Censored
« on: May 27, 2019, 04:53:35 PM »
Hi, spent alot of time watching flat earth videos last year then left it, was telling a friend today about it and I tried to find a video for them to watch, why have all the great videos disappeared? Are YouTube censoring anything that puts up a good argument for a flat earth? Every video that comes up is either trying to debunk or just making fun of it, that includes Google searches, it wasn't like this 6 months ago

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
Re: Censored
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 05:16:39 PM »
Hi, spent alot of time watching flat earth videos last year then left it, was telling a friend today about it and I tried to find a video for them to watch, why have all the great videos disappeared? Are YouTube censoring anything that puts up a good argument for a flat earth? Every video that comes up is either trying to debunk or just making fun of it, that includes Google searches, it wasn't like this 6 months ago

One could equally well ask why those who do post the FE videos on YT are so keen to delete/block/ban commenters who don't agree with their content.

No?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 05:41:33 PM »

YouTube recently announced they had changed their algorithm so that it would not recommend FE videos as often. That could be related to it, but I have not heard any mention of this aspect specifically from YouTube. It makes sense that this could be part of the same algorithm tweak - the algorithm that recommends your next video could be very closely related to the one used in the search algorithm.

I've also noticed the same issue. I sometimes try to search for a particular FE video I've seen before only to have it be very hard to find.

YouTube has become aware that the spread of harmful disinformation in recent years has been traced back to them. The algorithms they use to serve up content have led to a rise in this type of content, and that is something they don't want to be associated with. Therefore, they have tweaked their algorithm in an attempt to reduce the spread of the disinformation.

For now, they are not banning the content, and they aren't demonetizing it either. But they have made an effort to reduce the spread of it that has been caused by their platform.

Offline Science Supporter

• Globe Earth is Only Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 06:03:25 PM »
YouTube really does not give a fuck about these. Possibly, the reason why you think videos have been "censored" is because of:

A) Flat Earth creators deleting/restricting comments or reviews, or even deleting their video
B) Videos mocking the Flat Earth receive more views than actual Flat Earth videos (nigahiga's video has like 17 million views)
C) Many Globe Earth creators constantly debunk Flat Earth videos, so when you search up "Flat Earth" you will see "Flat Earth Debunked!" since it matches your search.
"We are not here to directly persuade anyone [...] You mistake our lack of interest in you for our absence."
-Pete Svarrior

"We are extremely popular and the entire world wants to talk to us. We have better things to do with our lives than have in depth discussions with every single curious person. You are lucky to get one sentence dismissals from us"
-Tom Bishop

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 08:28:02 PM »

YouTube recently announced they had changed their algorithm so that it would not recommend FE videos as often. That could be related to it, but I have not heard any mention of this aspect specifically from YouTube. It makes sense that this could be part of the same algorithm tweak - the algorithm that recommends your next video could be very closely related to the one used in the search algorithm.

I've also noticed the same issue. I sometimes try to search for a particular FE video I've seen before only to have it be very hard to find.

YouTube has become aware that the spread of harmful disinformation in recent years has been traced back to them. The algorithms they use to serve up content have led to a rise in this type of content, and that is something they don't want to be associated with. Therefore, they have tweaked their algorithm in an attempt to reduce the spread of the disinformation.

For now, they are not banning the content, and they aren't demonetizing it either. But they have made an effort to reduce the spread of it that has been caused by their platform.

Btw flat earth is a harmless disinformation that shows how many people misthink. It should popularized imo.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:29:39 AM by Bikini Polaris »
Quote from: Pete Svarrior
these waves of smug RE'ers are temporary. Every now and then they flood us for a year or two in response to some media attention, and eventually they peter out. In my view, it's a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 07:55:21 AM »
Btw flat earth is a harmless disinformation that shows how many people misthink. It shiuld popularized imo.

I would have to agree with this. The flat Earth should not be censored. It is very fun.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:11:05 AM by Auditor »
It could be round or flat, but round has really been working out so much better for us.

Perhaps it would be better to say the Earth is "pointy".