Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Another futile attempt at satisfying moon hoaxers
« on: June 24, 2019, 06:52:44 PM »
In an attempt to debunk the moon hoax conspiracy theorists on the eve of the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11, the Science Channel is airing a new investigative series that features a retired astronaut and a former FBI agent are working with an Apollo 11 conspiracy theorist to test various conspiracy claims.  So far they've looked at things like the radiation of the Van Allen belts, the controlability of the lunar module training vehicle, ability to see the lunar landing sites and more.  As each claim is tested and debunked, the resident conspiracy theorist reluctantly concedes that the "official" explanation might be plausible, but doggedly refuses admit that the lunar landings actually happened saying that there are still plenty of claims in need of testing.

Some of the confession cam monologues sound a bit hokey, but there's lots of good investigation going on I wonder if any of the true die hard moon hoaxers will be convinced or if they'll just claim that the show is itself a hoax and their resident conspiracy theorists is just a shill.

Full episodes are available here: https://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/truth-behind-the-moon-landing/
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Another futile attempt at satisfying moon hoaxers
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 07:43:02 PM »
How would disproving some, likely selected, claims that someone found on the internet, or coming up with a "plausable" explanation  for something, do anything to prove that NASA went to the moon? A show about coming up with some explanations for a few internet claims?

If I can explain something, it's proven? Is that how things work?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 08:59:17 PM by Tom Bishop »

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 08:41:42 PM »
You can not change a mind who has created its own fact.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 10:36:07 PM »
How would disproving some, likely selected, claims that someone found on the internet, or coming up with a "plausable" explanation  for something, do anything to prove that NASA went to the moon? A show about coming up with some explanations for a few internet claims?
How about watching some of the episodes first to see which claims are being researched and then deciding if any of the explanations satisfy your doubts?

If I can question something, it's disproven?  Is that how things work?

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 12:53:17 PM »
If your questioning brings a contradiction to light, yes. But you knew that already :)
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Rama Set

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 01:02:29 PM »
If your questioning brings a contradiction to light, yes. But you knew that already :)

I like this, now can you please the same line of reasoning to Tom's shitty post too?

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 01:23:10 PM »
That is unless the apparent contradiction can be resolved.  But you knew that already ;)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 01:42:45 PM »
I like this, now can you please the same line of reasoning to Tom's shitty post too?
Of course - go right ahead.

That is unless the apparent contradiction can be resolved.  But you knew that already ;)
You're trying too hard. But tryhard shitposting is still shitposting. Don't do it in the upper.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 01:53:28 PM »

Let's start with the admission that no-one can prove we went to the moon in the same sense that no-one can prove the earth is round.
While we're here, you can't really prove anything outside of maths theorems. Any evidence presented for anything else can be dismissed as fake or lies or whatever.
So we have to assess the reliability of evidence and use balance of probabilities to decide what to believe about everything else.

But a lot of the moon hoax "evidence" presented online is of the form "we never went to the moon, you can tell it's fake because ..."
If you can show that the "..." is wrong then no, it doesn't prove we went to the moan but it does show that particular objection is spurious. It maybe helps make an informed decision about what to believe as it changes the perceived quality of evidence and the balance of probabilities.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"