Offline Sputnik

• View Profile
The Earth (and all celestial bodies) are spherical
« on: February 05, 2016, 04:23:37 PM »
I've heard of the flat Earth ideas. Before coming here, I tried as hard as I could to argue from the flat side. However, I have concluded that I am not up to the task. I believe this is because the idea is complete folly.

However, I would like to hear from the experts. I intend to give you fine folks a fair chance (please forgive my presumptuous wording) to present your case. I assert I will be respectful and honest and as challenging as I can be. I ask the same in return.

Now, then, let us begin!

The Earth is clearly round. It has been demonstrated with the principles of Geometry (which have themselves been demonstrated countless times). Lunar eclipses are the oldest proof.  The geometry of a lunar eclipse has been known since ancient Greece. When a full Moon occurs in the plane of Earth's orbit, the Moon slowly moves through Earth's shadow. Every time that shadow is seen, its edge is round. Once again, the only solid that always projects a round shadow is a sphere.

The horizon proves that the Earth is not an infinite plane. Further, approaching objects from beyond the horizon are clearly moving across a rounded object because the tops are seen before the bottoms (of the moving objects - as in sails are seen first, decks follow). So, flat Earth minus infinite plane equals an edge. For all the years we've been here, said edge has never been documented.

Your move.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Earth (and all celestial bodies) are spherical
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 04:30:43 PM »
The horizon proves that the Earth is not an infinite plane. Further, approaching objects from beyond the horizon are clearly moving across a rounded object because the tops are seen before the bottoms (of the moving objects - as in sails are seen first, decks follow). So, flat Earth minus infinite plane equals an edge. For all the years we've been here, said edge has never been documented.

Your move.

I appreciate your own perceived self-importance. Please be aware that we don't need to convince you of anything, as it is apparent your mind is made up (given the name you chose to give to this thread). But, your quote above is just nonsense. I will have to assume that since you bothered making the claim, you haven't read the FAQ or the wiki, or even searched the forum. This is one of the most asked questions. A few second search would have given you an answer. But, since I am hospitable, you can restore the "sunken hull" of a ship using a telescope. What you believe you are seeing is simply an effect of perspective.

Offline Sputnik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 04:39:52 PM »

Your move.

I appreciate your own perceived self-importance. Please be aware that we don't need to convince you of anything, as it is apparent your mind is made up (given the name you chose to give to this thread). But, your quote above is just nonsense. I will have to assume that since you bothered making the claim, you haven't read the FAQ or the wiki, or even searched the forum. This is one of the most asked questions. A few second search would have given you an answer. But, since I am hospitable, you can restore the "sunken hull" of a ship using a telescope. What you believe you are seeing is simply an effect of perspective.

I appreciate your response, sir. I'm aware of the self importance I'm projecting. Please forgive that. I've never been the smoothest operator in socializing. As much as I ask your pardon, I ask your respect as well. I'll leave the passive aggressiveness behind if you will. Further, I'm aware of FAQ's on forums. I've read your arguments all over the web. I do not need a refresher. My hope is to discuss this with a person. If you are not interested in that, no big deal. But that means there is no need to reply at all.

If you dont mind, how is my perception creating a curvature? Further, I like the structure of your Antarctica argument so I will employ it here. Has anyone actually flown over the edge?

Offline Sputnik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 04:46:07 PM »

[/quote]

using a telescope. What you believe you are seeing is simply an effect of perspective.
[/quote]

I posit that using a telescope to see that a celestial body is flat is itself an effect of perspective. Looking at anything straight on will give the appearance of flatness. Do this with, say, a basketball sitting on your lap. Rotate it, even. Your eyes will only see a disc even though the ball is definitely spherical.

Offline Panzerfaust

• So You Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 05:42:37 PM »

So looking at a basketball and looking at a celestial body is the same thing?

Offline Sputnik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 05:45:13 PM »
Geometrically speaking, yes.

Offline Panzerfaust

• So You Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 06:18:20 PM »

So taking your argumentum ad absurdum; Earth = Basketball? Not sure we're getting anywhere..

Offline Sputnik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 07:31:12 PM »

So taking your argumentum ad absurdum; Earth = Basketball? Not sure we're getting anywhere..

Do you really, honestly not see the parallels between objects of the same shape? 

Offline Panzerfaust

• So You Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 07:34:19 PM »

Do you really, honestly not see the parallels between objects of the same shape?

I see the parallels. I also see the differences.

Offline Sputnik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 07:43:11 PM »

Other than size, what are the differences between two spheres?

Offline Panzerfaust

• So You Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 07:48:14 PM »

That's a leading question. There's a difference between observing a basketball on your lap, and observing the Moon.

Offline Sputnik

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 07:55:03 PM »

That's a leading question. There's a difference between observing a basketball on your lap, and observing the Moon.

I'll take that - please, enlighten me. What are the differences?