Re: How do we know the Earth is spherical?
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2016, 07:04:25 PM »
So if I put a camera in between the sun and the earth in the model below, you are saying we should only see the moon 1 time in the camera every 8 months?

Yes I'm saying that. When thinking about this remember that the model above isn't remotely to scale.

Also remember that the satellite camera only has a very narrow field of vision - enough to just cover the earth from around a million miles out.

How can that be so?

Are you also suggesting the moon's orbit changes so dramatically from July 16-17 to not be able to see it?

So on July 16 the moon appeared in between the supposed camera and earth. And the very next day, the moon's orbit changed so much as to not be able to see it at all?

The moon's orbit also changed so much in one day that we will not see it for another 8 months?

After the appearance on July 16 it would be another month before the moon was anywhere near the satellite's field of vision - because the moon orbits the earth once a month.

And because of the angle of the moon's orbit, in most months the moon will pass either above or below the camera view. So the moon will come into view relatively rarely.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:14:35 PM by Copper Knickers »

« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2016, 07:53:22 PM »
So if I put a camera in between the sun and the earth in the model below, you are saying we should only see the moon 1 time in the camera every 8 months?

Yes I'm saying that. When thinking about this remember that the model above isn't remotely to scale.

Also remember that the satellite camera only has a very narrow field of vision - enough to just cover the earth from around a million miles out.

How can that be so?

Are you also suggesting the moon's orbit changes so dramatically from July 16-17 to not be able to see it?

So on July 16 the moon appeared in between the supposed camera and earth. And the very next day, the moon's orbit changed so much as to not be able to see it at all?

The moon's orbit also changed so much in one day that we will not see it for another 8 months?

After the appearance on July 16 it would be another month before the moon was anywhere near the satellite's field of vision - because the moon orbits the earth once a month.

And because of the angle of the moon's orbit, in most months the moon will pass either above or below the camera view. So the moon will come into view relatively rarely.

Ok so the moon came Into view on July 16. And as it passed/orbited back "hehind" the earth over the next approx 4-7 days, as i assume would be viewed, the camera would not pick up this image?

Clarification:

At some point you should see the moon "setting" behind the earth and at many different angles as it progresses its supposed orbit. And then days later you should see it "rising" until out of view of the satellite. Rinse and repeat every single day.

I am curious why this isn't observed in any of the images provided?

Also, if you would give me a model that is to scale or one that is more acceptable I'd appreciate it. I just chose a random one to ask my question. Thanks.

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2016, 07:55:53 PM »

How can that be so?

Ok so the moon came Into view on July 16. And as it passed/orbited back "hehind" the earth over the next approx 4-7 days, as i assume would be viewed, the camera would not pick up this image?

Clarification:

At some point you should see the moon "setting" behind the earth and at many different angles as it progresses its supposed orbit. And then days later you should see it "rising" until out of view of the satellite. Rinse and repeat every single day.

Also, if you would give me a model that is to scale or one that is more acceptable I'd appreciate it. I just chose a random one to ask my question. Thanks.

Why did you ignore my post about optical zoom? From that post you can easily figure out why you would see the Moon so rarely
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2016, 08:00:44 PM »
Yeah, I wonder why people wouldn't pay much attention to you ::)
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2016, 08:07:38 PM »
Yeah, I wonder why people wouldn't pay much attention to you ::)

What is that supposed to mean? Howcome you have to target me specifically in every single thread I'm in? He asked for an explanation, I gave him one, even though the material provided in previous replies by others debating in this thread explained it perfectly well to him. No harm done, and now I asked him a simple question; He might have had his reasons. The orbital details of the Moon did explain this perfectly fine though.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2016, 08:38:47 PM »
I'm not targetting you at all. I'm simply approaching a certain type of entitled RE'ers, of which you happen to be a prominent example.

« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2016, 08:53:50 PM »

Clarification:

The moon orbits the earth every 27/28 days so after July 16 it will be nearly 14 days before it goes to the directly opposite side of the earth from the satellite's point of view. On this day the moon may come into view but this is again dependent on the inclination of the moon's orbit.

Imagine you're a million miles from earth and viewing it through a telescope such that all you can see through the telescope is the earth and a bit of space around it. Your field of vision will be roughly 10000 miles across at earth distance. Now the moon is orbiting the earth with an orbital circumference of around 1.5 million miles. Most of the time the moon will be way out to your left or right. Only every 14 days will the moon become briefly vertically aligned with your field of vision. And when it does, the chances are that it will pass above or below, because of the moon's inclined orbit.

Scale models are tricky because of the distances involved. The earth is about 12000 earth diameters from the sun. So try imagining the model you gave with a lot more space!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:59:43 PM by Copper Knickers »

« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2016, 09:21:54 PM »
I'm not targetting you at all. I'm simply approaching a certain type of entitled RE'ers, of which you happen to be a prominent example.

So harrassment, basically.

Offline Rayzor

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2016, 10:12:17 PM »

What do you think the word "entitled" actually means?  I've seen you use it a number of times in this context,  but I don't think you understand the word.

« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2016, 10:12:47 PM »

The moon orbits the earth every 27/28 days so after July 16 it will be nearly 14 days before it goes to the directly opposite side of the earth from the satellite's point of view. On this day the moon may come into view but this is again dependent on the inclination of the moon's orbit.

Ok let's talk about the field of view provided to us by the moon passing clips...

You will see in the first pic that there is indeed PLENTY of field of view:

And so, considering what I observe as a substantial amount of Field of View seen, we should at some point see something that resembles this:

As you can see I was very generous on the field of view and I reduced the moon from the clip down to more than half.

The fact that we do not see any images resembling this, nor ANY images of the moon at all from this supposed satellite has me more than just a little suspicious.

So we have determined that the field of view argument is invalid. What say ye?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2016, 10:28:32 PM »
but I don't think you understand the word.
Honey, I've already asked you to stop resorting to cheap personal attacks. It's cute that you consider foreigners to be "disabled", but try to take it down a notch.

What do you think the word "entitled" actually means?
I like the definition that pops up on Google, so I'll roll with it: believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

A certain group of Round Earthers, very notably including andruszkow, are deeply convinced that their posts are more deserving of a response than those of anyone else. Everyone gets ignored sometimes, but when it happens to an entitled RE'er, they go out of their way to announce their objection to it. This is due to their extreme sense of entitlement, superiority, and a complete lack of humility.

Here's a thread that illustrates it quite well - http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=3449.0 - note how upset he gets when he doesn't get what he wants.

I don't know where you got that from, but I already explained this to you via PM: Once you stop acting like an entitled child, people will stop calling you out on it, and maybe they'll even treat you with respect.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:31:40 PM by SexWarrior »

Offline UnionsOfSolarSystemPlanet

• The Moon orbits spherical Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2016, 11:13:06 PM »

Ok let's talk about the field of view provided to us by the moon passing clips...

You will see in the first pic that there is indeed PLENTY of field of view:

And so, considering what I observe as a substantial amount of Field of View seen, we should at some point see something that resembles this:

As you can see I was very generous on the field of view and I reduced the moon from the clip down to more than half.

The fact that we do not see any images resembling this, nor ANY images of the moon at all from this supposed satellite has me more than just a little suspicious.

So we have determined that the field of view argument is invalid. What say ye?

The next full Moon after July 17 2015 is August 1 2015, the field of view of EPIC was too small to see the Moon.
This is what it would seen had the field of view increased

I'll repeat the question that I asked you earlier in the thread:

Why would you think there must be further images of the moon? The images go back only 8 months. How often do you think the moon passes between earth and the satellite?

One pass of the moon in 8 months seems reasonable to me. I'm sure there'll be further passes along in due course.

I didn't see that question. I apologize.

Here is your answer.

The RE suggests that the moon rotates around the earth!!

I read that somewhere... let me think... oh yes, every single book published about the moon and earth.

Now. You want to answer my question???

Why do no other images of the moon exist from that satelitte?

If the moon rotates around the earth it should be in almost ever image.

Remember that website shows you everyday that's its logged images and that supposed satellite  takes a supposed image every  2 hours, yet no images of the moon?

How can this be explained?

For the moon to appear in the image it must pass directly between the satellite and the earth. Now, the satellite is positioned at a Lagrangian point between the sun and the earth, so the moon only has an opportunity to be seen by the satellite once every month. But since the moon's orbit is inclined by about 5 degrees to the ecliptic, most months the moon will pass either above or below the satellite's field of vision. So to have only one sighting of the moon in 8 months isn't really unusual.

I hope that makes sense.

How can that be so?

The model you've shown is completely false, the Moon's orbit is inclined about 5.145 degrees to the ecliptic that's why Solar and Lunar eclipse doesn't happen every month.

Bookish Neptune will not do as he promised.

He asked for pictures, we showed him, he told us those werent pictures, that they are fake....  ??? We explained to him what composite pictures were. He started complaining about there was no moon, we showed him the moon.

No. You nor anyone else has "showed me the moon".

You and a lot of other people have missed the my point about the moon anomaly COMPLETELY!

So I shall try again. Now please pay close attention.

NASA released the following gif:

These images were taken supposedly from the EPIC (DSCOVR) Satellite.

Located here at this link:
http://epic.gsfc.nasa.gov

This supposed satellite takes a picture  of earth from space every 2 hours.

NASA publishes all of the pictures taken each day.

At the link above, you will find a calendar for every day since July 2015.

Click on EVERYDAY from July 2015 until now Feb 2016.

You WILL NOT see the moon in any other image published!

This CANNOT be!

Munky and all the others commenting, please take a moment and actually read what I have written, and then click through every image provided by NASA from this supposed satellite and tell me why no moon appears.

This supposed satellite has been taking images of the earth since JULY 2015 and we have been provided just one image with the moon in view???

HOW CAN THIS BE?

I submit this as proof this satellite is a fraud. And all the images that come along with it.

Instead of emotionally posting, please take a minute to see this anamoly yourself!

Then give a response to:

Why do no other images show the moon?
You forgot to click the "Galleries" button.
The size of the Solar system if the Moon were only 1 pixel:
http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2016, 12:03:59 AM »
I was under the apparently mistaken impression that OP was:
How do we know the Earth is spherical?

I made a post http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=4499.msg88069#msg88069
where I stated that the earth we live on simply cannot be flat

All the argument here seems to be between one side saying that we should see the moon more often in certain photos than we do.

What I am doing here is essentially repeating the earlier post, with a little different wording.

But, what about the crucial question? Let's look at the accepted dimensions of the earth.
From the TFES Wiki we have:
Quote from: Flat Earth Wiki
The figure of 24,900 miles is the diameter of the known world; the area which the light from the sun affects.
Presumably the distance from the north pole out to the equator can be taken as one quarter of this, 6,225 miles or 10,018 km.

I will use a rounded figure for the north pole to equator distance of 10,000 km, which is closer to the currently accepted value.

Then to get a figure for the equatorial circumference of the earth, we can look at the "definition" of the Nautical Mile:
A sea mile or nautical mile is, strictly, the length of a minute of arc measured along a meridian. It represents a minute of longitude only at the equator.
  Currently the Nm is defined as exactly 1,852 meters. 
So the circumference of the equator must be (1,852 m) x 60' x 360° = 40,003 km.

Again I will use a rounded figure for the equatorial circumference of 40,000 km.

But, on any flat earth map I have seen the equatorial circle circumference is simply the
circumference of a circle of radius 10,000 km, or 62,830 km.

I do not see any possible way of reconciling the quite accepted equatorial circumference of 40,000 km of the earth
with the flat earth equatorial circle circumference of 62,830 km.

What are your thoughts? Are my distances wrong?

It seems strange to me that so many flat earth supporters send post after post quibble about tiny problems they see in a satellite photo, or some feature of the globe, yet are simply quite unwilling to tackle (what to me are) glaring holes in their own model.
Part of this must be that so many of flat earth supporters simply do not understand the implications of what they claim to support.

« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2016, 12:17:15 AM »
but I don't think you understand the word.
Honey, I've already asked you to stop resorting to cheap personal attacks. It's cute that you consider foreigners to be "disabled", but try to take it down a notch.

What do you think the word "entitled" actually means?
I like the definition that pops up on Google, so I'll roll with it: believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

A certain group of Round Earthers, very notably including andruszkow, are deeply convinced that their posts are more deserving of a response than those of anyone else. Everyone gets ignored sometimes, but when it happens to an entitled RE'er, they go out of their way to announce their objection to it. This is due to their extreme sense of entitlement, superiority, and a complete lack of humility.

Here's a thread that illustrates it quite well - http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=3449.0 - note how upset he gets when he doesn't get what he wants.

I don't know where you got that from, but I already explained this to you via PM: Once you stop acting like an entitled child, people will stop calling you out on it, and maybe they'll even treat you with respect.

Just to use your own terminology, it's cute that you try to publicly humiliate me based on a post that peaked after a long period of belittleling in previous posts. Do I need to pull out the whole "The notion of letting syrian refugees in" thread, where every attempt I tried to make showcasing humility and just a tad bit of humanity, were met with quoting my posts but altering what I wrote?

Skipping the fact completely that I'm not acting like a "entitled child", ultimately, you reap what you sow. The attitude you recieve from many a poster is often a result of your slightly unpleasant tone. I'm not using the term belittling loosely here.

Aside from that, let's say I act like an entitled "Round Earther", whatever that is supposed to mean. Through my many years in development, electronic engineering, and orbital mechanic studies, I've gathered enough practical experience to have been appointed as a single point of contact for various outreach and trauma programs. My role is to guide people in the right direction, and the group I'm handling are specifically for those with an interest in engineering, development, or astronomy. A lot of those people are Afghanistan veterans, people with a history of mental disorders, and in general, people with somewhat unfortunate destinies. They all share a common mindset: "We don't know what to believe anymore".

Just as an example, the Afghanistan veterans suffering from PTSD or just a general emptiness basically say the same thing: We spent 1 tour or several tours carrying out orders to fit a master plan not transparent to us. A normal day in Afghanistan was driving around for 12 hours a day, scouting or escorting personel for the bigger part of that group. This included, but was not limited to, stepping out of their vehicle in the middle of nowhere, picking up bodyparts and cleaning up in general, when their friends hit IED's etc. They come home to nothing. No action, no future, and certainly not mental stability.

These guys are super vulnerable. While they're considering their lifes, including the consideration of ending it, they're reflecting over people they've shot, friends they've lost, or the frustration of not seeing the fight for getting women and children of Helman a decent life being a success. Their belief system is chaotic. This also makes them manipulable in terms of taking in the often more alternative explanations to the reality we all share. This includes believing in the flat earth as well. And this is only the Afghanistan veterans.

Some fight for humanity by helping out homeless people. Some travel to Africa as volunteers. We all have our own definitions of what's the right thing to do, and at the same time, we're not all capable of reaching out in certain ways. For instance, I could never travel to Africa during an Ebola outbreak. I'm not built for that. I am very good at communicating and teaching though, which is why delivering correct information is alpha omega. This is how it should be for everybody.

So on that notion: Yes, I'm damn flipping entitled as a "Round Earther" to demand that you're being honest about what you do. I'm entitled to demand that whatever results and theories you pass around are thoroughly tested. So far, Flat Earth Theory is just a small-scale phenomena existing digitally, presenting a reality built on a theory, instead of a theory built on reality. It might seem small and innocent to you, but the ramifications of this level of misinformation, or at least, information lacking any credible sources, trials, and independent reviewing has huge implications and consequences to the lesser fortunate part of our western society. Basic psychology suggests that when people have taken a negative stance, there's an 80% likelihood it will never change. If you construct your reality around a theory, you will always be wrong, if the theory is wrong. That theory might get passed to the next in line, which introduces indoctrination.

So yes, for certain things concerning what this debate is about, I am entitled. People can believe what they want, but when you as an institution or a society of likeminded people try to reach out to the general public, deliberately creating a huge disbelief in established systems, you have the responsibility to ensure that it's done right. That goes even if you're trolling or if you actually believe the ideas you spread.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:21:16 AM by andruszkow »

« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2016, 12:17:54 AM »
All the argument here seems to be between one side saying that we should see the moon more often in certain photos than we do.

It appears you haven't been keeping up with the thread. Nearly the entire first page is about pictures and the rest of the thread....

And contrary to what you may believe, all that transpired BEFORE you entered the discussion.

The OP posted a video. 10 reasons earth is round... #10 We have pictures...

Someone said "We have pictures of lochness monster and big foot, so should believe those pictures are real".

So.. if you would kindly go back and read, you will CLEARLY see the bulk of this thread is about images.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2016, 12:25:16 AM »
Just to use your own terminology, it's cute that you try to publicly humiliate me based on a post that peaked after a long period of belittleling in previous posts.
Nah, that thread is a perfect example of your usual posting habits. You attack everyone you disagree with, and when people point it out, you cry harassment.

Do I need to pull out the whole "The notion of letting syrian refugees in" thread
Oh my god this is absolutely priceless. You're upset over an AR thread. A thread located in the Angry Ranting subforum.

I'll try to be polite and helpful, just for a moment: In case you weren't aware, this is where we go to throw insults at one another. If you don't like that, don't go there.

Skipping the fact completely that I'm not acting like a "entitled child"
No, sweetheart, the post you've just made illustrates it perfectly.

« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2016, 12:27:28 AM »
Just to use your own terminology, it's cute that you try to publicly humiliate me based on a post that peaked after a long period of belittleling in previous posts.
Nah, that thread is a perfect example of your usual posting habits. You attack everyone you disagree with, and when people point it out, you cry harassment.

Do I need to pull out the whole "The notion of letting syrian refugees in" thread
Oh my god this is absolutely priceless. You're upset over an AR thread. A thread located in the Angry Ranting subforum.

I'll try to be polite and helpful, just for a moment: In case you weren't aware, this is where we go to throw insults at one another. If you don't like that, don't go there.

Skipping the fact completely that I'm not acting like a "entitled child"
No, sweetheart, the post you've just made illustrates it perfectly.

You obviously didn't read all of it.

"Sweetheart". Heh. At least all of the above will stand as an example of future expectations for newcomers, if they make it this far in the thread.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2016, 12:31:19 AM »
Oh, no, I did read it. It's the most beautiful childish tantrum I've ever seen. "No, I'm not entitled, but even if I am, I have so many good reasons!" Absolutely spectacular.

Note that we're not "reaching out" to anyone. You're the one hunting for FE-related articles and commenting on them. You're the one barging into threads demanding that everyone treats you like some sort of special child. You're the one with a problem here, not us.

« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2016, 12:35:22 AM »
Oh, no, I did read it. It's the most beautiful childish tantrum I've ever seen. "No, I'm not entitled, but even if I am, I have so many good reasons!" Absolutely spectacular.

Note that we're not "reaching out" to anyone. You're the one hunting for FE-related articles and commenting on them. You're the one barging into threads demanding that everyone treats you like some sort of special child.

I see.

You're the one with a problem here, not us.

I'll let that one just... Stand on it's own.

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2016, 12:56:17 AM »
I was under the apparently mistaken impression that OP was:
How do we know the Earth is spherical?

I made a post http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=4499.msg88069#msg88069
where I stated that the earth we live on simply cannot be flat

What I am doing here is essentially repeating the earlier post, with a little different wording.

But, what about the crucial question? Let's look at the accepted dimensions of the earth.
From the TFES Wiki we have:
Quote from: Flat Earth Wiki
The figure of 24,900 miles is the diameter of the known world; the area which the light from the sun affects.
Presumably the distance from the north pole out to the equator can be taken as one quarter of this, 6,225 miles or 10,018 km.

I will use a rounded figure for the north pole to equator distance of 10,000 km, which is closer to the currently accepted value.

Then to get a figure for the equatorial circumference of the earth, we can look at the "definition" of the Nautical Mile:
A sea mile or nautical mile is, strictly, the length of a minute of arc measured along a meridian. It represents a minute of longitude only at the equator.
  Currently the Nm is defined as exactly 1,852 meters. 
So the circumference of the equator must be (1,852 m) x 60' x 360° = 40,003 km.

Again I will use a rounded figure for the equatorial circumference of 40,000 km.

But, on any flat earth map I have seen the equatorial circle circumference is simply the
circumference of a circle of radius 10,000 km, or 62,830 km.

I do not see any possible way of reconciling the quite accepted equatorial circumference of 40,000 km of the earth
with the flat earth equatorial circle circumference of 62,830 km.

What are your thoughts? Are my distances wrong?

It seems strange to me that so many flat earth supporters send post after post quibble about tiny problems they see in a satellite photo, or some feature of the globe, yet are simply quite unwilling to tackle (what to me are) glaring holes in their own model.
Part of this must be that so many of flat earth supporters simply do not understand the implications of what they claim to support.

Sounds like an accurate summation of this thread.

Your example is a great example on how the flat Earth model is flat wrong (pun intended ;-) )