Offline rooster

• View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #400 on: May 30, 2014, 05:15:21 PM »
Finally, I'm not the only one who liked the first Hobbit more than the second.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #401 on: May 30, 2014, 05:43:40 PM »

However, you remain the only one who doesn't like superhero movies.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 30, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »

However, you remain the only one who doesn't like superhero movies.

Nah.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #403 on: May 30, 2014, 05:47:48 PM »
You hate everything, balkno.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 30, 2014, 05:50:37 PM »
Superhero movies aren't deep, complex and intellectually challenging enough for the mature viewers such as balkno.
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: May 30, 2014, 06:24:11 PM »
I think they should stop with this "gritty realism" bullshit and make a superhero movie. Be cheesy, over the top, camp, whatever, you're making movies about dudes in full body spandex with magical powers, embrace it or go and do something else.
The Avenger movies are the type of cheese you're looking for.

« Reply #406 on: May 30, 2014, 10:42:31 PM »
X-men was alright, I don't think it's worth the reviews people have been giving it. It was really weird when Eric decided randomly to kill Mystique after believing Wolverine's 100% true story about time travel. Bunch of other issues that come up because of time travel, but that's expected. It wasn't a dumb movie, but it helped if you just turn your brain off and watch. The Quicksilver scene was probably one of the best parts of the movie.

Also, has anyone stayed for the after credits sequence? Because I couldn't be bothered.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 30, 2014, 10:58:39 PM »
X-men was alright, I don't think it's worth the reviews people have been giving it. It was really weird when Eric decided randomly to kill Mystique after believing Wolverine's 100% true story about time travel. Bunch of other issues that come up because of time travel, but that's expected. It wasn't a dumb movie, but it helped if you just turn your brain off and watch. The Quicksilver scene was probably one of the best parts of the movie.

Also, has anyone stayed for the after credits sequence? Because I couldn't be bothered.
Yeah, it's just a snippet of the villain from next movie which the title gives away. You can find it on youtube if you care.

I believed Eric's choice. He may like Mystique but he's way more concerned about the well-being of mutants, it would be worth it to kill her with what he knew of her involvement.

« Reply #408 on: May 31, 2014, 12:31:40 AM »
His decision to kill her wasn't that crazy, it was that he instantly believes Wolverines story. They gave screen time to convincing charles, and even that was too little I felt.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 31, 2014, 12:34:31 AM »
Well in the mutant world I'm sure time travel wouldn't be as unbelievable as it is to us. Once Charles's powers came back then they would be all in. Plus, Logan wanted Charles to read his mind to see he was telling the truth before he knew his powers weren't working which seems like a good indication of honesty.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 01:35:52 AM by rooster »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 31, 2014, 12:39:14 AM »
I think they should stop with this "gritty realism" bullshit and make a superhero movie. Be cheesy, over the top, camp, whatever, you're making movies about dudes in full body spandex with magical powers, embrace it or go and do something else.

Absolutely agree. This is why I liked Captain America: The First Avenger and, really, the Marvel universe in general.

How about the guy who directed Chronicle?

Oh, hm, maybe. He strikes me as way too gritty for The Fantastic Four (one guy is a genius whose superpower is stretching, for Christ's sake), but I don't know of any of his other work. He's very talented, at least, and I'd trust him more than most people.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #411 on: May 31, 2014, 04:35:00 AM »
Being dark and gritty can work.  Nolan did it well with the Dark Knight trilogy, and of course I did it even better with my eternally-unfinished magnum opus The Sequel, although that didn't really have any superheroes...no, scratch that, it totally did.  Anyway, it's more of a risk, and it's a lot easier to make fun of when it goes terribly wrong, but I don't think it's right to be saying that superheroes should be silly as a rule.  Even Man of Steel could have worked, perhaps if it had narrowed its scope a bit and focused on telling an origin story, taking its time with relatable situations and naturalistic character development, rather than quickly bolting through all that so we could see an hour's worth of mindless carnage and hilarious product placement.  Bleh.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 31, 2014, 08:22:18 AM »
"Could work", yeah, but I have a feeling The Fantastic Four would be impossibly difficult to make effectively "dark and gritty". I guess we'll see.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 31, 2014, 05:22:02 PM »
Being dark and gritty can work.  Nolan did it well with the Dark Knight trilogy, and of course I did it even better with my eternally-unfinished magnum opus The Sequel, although that didn't really have any superheroes...no, scratch that, it totally did.  Anyway, it's more of a risk, and it's a lot easier to make fun of when it goes terribly wrong, but I don't think it's right to be saying that superheroes should be silly as a rule.  Even Man of Steel could have worked, perhaps if it had narrowed its scope a bit and focused on telling an origin story, taking its time with relatable situations and naturalistic character development, rather than quickly bolting through all that so we could see an hour's worth of mindless carnage and hilarious product placement.  Bleh.

Batman works in that mode, though I don't think Nolan's trilogy is a masterpiece by any stretch, they are quite baggy and often pretentious. I for one would like to see a return to the noir style of Batman: The Animated Series, it's dark and moody but it also allows for a more heavily stylised approach. This is why I think Tim Burton's attempts are the best so far, they tread the fine lines between serious and dull, style and camp very well, and they genuinely feel like comic book movies rather than high concept action flicks.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #414 on: June 01, 2014, 03:24:17 AM »

Ghost of V

« Reply #415 on: June 01, 2014, 05:59:04 AM »

Josh Brolin

« Reply #416 on: June 01, 2014, 06:00:38 AM »
Er, he definitely looks the part. Especially with some makeup. Does it matter though? Thanos isn't going to be part of the next Avengers is he?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #417 on: June 01, 2014, 12:58:53 PM »
The same article says he will.

Rama Set

« Reply #418 on: June 01, 2014, 01:21:53 PM »
Likely only in a teaser unless they want to make an awful movie.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 01, 2014, 01:55:24 PM »
I can absolutely see Josh Brolin as Thanos. I think that's a great choice. I wonder, will he just be doing the voice, since we've already seen Thanos? Because either way...he's got the perfect face shape for Thanos, and I think with some post-production modification his voice would be perfect as well. I'm actually really pleased with this.