Ghost of V

Re: Just Watched
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2014, 07:10:17 AM »

Surprisingly entertaining.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »
As you've all no doubt heard, Captain America: The Winter Soldier was great!  My one big issue with it was (I'll try to keep this fairly vague to avoid spoilers) the rehashing of HYDRA as antagonists.  The movie was of course trying to be politically relevant, and that's great, but I think the message would have resonated a lot more strongly if the villains hadn't been dressed up as black-flag-waving, mustache-twirling supervillains.  For example, they could have been portrayed as, you know, fallible human beings.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:34:43 AM by Saddam Hussein »

« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2014, 09:44:22 PM »
I liked that Robert Redford actually took a role in one of these superhero movies, and did quite well. Also nice to see the Russo brothers (Community and Arrested Development) capable of handling such a big project.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 23, 2014, 10:53:09 PM »
The first one was so awful I didn't bother seeing Winter Soldier. I'm surprised that I've been hearing nothing but good reviews, but I'm still too traumatized from the first one.

Rama Set

« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2014, 11:22:26 PM »
The first one was not as bad that. Winter Soldier is in Dark Knight league for me.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2014, 12:39:49 AM »
The first one was not as bad that. Winter Soldier is in Dark Knight league for me.
Hey now, you can't tell me how horrible I thought it was. I was either falling asleep or laughing at how awful it was. I was actually shocked at how terrible Hugo Weaving was as Red Skull. It was the worst movie I'd seen in awhile.

Ghost of V

« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2014, 12:46:50 AM »
Hey now, you can't tell me how horrible I thought it was. I was either falling asleep or laughing at how awful it was. I was actually shocked at how terrible Hugo Weaving was as Red Skull. It was the worst movie I'd seen in awhile.

I have also seen the first Captain America movie. I also thought it was terrible. It is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Rama Set

« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2014, 01:13:54 AM »

I have also seen the first Captain America movie. I also thought it was terrible. It is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Both of you need to see more movies.  There are a vast quantitu of kife films out there that make Captain America look like "Au Bou du Souffle".

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2014, 02:10:22 AM »
I dunno, I think "one of the worst movies" is...yikes. You must not have seen many movies at all. :P

I thought the first Captain America was alright, though. It's supposed to be really cheesy and I don't think a lot of people realized that; it stuck to the tone of the original comics very closely. I know a lot of people who were upset that it was "too silly" and "not serious" and crap, because apparently everything needs to be dark and gritty now and we can't just have cheesy fun...à la the 1960s Batman show, or even the Tim Burton Batman films. Or, really, the comics.

But yeah, I thought Winter Soldier was a much, much better film, and the Marvel fangirl in me was very satisfied with it, the nods to other Marvel comics and all the little easter eggs sprinkled throughout. The moment when the Winter Soldier punched Cap's shield sent shivers down my spine. Also, I loved what they did with Zola in the supercomputer, because his actual robotic display form would have been really, really stupid to see in live-action...
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2014, 02:48:17 AM »
I thought the first Captain America was alright, though. It's supposed to be really cheesy and I don't think a lot of people realized that; it stuck to the tone of the original comics very closely. I know a lot of people who were upset that it was "too silly" and "not serious" and crap, because apparently everything needs to be dark and gritty now and we can't just have cheesy fun...à la the 1960s Batman show, or even the Tim Burton Batman films. Or, really, the comics.

And:

broody mcbroodwalking

It's also worth pointing out that they don't stick to that pulpy, forties-inspired style for the sequel - which makes sense, seeing how it's not set in the forties anymore.  So if the goofy tone was what you naysayers disliked about the first one, rest assured that you won't see it here.

Anyway, this is the greatest Captain America film of them all:

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2014, 02:48:48 AM »
I dunno, I think "one of the worst movies" is...yikes. You must not have seen many movies at all. :P
Technically, I said "one of the worst movies I had seen in awhile." So I hope you're just talking to Ghost.

But it was still bad. I just don't care much for comic book movies in general, hell I didn't even like The Avengers that much so. :/

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2014, 03:24:18 AM »
Technically, I said "one of the worst movies I had seen in awhile." So I hope you're just talking to Ghost.

But it was still bad. I just don't care much for comic book movies in general, hell I didn't even like The Avengers that much so. :/

But Loki

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2014, 03:57:33 AM »

Yeah, that was towards Ghost.

And ahh, well there's your problem. :P

It's also worth pointing out that they don't stick to that pulpy, forties-inspired style for the sequel - which makes sense, seeing how it's not set in the forties anymore.  So if the goofy tone was what you naysayers disliked about the first one, rest assured that you won't see it here.

This is trufax.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2014, 10:59:27 AM »
Rooster accidentally saw Captain America and thought it was The First Avenger.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2014, 11:57:04 AM »
Fuck. I forgot to go see it. I had planned on going to the last screening to avoid a crowded theatre, and now they don't show it in my town any more. :(
The Mastery.

Rama Set

« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2014, 12:46:35 PM »

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzkti8_s3e15-bsg-a-day-in-the-life_lifestyle

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2014, 12:57:40 PM »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2014, 02:36:30 PM »
Rooster accidentally saw Captain America and thought it was The First Avenger.
No. And it was shit. I bet the Captain America you're linking to was better.

Ghost of V

« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2014, 04:30:56 PM »
I still think the movie's shit too.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2014, 07:24:54 PM »
Or maybe you just have shit taste.
The Mastery.