardware is indeed hard to fuck up, but the software can be fidgety. e.g. the last hardware upgrade I did involved me updating the motherboard's BIOS due to it not recognizing the video card. I don't doubt that Saddam would eventually figure things out, I simply fear that his first PC master race experience might be hours and hours of annoyed troubleshooting with a hobby he doesn't even express interest in.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 02:02:51 AM »
He does express interest in it. We're posting in a thread which is all about his interest in it.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 02:35:12 AM »
He does express interest in it. We're posting in a thread which is all about his interest in it.

His interest in playing games he currently can't, yes, not necessarily his interest in building the computer.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 02:38:25 AM »
Saddam had a hard time telling me what his operating system was; I legitimately think that him building his own computer out of separate parts may be a Very Bad Idea. I would have much rather seen him use Digital Storm or IBuyPower as they charge very minor assembly fees.

At a brief glance, their prices seem to be pretty ridiculous.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 02:45:20 AM »
At a brief glance, their prices seem to be pretty ridiculous.

That's before you do their customization, as they try to throw lots of ridiculous unnecessary stuff on there (no, you don't need a SUPER MAX XTREME MEGA GAMING BROBOARD). After removing the garbage and totaling the part cost, IBuyPower adds about ~$50 on top of the parts, which is pretty good all things considered. I've never done the math on DigitalStorm, to be honest, but I assumed their prices would be similar.