ashenlight

Re: How could a compass work?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 08:53:27 AM »
In that first sentence in the intro it talks about the magnetic field being generated in the fluid outer core by self-exciting dynamo.

Where exactly is the core of a flat Earth?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 08:55:55 AM by ashenlight »

totallackey

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 11:00:12 AM »
Actually, the compass aligns with a single pole.

The only difference being that following the direction of the magnetic flux in the south direction would lead you to a point where all the field lines converge once again at the south pole. That would not be the case for the FE where there is no south pole as such. Just a south 'circumference' which really makes no sense at all.

The magnetic field pattern that we get with the Earths magnetic field is that of a bar magnet. You couldn't get that with this torriodal magnet idea which somerled is on about. The RE explanation about the geomagnetic field is based on real theory which can be demonstrated to be true to science. FE seems to be struggling in the magnetic field aspect.
How do you know there is a magnetic south pole?

ashenlight

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 03:52:37 PM »
Well the fact that auroral activity is seen both in the northern (Borealis) and southern (Australis) hemispheres is one clue. There are oval shaped regions in each hemisphere which are near to but offset from each pole. These regions represent those areas where auroral activity is most common. The centres of these ovals would approximately coincide with what could be regarded as the north and south magnetic poles.

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/auroral-activity/auroral-oval

Offline somerled

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 05:02:31 PM »
The polar aurorae are not symmetrical as thought , apparently most intense before dawn in the north but at dusk in the south . Iffy for the bar magnet field scenario.

https://mentalfloss.com/article/93830/5-facts-about-aurora-australis-southern-lights

Intriguing . Local sun moving around the flat plane ?

ashenlight

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 05:51:40 PM »
Well thanks for the link but I think I will keep my aurora monitoring to spaceweather.com.  It has always worked for me and doesn't fill my screen with needless adverts.  Just done a page search for the word 'flat' on that link and it came up with zero. So what makes you think anything on that page relates to a flat plane in any way?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 05:54:25 PM by ashenlight »

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 07:25:47 PM »
Intriguing . Local sun moving around the flat plane ?

No, solar winds hitting the poles at different angles.

ashenlight

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2019, 07:43:32 PM »
What do you mean by 'local Sun'?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:29:37 PM by ashenlight »