Why Does Water Look Flat?
« on: July 11, 2019, 01:00:46 AM »
Many supporters of the flat earth believe that if the Earth is spherical, then water should flow to the low ground.

I am here today to inform you all, as to why this notion is incorrect, and the logic is flawed:

The Earth is spherical -- while it may not be a perfect sphere, it is still round -- yet water is flat, and does not fall to the bottom of the globe. Why is that? Well, to explain why this is, I must introduce to you all the concept of space-time. Space-time does not have a similar metric to that of Newtonian physics, whereas time can be measured in meters, for example, since space and time are combined ceremoniously into a single metric. Unlike the common viewing of space and time -- Newtonian space-time -- where space and time are two completely different metrics.
      Space-time is what makes up our reality, our perception of time and space. It twists and contorts, and has no describable shape to it as it is four dimensional -- meaning it's existence consists of infinite 3-dimensional spaces, just like our three dimensional world consists of an infinite number of 2-dimensional planes. The only known way for space-time to be altered is with mass, where the point of most curvature in space-time will be around an object's center of mass. The more massive an object is, the greater the curvature the space-time around the object's center of gravity will be, hence the greater gravitational influence that object will have on others around it. Simply put: the more massive an object is, the more the space-time around it will contort.
      What does this have to do with the water on a round globe? Well, all matter follows the flow of space-time. Meaning that, objects with smaller mass will be attracted to objects with larger mass. Earth is made up of numerous objects, and is not a single piece of matter floating in the void of space. Earth is the grouping of those numerous objects, meaning that Earth's center of gravity will be at the center of the Earth -- give or take considering rise/fall in elevations -- . That is why water and all other objects 'fall' to the ground, and appear to be flat, since matter will always flow to the point of greatest curvature in space-time, which is the Earth's center of gravity in this case.

Have any questions, or things I can be clearer on? I'd be happy to answer them as best I can! :)

Re: Why Does Water Look Flat?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 04:01:22 PM »
Yes, but as Flat Earthers arbitrarily removed gravity and space/time warping from their universe laws, so your assumption that water is attracted to the center of a mass, will not work.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 12:38:51 AM »
They use the example of water on a sphere flying off
That is because the sphere's gravity force (it has some) is much smaller the centrifugal force.
So it flies off and the Earths gravity attracts it.

We can make anti-gravity force and make water adhere to the sphere.
Put some inside the sphere and spin.
Now the force of the sphere's surface is greater than the centrifugal force so it 'sticks' to the sphere.

If it were density related it would still fall to the bottom since it is denser than the air in the sphere.
It doesn't

Any acceleration feels like gravity, an elevator is a good example.
They accel up at ~1/2 g so you feel 'heavier',ie, the force of gravity is added to. Going down and accel has the opposite effect, lighter. Going down and decel heavier.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 01:01:58 AM by Snoopy »
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 03:00:29 PM »
A basic calculation will show why.
Assume horizon is ~5 miles away standing on the shore.
Field of view ~ 115 degree or ~ 16 miles. This is an arc length assuming a globe of r = 4000 mi.

Angle=16/(2 Pi 4000) x 360 = 0.22918312 deg

Calculate the chord (flat line) between the arc's end points.
c = 2 x r x sin(ang/2) = 15.99998933 miles flat/line
vs 16 arc
or 0.00006667% difference

The human eye can't resolve/discern this difference. Ever see a picture hung crooked? Lol
Hence it looks flat or level.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 04:32:08 AM »
Centrifugal force cannot be the reason that water sticks to the surface of the Earth, as the Earth is a sphere. Centrifugal Force is a two-dimensional vector. For your theory to be correct, the Earth would have to be rotating in every single direction at exactly the same time, in perfect unison. Otherwise, there would be no water at the geographical north and south poles. I did not say that the Earth's gravity was caused by density, I said it was the product of mass. Since the Earth's center of mass is at it's center, the Earth is a sphere, and all matter tends to follow the curvature of space-time, the Earth's gravity points toward it's center, and everything falls downward relative to us.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 01:03:12 AM »
Centrifugal force cannot be the reason that water sticks to the surface of the Earth, as the Earth is a sphere. Centrifugal Force is a two-dimensional vector. For your theory to be correct, the Earth would have to be rotating in every single direction at exactly the same time, in perfect unison. Otherwise, there would be no water at the geographical north and south poles. I did not say that the Earth's gravity was caused by density, I said it was the product of mass. Since the Earth's center of mass is at it's center, the Earth is a sphere, and all matter tends to follow the curvature of space-time, the Earth's gravity points toward it's center, and everything falls downward relative to us.

It is an example of cent force overcoming gravity.
Again you are stating the obvious
btw since the earth 'wobbles' on its axis cent force is 3 dimensional excluding time
The vector will transcribe a sphere

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 07:23:28 AM »
How is water produced on earth?This is the first question that man seeks.With water on the earth, how to do nothing else?This is the second in a series of problems with water on earth.Starting from people's already known knowledge, logically you can give a more reasonable answer, but not necessarily correct, related research is still in the process of further exploration.A: the earth is not very massive, but its gravity is strong enough to hold the air firmly in its atmosphere.There are three forms of water: solid water (ice, snow), liquid water, and gaseous water vapor.Given that water vapor weighs as much as air of different thicknesses, the earth's gravitational pull can hold onto the thin atmosphere and hold onto water vapor, not to mention clouds and liquid and solid water.So the earth's water will not be expelled from the earth.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 08:27:04 PM »
Because when your on the earth it is flat relative to you for some distance before the curvature starts, you can observe this on any sphere such as a ball or even just a round part of an item

Offline Dumbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 01:01:30 PM »
[/color][/font]Yes , why does water appear to be flat ? This is of particular interest when one is at the perspective over a great expanse of water , such as viewing a large placid lake surrounded by hills or mountains , particularly as viewed from such a mountain , or looking out over an ocean from any or varying heights . It seems that as many problematic questions that arise from scrutiny of either the RE construct or the FE  , there are an equal amount of observations supporting the construct. The “ why does water appear flat “ querie
is no exception , but that is only on the surface .
     A flat body of water appears to be like a mirror when still . It only marginally contorts reflection here and there due to the “surface” being fluid , though still , but to me , expounding on that question ...how does light play off that surface the same as it would off a flat reflective surface is the question . Picture a large chromed ball bearing or pinball and how light reflects off of it and now picture yourself as a microcosm on it’s surface . Would light or sunlight play off that surface as if it were flat ? Now picture yourself leaving that surface in a
Microcosm size rocket , how far above the pinball would you need to go before light played off of it as though you were looking into a fisheye lens ( as all chromed balls appear to the naked eye ) ? signed Dumbo

Offline Dumbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 01:15:16 PM »
Because when your on the earth it is flat relative to you for some distance before the curvature starts, you can observe this on any sphere such as a ball or even just a round part of an item

Offline Dumbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 01:51:09 PM »
Yes , gravity is a universal property (law) and can be measured , compensated for in engineering , but has yet to be defined . To Newton an apple dropping from a tree , to Einstein a mass warping space/time in the midst of dark matter. Only our creator has the overview of space/time. Why try to discredit simple observations in our world , space , and time ?
Yes, but as Flat Earthers arbitrarily removed gravity and space/time warping from their universe laws, so your assumption that water is attracted to the center of a mass, will not work.