Play a Hypothetical With Me.
« on: October 16, 2015, 03:42:03 PM »
This could sound absolutely absurd, but bear with me.
I'm not making an argument for one side or another here, this is just a question. 

I was on a popular news site which had an article about global climate change and polar ice melt.

A thought occurred and I had to get in here to see what your take would be.
Suppose.....that there really is an ice wall surrounding the outside edge of the earth. Suppose Antarctica is not a single continent as the globular model would have you believe, but spread over the edge of a disc-shaped earth.

What happens if global climate change kicks into high gear, or at the very least continues at its current rate and all that ice melts? Observable science is seeing massive chunks of ice being broken off and melting at an alarming rate.
What happens when part of the ice wall becomes thin enough to be breached by the weight of entire oceans behind it?

Alternative question for those of you who might be quick to dismiss global climate change as a hoax:

Hypothesize what would happen if the wall were not there to begin with, or what would happen if we artificially removed a chunk of it.

I realize that I'm going to be either ignored as a looney toon, or called horrible names and insulted by someone with bunchy underpants, but aren't hypothticals an important piece to science?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Play a Hypothetical With Me.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 03:56:10 PM »
This sounds more like an FEG thread than a FEQ&A one. But:

The answer will vary enormously depending on the exact Flat Earth model taken into consideration. In an infinite Earth model, you'd just see the water levels even out between the known Earth and whatever contiguous body of water may lie beneath it.

Most finite models would probably feature water starting to spill out of the Earth, being picked up by UA, and freezing in space, thus quickly building a new wall.

Any fractal or recursive model would have results equivalent to those in the Round Earth model, i.e. (to keep things brief) water levels rising throughout the oceans.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »
Thanks! - But in the finite model, wouldn't that indicate an ever-expanding disc? As the water melts off of and gets pulled out by the UA and refrozen, wouldn't there be some sort of measurable expansion? What about replication? Couldn't rising temperatures have an effect on the 'new' layer of ice? If so, how long before that disc consists of extremely wide, very shallow oceans?
Rising water levels (ultimately over time) would almost have to negate the possibility of an finite model?
For the finite model to work, you'd have to see water levels rise as ice melts, then fall again to levels below their original state when the water from a breached portion of the wall gets pulled out and refrozen.

I'm spitballing.  :)

Also, can you point me in the direction of someplace where I can learn more about the various models of 'flat' that we could be dealing with? I didn't realize there was a discrepancy.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:13:32 PM by Disgraced_Shield »

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 08:38:45 PM »
What happens if global climate change kicks into high gear, or at the very least continues at its current rate and all that ice melts?
That is a ridiculous hypothetical. 
There is no "current rate" of anything.  All of the propaganda you hear on the news is bullshit. 

Anyway, let us assume your fear-mongering is true. 

Observable science is seeing massive chunks of ice being broken off and melting at an alarming rate.
No, "observable science" is not seeing massive chunks of ice blah blah blah.  What is "observable science" anyways?  You are employing a rhetorical mind-trick to hypnotize your reader.  Stop it. 
The earth is huge!  Those "massive chunks" we see are tiny snap-shots within the freezing-thawing-melting cycles of the perimeter. 

What happens when part of the ice wall becomes thin enough to be breached by the weight of entire oceans behind it?
Nothig happens.  It is so cold over there that the fluid matter is frozen. 

Alternative question for those of you who might be quick to dismiss global climate change as a hoax:
Who are you trying to kid? 

Hypothesize what would happen if the wall were not there to begin with, or what would happen if we artificially removed a chunk of it.
If the wall were not there to begin with we would be flattened and frozen.  No life would exist. 

I realize that I'm going to be either ignored as a looney toon, or called horrible names and insulted by someone with bunchy underpants, but aren't hypothticals an important piece to science?
What is in it for you? 
You are the 1 posting in a flat earth society discussion forum.  How odd is that?  Do you dare to tell everybody you know that you discussion stuff in this forum? 
watch?v=xhcVJcINzn8

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 03:14:06 PM »

I realize that I'm going to be either ignored as a looney toon, or called horrible names and insulted by someone with bunchy underpants, but aren't hypotheticals an important piece to science?

Boy, if I could call my shots like that when I play pool, I could make a TON of money.

Look friend- I said at the outset that I wasn't making a point for one side or another, I was merely trying to get a feel for some theories. In my previous posting, which (I put in the wrong forum,) one of your compadres gave me a wonderfully sound, logical, interesting answer which prompted me to want to know more.

Then you show up with almost nothing to add, except heaping accusations and negativity on me. This community you belong to really should be annoyed by the presentation you make towards people who ask questions and want information. Your over-the top defensiveness really makes you guys look gooney as a whole, and you're literally doing more to combat the FE theory than any round-earther who comes in here.

Kudos.

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 08:13:51 PM »
What happens if global climate change kicks into high gear, or at the very least continues at its current rate and all that ice melts?
That is a ridiculous hypothetical. 
There is no "current rate" of anything.  All of the propaganda you hear on the news is bullshit. 

Anyway, let us assume your fear-mongering is true. 

Observable science is seeing massive chunks of ice being broken off and melting at an alarming rate.
No, "observable science" is not seeing massive chunks of ice blah blah blah.  What is "observable science" anyways?  You are employing a rhetorical mind-trick to hypnotize your reader.  Stop it. 
The earth is huge!  Those "massive chunks" we see are tiny snap-shots within the freezing-thawing-melting cycles of the perimeter. 

Nothig happens.  It is so cold over there that the fluid matter is frozen. 

Who are you trying to kid? 

If the wall were not there to begin with we would be flattened and frozen.  No life would exist. 

What is in it for you? 
You are the 1 posting in a flat earth society discussion forum.  How odd is that?  Do you dare to tell everybody you know that you discussion stuff in this forum?

What an amazing amount of nothing lol

Do you even know how to contribute to a discussion? Try evidence and reason. Denialism does nothing except make you look like an idiot.

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »
Do you even know how to contribute to a discussion? Try evidence and reason. Denialism does nothing except make you look like an idiot.
Try telling all of your friends, foes and family:  "I spend Xhours a day debating with flat earthers on the internet!" Then, come back and we can talk about who looks like an idiot. 

Sheesh.  You are discussing the flat earth with flat earthers.  Other than your handler, who else in your circle knows what you do???
watch?v=xhcVJcINzn8

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 11:06:55 PM »

Was your post meant as an example of how to contribute? 'Cause, you know: pot, kettle, black, all that kind of stuff.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 08:05:32 PM »
Try telling all of your friends, foes and family:  "I spend Xhours a day debating with flat earthers on the internet!" Then, come back and we can talk about who looks like an idiot. 

Sheesh.  You are discussing the flat earth with flat earthers.  Other than your handler, who else in your circle knows what you do???

Now completely off-topic. Can you get back to the topic?

Everyone who knows me knows about my research into willful ignorance. The Flat Earth was an easier target for the research due to it not having the same religious roots and that there are so few people who hold onto the fallacy.

Now that your questions have been answered, can we get back to actually discussing the topic on hand with evidence-based responses or are you simply going to continue to conform to the norm for a flat-earther?

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 08:07:40 PM »

Was your post meant as an example of how to contribute? 'Cause, you know: pot, kettle, black, all that kind of stuff.

lol - no. It was exactly what it was: calling someone out for not contributing. Since there has been no evidence-based responses yet, there is nothing to contribute.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 03:05:25 PM »
but aren't hypothticals an important piece to science?
No.  I can not see how your "hypothetical" is of any benefit to mankind other than to monger unnecessary fear. 
watch?v=xhcVJcINzn8

Tellthetruth

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 07:26:23 PM »
Don't want to quote anyone here as this is going nowhere. I am a new guy here, who, a month ago knew the earth was a globe. Saw it (The globe) there in my first school classroom.
There is discussion here about "Science".
That seems to be a hang up for some.
Science should be observations with results that can be duplicated in a Laboratory.
Conclusions made, and more research undertaken.
Modern science these days is a joke. Theory on theory on another theory. Sorry, all that is, is scientific theory.
Not provable. Having been able to dig no more than 8 miles down, how can we know whats down there at the center of the earth?
I clearly do not have the answers to all my questions. Most here are far more along the road to truth than I am.
I remember reading a post about "The conspiracy is too big to be real"
All I can say is Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
I am here to learn and advance myself.
I have found that the smartest people are often the least wise.
My journey for truth shall remain undaunted.
Being thought a fool is not a problem for me.
Whoever created me knows better.
Peace and best wishes to all.
Hope I am still welcome. In spite of a lack of scientific proof of what I believe.
Although, all I believe is truth sets you free.