Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #340 on: May 21, 2014, 08:21:37 PM »
Plus, there was no moral to the story at all. You figure he would be punished to some extent for his insane crimes, but no...

Stories should not have to have any 'moral'. They should be allowed to just be stories as well.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #341 on: May 21, 2014, 08:58:32 PM »
Plus, there was no moral to the story at all. You figure he would be punished to some extent for his insane crimes, but no...

Stories should not have to have any 'moral'. They should be allowed to just be stories as well.

I agree. I just tacked that on there to make it seem worse than it is.

« Reply #342 on: May 21, 2014, 09:02:42 PM »
Plus, there was no moral to the story at all. You figure he would be punished to some extent for his insane crimes, but no... he spends 12 months in what basically amounts to a summer camp, then gets out scott free.

The film is relying on your morality, not its own. You should be shocked to learn that bankers got off largely scot free for fucking up the planet for a good many years. You should come out of the cinema and say "lol but that didn't really happen did it lol" Then get angry when you find out it did. (In fact I'm not sure any bankers/traders/agents had been to jail before the film was made).

NB I haven't seen this film because I don't like stories about dragons.

Ghost of V

« Reply #343 on: May 21, 2014, 09:22:22 PM »
Plus, there was no moral to the story at all. You figure he would be punished to some extent for his insane crimes, but no... he spends 12 months in what basically amounts to a summer camp, then gets out scott free.

The film is relying on your morality, not its own. You should be shocked to learn that bankers got off largely scot free for fucking up the planet for a good many years. You should come out of the cinema and say "lol but that didn't really happen did it lol" Then get angry when you find out it did. (In fact I'm not sure any bankers/traders/agents had been to jail before the film was made).

NB I haven't seen this film because I don't like stories about dragons.

That's exactly how it makes you feel. I guess it accomplishes its goal well.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 21, 2014, 10:50:42 PM »
And if you're learning for the first time that people on Wall Street get off easy then I can see how it's shocking. It certainly makes me angry but I felt the movie was exaggerated enough to just make it funny imo. Plus, if you need justice, just remember that they are some of the most unhappy, fucked up people in the world.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 21, 2014, 11:10:44 PM »
It's a dark comedy because there are people who spent $30 on the blu-Ray to see how the general public gets fucked over and then get upset about it.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 21, 2014, 11:16:06 PM »
If people are paying full price to buy a movie they've never seen before then they've got the money to blow and are probably not the ones who get upset about salesmen mentalities.

Ghost of V

« Reply #347 on: May 21, 2014, 11:34:46 PM »
It's a dark comedy because there are people who spent $30 on the blu-Ray to see how the general public gets fucked over and then get upset about it.

I spent exactly $0 watching this movie.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 22, 2014, 05:40:23 AM »

I spent exactly $0 watching this movie.

I know, don't worry.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #349 on: May 25, 2014, 01:04:30 AM »
The Ant-Man movie will be the best of them all.

It's directed by Edgar Wright. His entire filmography (aside from one young college project) is Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and The World's End. It can't be bad.

Alas, this is no longer true:

http://time.com/112453/edgar-wright-marvel-ant-man/

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 25, 2014, 05:33:03 AM »
...wat

Well, there goes any inclination of me being vaguely excited about that movie. I can't wait for another mediocre Paul Rudd comedy

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 25, 2014, 05:35:55 PM »
Down By Law (Jim Jarmusch)
Great.

Dead Man (Jim Jarmusch)
Really good.

Lolita (Stanley Kubrick)
Good bits, bad bits, a bit too hokey over all. Vaguely positive.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #352 on: May 25, 2014, 06:16:14 PM »
...wat

Well, there goes any inclination of me being vaguely excited about that movie. I can't wait for another mediocre Paul Rudd comedy

But it's not a comedy.

WILL THIS BE MARVEL'S FIRST FLOP?

Ghost of V

« Reply #353 on: May 25, 2014, 09:10:05 PM »
Last night I had a prophetic dream. Paul Rudd was cast to play the 13th Doctor. Then this happens...

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 25, 2014, 09:34:46 PM »
Just watched X-Men: Days of Future Past. Fucking wonderful. I had so much doubt about this movie (thanks in part to what I thought was terrible casting for Pietro/Quicksilver), but it blew all that out of the water. The movie was powerfully-directed, had some incredible acting, magnificent pacing and just handled itself extremely well. Evan Peters was the perfect Quicksilver and now I actually have doubts that Whedon's Quicksilver will be able to be a better one even though before seeing this I thought it was going to be the other way around. All his scenes were apparently shot at 3600 frames per second or something, and it gives some of the best scenes of the film. Seeing how Quicksilver sees the world is brilliant and exciting and just reminds me why I was so enchanted with him and his powers as a child; he was my favourite character for a long time (and remains one of my top few). He was also just really entertaining in general, most of his scenes were pretty funny.

James McAvoy as a young Xavier who gave up his powers because he couldn't handle experiencing other peoples' suffering was excellent and probably the most moving part of the film. This is also the closest we've gotten to classic Wolverine since the first few movies, and the fact that they managed to bring back so many old faces added a lot to the film. I wish we got to see more of Ellen Page as Shadowcat; she plays a very important role in the film, but it leaves her very little room to act or anything. And apparently Anna Paquin's Rogue was going to play a more promininent role but got cut down to a cameo in post-production which sucks a lot.

Overall, it handled the "Days of Future Past" timeline from the comics staggeringly well, far more so than I thought a film would be able to. How ruthless it was with its characters and willingness to ignore star power or favouritism to show the terribleness of the world they were in made added a lot, I think, particularly in how it didn't hesitate to brutally show the death of even the biggest characters. It was kind of stunning and, in a morbid way, refreshing. It wasn't scared to pull any punches.

I was disappointed that, while they had Quicksilver, they didn't have his sister, Scarlet Witch. Well, there was a moment where he was holding his younger sister (though they're supposed to be twins, so I don't know if it was her), which...I genuinely hope wasn't Wanda (Scarlet Witch), because in the Ultimate Marvel comics they also fall in love and everything, which makes watching him hold young her in his lap a really weird kind of awkward. It's admittedly one of the more interesting comic storylines, but I don't want those kind of thoughts in my head while he's got his little sister in his lap, creepy incestuous pedophila is not something I'm ready for in Marvel stories

Anyway...moving on from that...yeah, I liked the movie a lot. Minor spoilers about the end: It was really nostalgic and sort of dream-like to see all the old, original X-Men finally reunited again. Scott, Jean, all the original incarnations of characters like Beast, Professor Xavier, etc. It felt like a weird, warm, fuzzy trip a decade or so into the past, which is oddly fitting for this film.

So yeah, I was very surprised and pleased with this movie. Also, the post-credits scene hints at Apocalypse, which I've been waiting for a long time to see in an X-Men film already. So it's about time. I'll be interested to see the Avengers version of Quicksilver too, but knowing that Aaron-Taylor Johnson (a.k.a. the main character from Kick-Ass) will be playing him originally excited me, yet after seeing how bland he was in Godzilla (which I honestly thought was, otherwise, a very good movie) I'm not sure I'm really looking forward to it much anymore.

The one other shitty thing is that Channing Tatum is announced to be playing Gambit in the next X-Men film. This sucks. Gambit is my favourite X-Men character and he's supposed to be all sleek and suave and French and charming, not...fucking Channing Tatum. >:[ Even the guy who played him crappily in X-Men Origins: Wolverine would've been preferable.

EDIT: Oh, a couple other thoughts I forgot to put down. I forgot to mention that Blink's portrayal in the film was awesome and one of the most exciting powers to see in action. It was like seeing the portal gun from Portal being put to use with X-Men powers. The second thing was that while the film had some wonderful CGI, it also had some exceedingly shitty CGI. Colossus, Sunspot and Iceman in particular. When Colossus goes all metal he looks like the T-1000's liquidy state, looking like he was probably rendered in the same era as well. Sunspot and Iceman's forms (all flamey and all icy, respectively) look like they're from a video game. It's really weird.

The only other thing I was really disappointed with was the Sentinels, which look so modernized and overly sleek. I was hoping for at least a slight nod to their creepy, unsettling origins design-wise. Peter Dinklage was great as Trask, Jennifer Lawrence was okay as Raven/Mystique, and Patrick Stewart/Ian McKellan were good as Professor X/Magneto but didn't really get any chance to shine, which is unfortunate because they're fucking Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan and should be showcased in any film they're in. The bits of screentime they did get were great. I think that's about all the bases covered. All the little nods to other mutants were great, I much prefer this film's version of Toad to the older films', seeing Ink in the film was about the last mutant cameo I ever expected, and Warpath was extremely disappointing because he just seemed like a really fit, athletic guy.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 09:52:20 PM by Snupes »

Ghost of V

« Reply #355 on: May 25, 2014, 10:52:24 PM »
tl;dr

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 26, 2014, 12:02:09 AM »
I just saw it as well and pretty much agree with everything said.

I really loved Quicksilver, but I already thought Evan Peters was great. I was also disappointed with the look of the sentinels and I kinda wish the story didn't focus so much on Raven/Mystique but I can understand that she was the personification of the overall theme.

I really wish Rogue had been a bigger character, she and Nightcrawler are my favorites. Speaking of which, I want Nightcrawler back. A better one. Alan Cumming was alright but he wasn't flirty or energetic enough.

I forgot about Chatum being the next Gambit. I laughed a lot when I heard about that one.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #357 on: May 26, 2014, 01:45:45 AM »
There are too many superhero franchises out there. >o<  I haven't seen any of these X-Men movies since the original trilogy.  Should I watch them?  I've heard they're all good except for X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Ghost of V

« Reply #358 on: May 26, 2014, 01:47:11 AM »
I thought the X-Men movie with young baldy and cool badass anti-hero was really good.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 26, 2014, 01:48:26 AM »
First Class is good and you kind of have to watch it to understand this one.