Offline Inka

• View Profile
11 hr direct flight from Auckland to buenos aires
« on: March 03, 2016, 11:42:42 PM »
Hi,

I just found a direct flight from Auckland to buenos aires which takes 11 hours. It's with New Zealand air flight no anz30. Looking at the flat earth map the distance between NZ and South America is huge, i am no expert but I don't think the plane would cover the distance in 11 hours only and without anyone noticing the flight path. What are your thoughts?

Re: 11 hr direct flight from Auckland to buenos aires
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 12:30:04 AM »
Hi,

I just found a direct flight from Auckland to buenos aires which takes 11 hours. It's with New Zealand air flight no anz30. Looking at the flat earth map the distance between NZ and South America is huge, i am no expert but I don't think the plane would cover the distance in 11 hours only and without anyone noticing the flight path. What are your thoughts?

Can I get a link to the flat earth map?

Does this flight go south over antartica or west?

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 02:27:46 AM »
Hi,

I have not prepared maps for this route, I did not know it existed till just now. The next flight Auckland to Buenos Aries  (flight ANZ30) is:
Departs Auckland, Friday, 4 March, 7:20 pm, this is 6:20 am Friday, UTC.
Arrives Buenos Aires, Friday, 4 March, 3:00 pm, this is 6:00 pm Thursday, UTC.
These times give a gate to gate time of 11 hrs 40 min - west to east has favourable winds.
Note that the return flight takes 13 hrs 31 min - winds wrong way.

I do have maps for the Sydney to Santiago route, which is just a little longer. These flights do not go very close to Antarctica.

Below are the shortest distance routes from Sydney(Australia) to Santiago (Chile) on the Gleason's Map[1] and on Google Earth (for the Globe).
Note that the actual routes used on long distant flights will usually be chosen to fit in with the current winds. The return flight from Chile to Sydney often would be routed further south, possibly within sight of Antarctica.
    Shortest Sydney to Santiago on "Gleason Map"
    about 25,400 km

Great Circle Sydney to Santiago on "Google Earth"
    about 11,400 km

[1] Note that while the Gleason's map is often used by Flat Earthers, it is not the "Official Map"!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:18:53 PM by rabinoz »

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 05:14:41 AM »
That's not a projection that has accurate representation of latitude. So no clue why you wasted your time rabinoz.

geckothegeek

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 05:27:09 AM »
Hi,

I have not prepared maps for this route, I did not know it existed till just now. The next flight Auckland to Buenos Aries  (flight ANZ30) is:
Departs Auckland, Friday, 4 March, 7:20 pm, this is 6:20 am Friday, UTC.
Arrives Buenos Aires, Friday, 4 March, 3:00 pm, this is 6:00 pm Thursday, UTC.
These times give a gate to gate time of 11 hrs 40 min - west to east has favourable winds.
Note that the return flight takes 13 hrs 31 min - winds wrong way.

I do have maps for the Sydney to Santiago route, which is just a little longer. These flights do not go very close to Antarctica.

Below are the shortest distance routes from Sydney(Australia) to Santiago (Chile) on the Gleason's Map[1] and on Google Earth (for the Globe).
Note that the actual routes used on long distant flights will usually be chosen to fit in with the current winds. The return flight from Chile to Sydney often would be routed further south, possibly within sight of Antarctica.
    Shortest Sydney to Santiago on "Gleason Map"
    about 25,400 km

Great Circle Sydney to Santiago on "Google Earth"
    about 11,400 km

[1] Note that while the Gleason's map is often used by Flat Earthers, it is not the "Official Map"!

Also note that Gleason's map appears to be just a carbon copy of The Azimuthal Equidistant Projection. He cites it as a projection as that of "J.S. Christopher, Modern College, Blackheath, England" Was that error made on purpose as part of the falsifying as a claim that it was original ?. The college in Blackheath is Morden College. Was Gleason trying to pass the map off as his own personal invention ?

[2] Not also that Gleason's map is not "The world as it is." It is not "scientifically and practically correct." Note also that the flight would pass over parts of The United States.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 05:36:44 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline Inka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 07:55:21 AM »
Sorry i am new to this, i only heard of the flat earth theory yesterday, and i am not even sure what the official flat earth map is. I was looking at this map: https://he.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/קובץ:Flat_Earth.png, but you can look at other flat earth maps i guess, i just think the distance between the two cities on a flat earth map is too big to cover in 11 hours, it would support the round earth theory more. Anyway the flight is in air as i am writing this and its coming up on the flight tracker with detailed flight logs and graphs showing the latitude and longtitude so have a look. What do you think?

Offline Unsure101

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 08:38:23 AM »
Hi,

As I've stated in another thread, my friend has caught the return flight recently and it does only take 11 hours or so.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 08:48:42 AM »
That's not a projection that has accurate representation of latitude. So no clue why you wasted your time rabinoz.
That is almost identical to the map  TFES uses. Have a look in http://wiki.tfes.org/Antarctica. and many Flat Earthers insist that Gleason's is a "Flat Earth map" - it is not.
The Gleason map does have latitude and longitude marked and it does have an "accurate representation of latitude". Mind you it is massively out in east - west distances in the Southern Hemisphere. Don't blame me for that! I have often said that TFES has NO accurate map. Not my problem!
So if you have a different map, don't keep it to yourself, please tell us
Just in case you didn't notice!

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 01:06:19 PM »
That's why I asked for a link to the official flat earth map. Because I didn't know there was an official one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azimuthal_equidistant_projection

Here is the information on that projection and, no, latitude distances aren't correct, only distances from the north pole are, "longitude"

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 07:03:59 AM »
That's why I asked for a link to the official flat earth map. Because I didn't know there was an official one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azimuthal_equidistant_projection

Here is the information on that projection and, no, latitude distances aren't correct, only distances from the north pole are, "longitude"
As far as I know the only difference between the maps is the orientation.
Both are Azimuthal Equidistant Projections, but the Gleason map has 0° longitude to the right and the TFES map has 0° longitude down.

I used the Gleason's simply because it has lat and long, and some place names.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 03:28:01 PM »
I'd like a link to that flight.

You can book it yourself at http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/flight-search/global/en - just put Sydney and Santiago in. QF27 and QF28 are the direct flights and take (at this time of year) 12hr40min SYD-to-SCL and 14hr15min SCL-to-SYD. The discrepancy eastbound/westbound is due to prevailing winds, but the average is about 13hrs30mins.

Flight aware records for the eastbound leg - https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA27

The flights certainly exist. The aircraft certainly exist. The passengers certainly exist. What's more, after a 3-ish hour layover, the same plane returns to Sydney. So it's absent from its home port for around 31 hours, claims to have done a round trip to South America, is full of hundreds of people telling Australian Customs and Immigration officials that they boarded in Chile, and last I checked Boeing didn't sell Qantas some kind of super-speed but ultra fuel-efficient 747 for the route. And if it's a hoax, it's one they pull off four times a week. Every week.

It's pretty hard to suggest that the distance from Sydney to Santiago is higher than that shown on a round earth.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 03:36:28 PM by Ointflytment »

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 05:27:30 PM »
There needs to be a flight that goes over the south pole for this to be anything worth mentioning.

Offline nametaken

• ͡ ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡ ͡°
    • View Profile
thanks for breaking my google earth
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 12:49:07 AM »
thanks for breaking my google earth... the line just disappears. Can someone with more knowledge of GEarth try this? Mine is derped (actually it just crashed now). Also you can't trust 2d maps that represent the globe; the distance can be skewed.

The Flat Earth Society has members all around the Globe
[H]ominem unius libri timeo ~Truth is stranger.

Offline Woody

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 02:24:03 AM »
There needs to be a flight that goes over the south pole for this to be anything worth mentioning.

Not really.  Distance on a FE and RE will not match up somewhere. 

If FE goes with the south pole at the center then flights traveling between North America and Asia would be brought up.

If someone comes up with something else the distance will not match somewhere.

The whole reason there is not an accurate FE map is because known distances can not be used to make the map.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 02:31:53 AM »

If FE goes with the south pole at the center then flights traveling between North America and Asia would be brought up.

The whole reason there is not an accurate FE map is because known distances can not be used to make the map.
In the post 11 hr direct flight from Auckland to buenos aires « Reply #2 » (earlier in this thread) I gave the Sydney to Santiago shortest routes on the "Gleason Map" (close to the FE's "Ice Wall Map" and has some place names) and on the Globe (Google Earth Pro). The differences in routes and distances is massive. Here is a reduced size version of the maps:
    Shortest Sydney to Santiago on
    "Gleason Map", about 25,400 km

Great Circle Sydney to Santiago on
    "Google Earth", about 11,400 km

The distance on the Gleason map had to be scaled from the Equator to North Pole distance of 10,000 km.

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 05:11:07 AM »

In the post 11 hr direct flight from Auckland to buenos aires « Reply #2 » (earlier in this thread) I gave the Sydney to Santiago shortest routes on the "Gleason Map" (close to the FE's "Ice Wall Map" and has some place names) and on the Globe (Google Earth Pro). The differences in routes and distances is massive. Here is a reduced size version of the maps:
    Shortest Sydney to Santiago on
    "Gleason Map", about 25,400 km

Great Circle Sydney to Santiago on
    "Google Earth", about 11,400 km

The distance on the Gleason map had to be scaled from the Equator to North Pole distance of 10,000 km.

Dude. How many times do you have to be told that the AEP is not accurate for latitude? What is so hard to understand? Distances are accurate from the center asking the longitude ONLY.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 12:16:31 PM »
Dude. How many times do you have to be told that the AEP is not accurate for latitude?
How many times?  I'm guessing that number will be exactly the same as the number of times YOU have to be told that the AEP is "one of the two Flat Earth geographic models" as presented by the Wiki

What is so hard to understand?
Nothing, we completely understand that the AEP is not an accurate representation of the world.  It seems to me that you are misunderstanding something: it appears that you don't know that some FE proponents believe it IS accurate.  We RE proponents did not invent a foolish "flat earth map, ha ha ha!" so as to have a straw man to kick around, the wiki gave it to us. 

Distances are accurate from the center asking the longitude ONLY.
It isn't our fault that the real world doesn't correspond to the AEP, but I am glad to see you acknowledge it.  Nice to find something about which I can agree with you!
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 03:16:36 PM »
Well you do know that it isn't accurate, but you still try to use it to your advantage. At this point, that can only be interpreted as you being intentionally misleading.