Offline Westprog

• View Profile
Re: Why is the Earth not round
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2018, 11:23:09 PM »
To give an intuitive explanation of why planets and their moons might end up facing each other - imagine a pair of dance partners, holding each other tight. The tighter the hold, as they spin around each other, the more likely they are to keep facing each other. If the weaker partner can't hold very tightly, the stronger partner has the freedom to swivel around, while his partner has to keep facing him, in his steely grip.

That's right, the Earth is sexist.

Offline Skeptic

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2018, 01:36:13 AM »
Haha! Awesome. Thanks for sharing. :)

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2018, 07:29:28 PM »
So from my observations the original question was completely avoided and instead people choose to focus on whether or not the earth orbits the sun
Wisdom is not acquired save as the Result of Investigation
-Sara Teasdal

Offline Ratboy

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2018, 03:13:28 AM »
So from my observations the original question was completely avoided and instead people choose to focus on whether or not the earth orbits the sun

Well, the way I saw it is that the argument is that if the Earth is Round, then when the moon is being lit from a sun we cannot see, it should look like the sun is below the horizon.  If the sun is simultaneously not visible and yet higher than the moon at that time, it proves the Earth is not Round, and the whacky laws of bending light and what not prevail.  If the sun goes below the horizon and comes up on the other side the next morning, this proves the earth is round.  The evidence was given by FE and the rebutal followed. 

Offline xenotolerance

• byeeeeeee
    • View Profile
    • flat Earth visualization
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2018, 06:39:06 PM »
itt: Tom argued that real predictions for moon phases didn't match what was observed, and he was unceremoniously debunked. That's my read on it anyway.

The moon is coming into full tonight and tomorrow, so maybe let's get some pictures of moonrise with people's rough locations and see how it adds up.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2018, 07:18:22 PM »
The moon is coming into full tonight and tomorrow, so maybe let's get some pictures of moonrise with people's rough locations and see how it adds up.

Would be happy to, but too cloudy and snowy in the UK just now....
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?