Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8.1 update
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 01:40:04 PM »
The ONLY thing that messes up OS booting is the UEFI if it doesn't have your OS's digital signature and you have secure boot enabled.

Not necessarily.
Well ok.  A few settings like ATA vs AHCI can stop the OS from booting.  But that alters the HDD interface.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 05:31:13 PM »
I bought a new laptop yesterday, and decided to give Windows 8.1 a try (the machine came with Windows 8). I did not encounter Thork's problem, but fuck, that was the most ridiculous upgrade procedure I've seen in my life.

First of all, the upgrade file is 3.6GB. Just... what. Seriously, what. If the upgrade fails for whatever reason (not like it'll tell you the reason anyway), the temp files are deleted. Super helpful, thanks Windows.

Oh, and it failed 3 times. Because why not?

Anyway, eventually it didn't fail, or rather it failed less massively. It then proceeded to show me unmoving progress bars with helpful descriptions of what's currently going on. Examples include:
  • Preparing upgrade
  • Making changes
  • Getting info
  • Finishing up a few things
  • Taking care of a few things

Oh, and the successful upgrade itself took 2 hours and a half, not including download times.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Thork

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 06:18:18 PM »
I currently have an iPhone 4. Its getting a bit long in the tooth. Work is getting a new Lumia 625 this weekend. I think I could engineer it so it becomes mine. But Windows phone? Scary.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 08:52:51 PM »
I bought a new laptop yesterday, and decided to give Windows 8.1 a try (the machine came with Windows 8). I did not encounter Thork's problem, but fuck, that was the most ridiculous upgrade procedure I've seen in my life.

First of all, the upgrade file is 3.6GB. Just... what. Seriously, what. If the upgrade fails for whatever reason (not like it'll tell you the reason anyway), the temp files are deleted. Super helpful, thanks Windows.

Anyway, eventually it didn't fail, or rather it failed less massively. It then proceeded to show me unmoving progress bars with helpful descriptions of what's currently going on. Examples include:
  • Preparing upgrade
  • Making changes
  • Getting info

Oh, and the successful upgrade itself took 2 hours and a half, not including download times.

Took my Surface Pro ten minutes to upgrade. Your laptop is double plus retarded.

Thork

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 09:03:30 PM »

• Preparing upgrade
  • Making changes
  • Getting info

Took my Surface Pro ten minutes to upgrade. Your laptop is double plus retarded.
I upgraded a surface pro at work last week. It took a staggering 19 hours. We have superfast broadband but it made no difference. the windows store seemed to be throttling it down to virtually nothing.

I am sceptical about your 10 minute claim on a surface pro.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 09:14:10 PM »
I bought a new laptop yesterday, and decided to give Windows 8.1 a try (the machine came with Windows  8) . I did not encounter Thork's problem, but fuck, that was the most ridiculous upgrade procedure I've seen in my life.

• Preparing upgrade
  • Making changes
  • Getting info

I upgraded a surface pro at work last week. It took a staggering 19 hours. We have superfast broadband but it made no difference. the windows store seemed to be throttling it down to virtually nothing.

I did it on a surface RT at work in about the same time.

Of course, it took a while for me to be able to actually log in.  So I think the microsoft store server sucks.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 09:15:02 PM »

Read PP's post again you dolt, I'm not talking about download speeds.

Thork

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 09:29:10 PM »

Read PP's post again you dolt, I'm not talking about download speeds.
the surface took about 2 hours after the download was complete. I'm still doubtful of your claims. That surface had next to nothing on it. Its just used for testing in house apps.

By the way, you bought a Surface Pro? Its the most heinous piece of crap we have in the office. It absolutely horrible.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 09:52:27 PM »
Horrible at what, exactly? It does precisely what I need from a mobile computer.

Thork

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 09:58:25 PM »
Its so hideous to use. Its neither a laptop nor a tablet. Its the bastardised child of both. So many of its features are incredibly dumb.

everything is too small to touch with your finger so you end up trying to use the mousepad, which is also shit, so you have to plug a mouse in.

And then there is the tablet style keyboard. Designed by a complete idiot.

Tablets are designed to be held in one hand and used in the other. Putting a split keyboard on it is an act of madness. Your free hand is dotting all over the place.

Then there is its weight. I think it has a depleted uranium battery.

Couple that with windows 8's awesome concept of making everything at least 5 clicks away and you have the electronic equivalent of tramps vomit.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2014, 10:01:47 PM »
Its so hideous to use. Its neither a laptop nor a tablet. Its the bastardised child of both. So many of its features are incredibly dumb.

Vague nonsense, personally insulting an inanimate object instead of relaying an actual negative aspect.

everything is too small to touch with your finger so you end up trying to use the mousepad, which is also shit, so you have to plug a mouse in.

Not a problem, I don't have fat fingers.

Never had issue with it.

Tablets are designed to be held in one hand and used in the other. Putting a split keyboard on it is an act of madness. Your free hand is dotting all over the place.

If you wanted a tablet maybe you should have bought an iPad. It fits your "I have no idea what I'm doing" personality more.

Maybe go to the gym once a decade or something.

Couple that with windows 8's awesome concept of making everything at least 5 clicks away and you have the electronic equivalent of tramps vomit.

I'm not a big fan of windows 8, but I honestly don't think Windows 7 would work better with a touchscreen interface.

Thork

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014, 10:20:28 PM »

Vague nonsense, personally insulting an inanimate object instead of relaying an actual negative aspect.
The point is it fails at both. Its too heavy and badly designed to use as a tablet. It doesn't portrait and windows itself doesn't work as a touch screen interface. Its awful as a laptop. The keypad gives no feedback because its flat, the screen is tiny and its not very powerful compared with proper laptops.

Not a problem, I don't have fat fingers.
Unless your fingers are the width of a stylus you are going to struggle to pick a document from a folder out of a 1920x1080 10 inch display.

Never had issue with it.
Its likely you don't use it. I'll bet you put the surface on a desk like a laptop and use it like that. Why? Because its not designed to be held in your hand. Ergo, its crap.

If you wanted a tablet maybe you should have bought an iPad. It fits your "I have no idea what I'm doing" personality more.
I have an iPad. On the subject of knowing what I am doing, you know that I write professional apps for both?

Maybe go to the gym once a decade or something.
You should post a picture of your massive guns. Its pretty easy to be Arnie from behind your keyboard.

I'm not a big fan of windows 8, but I honestly don't think Windows 7 would work better with a touchscreen interface.
Neither works. My point is that Microsoft have got it massively wrong and ended up with a dreadful machine. Actually you have ended up with a dreadful machine. They have ended up with 1000 of your dollars. You idiot.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:25:17 PM by Thork »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2014, 10:26:57 PM »
The point is it fails at both. Its too heavy and badly designed to use as a tablet. It doesn't portrait and windows itself doesn't work as a touch screen interface. Its awful as a laptop. The keypad gives no feedback because its flat, the screen is tiny and its not very powerful compared with proper laptops.

Seriously? You really, truly think its too heavy? That's just sad.

Unless your fingers are the width of a stylus you are going to struggle to pick a document from a folder out of a 1920x1080 10 inch display.

Uhh, no. I think you're fat.

Its likely you don't use it. I'll bet you put the surface on a desk like a laptop and use it like that. Why? Because its not designed to be held in your hand. Ergo, its crap.

It's completely balanced on both sides. You could hold it anywhere and it won't be lopsided. I.e. it is designed to be held in one arm quite easily.

I have an iPad. On the subject of knowing what I am doing, you know that I write professional apps for both?

You do all sorts of things, Thork, and you're not particularly good at any of them.

You should post a picture of your massive guns. Its pretty easy to be Arnie from behind your keyboard.

It's not heavy, Thork, you're just weak. Get over it.

Neither works. My point is that Microsoft have got it massively wrong and ended up with a dreadful machine. Actually you have ended up with a dreadful machine. They have ended up with $1000 of your dollars. You idiot.

I paid $800 for both the tablet and keyboard combo off E-bay. Sounds like you suffer from a bad case of stupid.

Thork

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2014, 10:49:30 PM »

Seriously? You really, truly think its too heavy? That's just sad.
An iPad Air is 463g. A surface pro is 903g. It feels like a tablet from 2002.

Uhh, no. I think you're fat.
I'm 5' 10" and 11 stone.  ::)
How about you, porkchop?

It's completely balanced on both sides. You could hold it anywhere and it won't be lopsided. I.e. it is designed to be held in one arm quite easily.
In one arm? What, like a baby? So you just agreed that its too heavy to hold and comfortably read etc in one hand for any length of time. Nice contradiction.

You do all sorts of things, Thork, and you're not particularly good at any of them.
God loves a trier.

It's not heavy, Thork, you're just weak. Get over it.
I don't need to cradle my iPad in my arm. Do you use your wanking arm?

Neither works. My point is that Microsoft have got it massively wrong and ended up with a dreadful machine. Actually you have ended up with a dreadful machine. They have ended up with $1000 of your dollars. You idiot.

I paid $800 for both the tablet and keyboard combo off E-bay. Sounds like you suffer from a bad case of stupid.
I don't pay for any of my tablets or phones. Work does. My iPad cost me nothing. I could take home the google nexus, surface pro, Samsung galaxy or iPad mini. But I took the iPad as my day to day tablet because its the best of the lot. There is an endorsement. I can have any of those for free, and I took home the iPad. In fact the others just sit in the office mosly unused because all the developers at work opted for either iPads or Google Nexus machines.

You paid $800 for the surface Pro? The iPad Air 128gb version is $799. Its half the weight. Has a 2048x1536 pixel screen. Takes 5MP photos. Records at 1080dp. Works in any orientation. Has 10 hours of battery time. Works on cellular as well as wifi. Has a store of 750,000 apps. And it looks nice!

The Surface Pro has a pathetic 5 hours of battery. 720 video, 720 cameras. The screen is long and skinny.  Its dreadful.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:53:58 PM by Thork »

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2014, 11:10:21 PM »
Yeah, if only the iPad didn't run on a smartphone OS, it might actually be decent!

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 11:10:40 PM »

Oh, so you do use an iPad? Good to know you really are this stupid.

How about you, porkchop?

Oh, so you're not fat, you're short, tiny, and weak.

In one arm? What, like a baby? So you just agreed that its too heavy to hold and comfortably read etc in one hand for any length of time. Nice contradiction.

As the first person in the argument to resort to semantics, you must be losing, no?

Semantics again. And no, I don't use my wanking arm.

I don't pay for any of my tablets or phones. Work does. My iPad cost me nothing. I could take home the google nexus, surface pro, Samsung galaxy or iPad mini. But I took the iPad as my day to day tablet because its the best of the lot. There is an endorsement. I can have any of those for free, and I took home the iPad. In fact the others just sit in the office mosly unused because all the developers at work opted for either iPads or Google Nexus machines.

You paid $800 for the surface Pro? The iPad Air 128gb version is $799. Its half the weight. Has a 2048x1536 pixel screen. Takes 5MP photos. Records at 1080dp. Works in any orientation. Has 10 hours of battery time. Works on cellular as well as wifi. Has a store of 750,000 apps. And it looks nice!

The Surface Pro has a pathetic 5 hours of battery. 720 video, 720 cameras. The screen is long and skinny.  Its dreadful.

The iPad is also... surprise... a fucking tablet. I needed a computer, because my job is actually important and requires a processor that is a bit more powerful than a glorified cell phone. Why are you comparing tablets to the Surface Pro, anyway? The Surface Pro is an ultrabook, not a tablet.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 11:12:43 PM »
I'm inclined to agree with Thork here, the Surface Pro sounds exactly like a Microsoft product. Perhaps Rushy is suffering from choice-supportive bias. :P

Granted, I don't know enough to say much of substance in this discussion, so perhaps the Surface's duality as a tablet and a laptop is enough to justify it. Buuuut it does not sound very good.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Thork

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 11:15:19 PM »

Oh, so you do use an iPad? Good to know you really are this stupid.

How about you, porkchop?

Oh, so you're not fat, you're short, tiny, and weak.

As the first person in the argument to resort to semantics, you must be losing, no?

Semantics again. And no, I don't use my wanking arm.
Not a single rebuttal. I guess this is almost done and dusted.

The iPad is also... surprise... a fucking tablet. I needed a computer
Then you should have bought one. ::)

Yeah, if only the iPad didn't run on a smartphone OS, it might actually be decent!
Care to explain why this is a problem?

I'm inclined to agree with Thork here, the Surface Pro sounds exactly like a Microsoft product. Perhaps Rushy is suffering from choice-supportive bias. :P

Granted, I don't know enough to say much of substance in this discussion, so perhaps the Surface's duality as a tablet and a laptop is enough to justify it. Buuuut it does not sound very good.
Its not very good. Please don't buy one. You'll end up bitter and butthurt like irushwithscvs.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 11:17:50 PM »
If I could get one of the two for free, I'd definitely go for the Surface Pro. My 200 euro smartphone does everything an iPad does and more, just on a smaller screen. The Surface Pro at least comes with Windows, so I can do Windows things in it.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 11:22:03 PM »
Not a single rebuttal. I guess this is almost done and dusted.

You were making an argument to rebut? I didn't see one. I just saw bawwing that it's too heavy for you. Come back when you make a real reason to have a shitty tablet versus a portable ultrabook with a detachable keyboard.