"Flat earthers"?
« on: December 14, 2017, 09:57:36 AM »
Hi there!

I've got a quick question - if you believe in/subscribe to FET, what do you prefer to be called, generally speaking? I see plenty of sources using the term 'flat earthers' but is this how most of you would describe yourselves or do you use a different term?

Just wanting to make sure I don't put my foot in it. You never know...

Thanks in advance!
London-based photographer.

Re: "Flat earthers"?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 01:39:36 PM »
I think this is a great opportunity to tidy up the names.

"Flat Earth" is quite vague - it could be flat and square, for example.

Similarly, "Round Earth" can also be Flat Earth, if the Earth is a disc.

I appreciate the difficulty describing a flat map of the earth which agrees with cosmological, navigational and astronomical evidence, but in the absence of such a map the best the "Ballies" have to work with is the "Flatties'" own logo.

"Globers" and "Discers"? C'mon guys, you can think of something funnier than that :)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 05:24:24 PM »
I've got a quick question - if you believe in/subscribe to FET, what do you prefer to be called, generally speaking? I see plenty of sources using the term 'flat earthers' but is this how most of you would describe yourselves or do you use a different term?

Just wanting to make sure I don't put my foot in it. You never know...
Flat Earthers (or FE'ers for short) is the most commonly-used term. I know one person who insists on calling himself a "flatist" instead, but I haven't heard that term in any wider use.

No, this is a horrible, horrible idea. Everyone knows what is meant by a flat Earth and a round Earth. There will always be a few people trying to be smart-asses about it. Those will never be appeased, and changing an established consensus in attempts to do so would be a waste of everyone's time.

https://xkcd.com/1318/
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 04:19:18 AM »

I appreciate the difficulty describing a flat map of the earth which agrees with cosmological, navigational and astronomical evidence, but in the absence of such a map the best the "Ballies" have to work with is the "Flatties'" own logo.

"Globers" and "Discers"? C'mon guys, you can think of something funnier than that :)
Some other alternatives:

Round Earthers: Spherists.

Flat Earthers: Okay Diskers if they believe in a disk earth, but Plainers if they believe in an infinite earth, and Domers if they believe in a domed earth.