Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: deGrasse Tyson cashing in on FET again.
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 06:33:00 PM »
However, his career as an astrophysicist does not justify this act of profiteering.
I don’t get what your problem is.
Not do I see why he has to justify this.
He’s a scientist and author.
He doesn’t have to justify to anyone what he writes about.
If people want to buy his book then they can’t but no one is forcing them to.
I don’t get what you think he’s actually done wrong.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 06:33:57 PM »
I'm not sure that is how peer review works.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 06:39:34 PM »

Whoa. You're sure you want to bring the idea of peer review onto these forums?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 06:44:42 PM »
He’s not publishing scientific papers, he’s writing popular science books.
They don’t need to be peer reviewed.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 07:04:12 PM »

He's writing a book about accepted scientific ideas... No need for peer review, even bringing peer review up in this context is bordering on churlish.

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 07:19:51 PM »
That might be the topic of the book, but that book is not the extent of deGrasse Tyson's work. His name wasn't built through FE debate, it was built through being a highly-regarded astrophysicist.
I do not contest that. However, his career as an astrophysicist does not justify this act of profiteering. I do agree that he could be much worse, but that doesn't make his recent actions good. In this case, I'm condemning an action, not an individual's entire career.

Compare that to Rowbotham, who spent his life selling tickets to debates (which he would run from if he didn't have an answer) to spread his name.
That's a particularly selective and disingenuous description of Rowbotham, but the man was far from a saint.

The fact that DeGrasse feels the need to even write this chapter can only be in response to the inexplicable publicity the FES has been getting recently, fuelled by some celebrities.
Thank you for the compliment, however roundabout it may be.

He's already written a load of books, the round earth thing is but one chapter in his most recent book.
Not solely on this debate, no. There are plenty more suckers buying into pop scientists.

OK, I'll cave on this one. Degrasse is profiteering off of debunking FE.

The world still isn't flat.

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 06:11:29 AM »
It does seem, however, that there are more high-profile for-profit RE'ers than FE'ers, which is strange, given how RE is already the "obvious" and widely accepted model.

I find it confusing that you find this strange.

Why wouldn't it be easier to make money from a model that is accepted by more people?
Of course, it would also be easier to make money from a model that is true, but even outside of any arguments of truth, wouldn't it just make sense that the more popular theory would be easier to "sell"?

Offline Beorn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 06:32:54 AM »
It does seem, however, that there are more high-profile for-profit RE'ers than FE'ers, which is strange, given how RE is already the "obvious" and widely accepted model.

Why wouldn't it be easier to make money from a model that is accepted by more people?
Of course, it would also be easier to make money from a model that is true, but even outside of any arguments of truth, wouldn't it just make sense that the more popular theory would be easier to "sell"?

If it's so obvious the world is round, why would there be money in proving it?
Am I in the right place?

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 06:46:31 AM »

Where is anyone making money proving the earth is round? I've yet to see anyone post anything to show there is a sizable number of people making money out of debunking FE.

A simple google search however will bring up plenty of FE snake peddlers (eg try typing 'Flat Earth Books' in).

This thread is rediculous, what in the A does it have to do with the actual shape of the earth?

Offline Beorn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 06:50:50 AM »

Where is anyone making money proving the earth is round? I've yet to see anyone post anything to show there is a sizable number of people making money out of debunking FE.

A simple google search however will bring up plenty of FE snake peddlers (eg try typing 'Flat Earth Books' in).

This thread is rediculous, what in the A does it have to do with the actual shape of the earth?

It shows a concerted effort to convince people the earth is round. No one goes around convincing you that grass is green or the sky is blue, so why so much effort in convincing you the earth is round?
Am I in the right place?

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 07:43:18 AM »

It shows a concerted effort to convince people the earth is round. No one goes around convincing you that grass is green or the sky is blue, so why so much effort in convincing you the earth is round?

That's because there aren't any twits claiming the sky is orange... If there was a movement claiming the sky was orange then we'd be forced to defend the fact that the sky is blue.

Come on, that's pretty bloody reasonable.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 08:12:07 AM »
That's because there aren't any twits claiming the sky is orange...
The sky is often orange.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 08:15:48 AM »
That's because there aren't any twits claiming the sky is orange...
The sky is often orange.

Yes, well done, get your silly little wins where you can.

This thread is a stupid distraction.

Why wouldn't a scientist put a little time and effort into pushing back against claims that his profession is a sham?

The only slightly interesting aspect to the thread is the ratio of FE to RE profiteers, but even then FE'ers are happy to assert that there are a 'size able number of high-profile RE'ers making money out of FE' but refuse to provide any names with the laughable excuse that they do not wish to promote them!

Come on guys, this is weak.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 08:40:35 AM »
And do you regard that as a bad thing?
Yes. (Sorry, I missed that message earlier)

I don’t get what your problem is.
Not do I see why he has to justify this.
He’s a scientist and author.
Oh, he has every right to do so if he so desires. But it is an opportunistic cash-grab, and those of us who don't like opportunistic cash-grabs may disapprove. And he has every right not to give a damn.

A distraction from what? You do realise that this is a discussion forum, right? There's no explicit objective, and no final boss that you desperately want to get to. Everything is optional and voluntary. If you do not wish to discuss the subject, no one's forcing you1.

but refuse to provide any names with the laughable excuse that they do not wish to promote them!
Look, I'm not a fan of how SEO works, either. More to the point, what's your laughable excuse for not simply Googling them?

1 - Unless you're an FE'er. In that case, expect people constantly asking why you're not interested in some discussions, and acting as if they were entitled to your attention.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:47:00 AM by Pete Svarrior »

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 08:45:38 AM »
A distraction from what? You do realise that this is a discussion forum, right? There's no explicit objective, and no final boss that you desperately want to get to. Everything is optional and voluntary. If you do not wish to discuss the subject, no one's forcing you1.

but refuse to provide any names with the laughable excuse that they do not wish to promote them!
Look, I'm not a fan of how SEO works, either. More to the point, what's your laughable excuse for not simply Googling them?

1 - Unless you're an FE'er. In that case, expect people constantly asking why you're not interested in some discussions, and acting as if they were entitled to your attention.

Erm, you do realize you made the claim there was a high number of high profile RE profiteers and offered up the fact that you would not back up the claim yourself?

Please don't try to make it look like I'm badgering you for info out of nowhere.

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 08:47:51 AM »
And do you regard that as a bad thing?
Yes. (Sorry, I missed that message earlier)

And I am happy to discuss, that's what I'm doing, just my angle on this particular discussion is that it's a distraction from the actual shape of the earth.

Is that ok with you?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2018, 09:04:47 AM »
Erm, you do realize you made the claim there was a high number of high profile RE profiteers and offered up the fact that you would not back up the claim yourself?
Yes. We're too high-profile a site for me to give them the PageRank. I'm sorry if that upsets you.

Please don't try to make it look like I'm badgering you for info out of nowhere.
It was a much more general comment. Don't take things so personally, even if you do fit the description.

And I am happy to discuss, that's what I'm doing, just my angle on this particular discussion is that it's a distraction from the actual shape of the earth.

Is that ok with you?
Quite literally, no. Posting about how you don't like a certain subject is off-topic posting, which is not seen to kindly in the upper fora. Refer to the forum rules. If you find a topic uninteresting or distracting, simply don't engage with it. There's no reason to write an exposé about it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:07:58 AM by Pete Svarrior »

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 09:18:59 AM »
Yes. We're too high-profile a site for me to give them the PageRank. I'm sorry if that upsets you.

It was a much more general comment. Don't take things so personally, even if you do fit the description.

Is that ok with you?
Quite literally, no. Posting about how you don't like a certain subject is off-topic posting, which is not seen to kindly in the upper fora. Refer to the forum rules. If you find a topic uninteresting or distracting, simply don't engage with it. There's no reason to write an exposé about it.

What 'upsets me' is you making claims and using ridiculously flimsy excuses as to why you won't provide any evidence of your claims.

Why make the claim in the first place?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 09:22:53 AM »
What 'upsets me' is you making claims and using ridiculously flimsy excuses as to why you won't provide any evidence of your claims.

Why make the claim in the first place?
It's a claim that's easily verifiable without me providing an indexable advert on this forum. And if you think my reasoning is a "flimsy excuse" - well, I can't help you with that one. My personal ethics and sense of what is right are not going to budge to appease your entitlement.

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 09:43:07 AM »
You know what, forget it, you really aren't worth it.