Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #2180 on: August 30, 2017, 02:40:01 AM »
Good thing the crowd in Texas was so huge.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: August 30, 2017, 05:17:00 AM »
I give him a 5/10

He said some good things but basically boasted how big and amazing recovery is.  How it'll be the best ever.  Most expensive.  Bla bla bla.

Typically Trump.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: August 30, 2017, 05:37:14 AM »
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-tower-moscow-russia-presidential-campaign-felix-sater-emails-brooklyn-vladimir-putin-a7916006.html

I don't know if Trump is just flat out lying or doesn't know what his company was doing.

Also, totally missed this:

His first re election camapign ad.

And one more thing...

After saying how much fixing Houston is gonna cost, he is (literally the next day) going around saying how much we need to cut taxes across the board in support of a tax bill that he has no real details on except "Everyone gets lower taxes" and "Simplify the code".  The details are for congress, apparently.

But my point being:
HOW ARE YOU GONNA PAY TO FIX HOUSTON WHEN YOU WANNA LOWER TAXES?!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:07:43 PM by Lord Dave »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: August 30, 2017, 10:08:13 PM »
HOW ARE YOU GONNA PAY TO FIX HOUSTON WHEN YOU WANNA LOWER TAXES?!
By closing loopholes and ensuring that people actually pay their taxes, hopefully. At least that was the idea pre-Trump.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: August 31, 2017, 10:17:00 PM »
http://www.avclub.com/furious-incorrect-trump-supporters-think-obama-was-pre-1798679764

Have I mentioned how fucking stupid Trump's supporters are? It really can't be overstated.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: September 01, 2017, 05:01:58 AM »
http://www.avclub.com/furious-incorrect-trump-supporters-think-obama-was-pre-1798679764

Have I mentioned how fucking stupid Trump's supporters are? It really can't be overstated.

When you hate someone, it doesn't matter if they should be blamed or not, just that they are.

Also, ironic they'd attack Obama with golfing while praising the golf course president.

Also, good job Trump, if you follow through.
http://www.npr.org/2017/08/31/547658004/trump-promises-1-million-of-personal-funds-to-aid-harvey-victims

Though odd that they'd ask the fake news for research....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:13:50 AM by Lord Dave »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: September 03, 2017, 12:05:06 PM »
In positive Trump News:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-trump-visits-harvey-victims-20170902-story.html

This is presidential.  Maybe if we cause a natural disaster every month, we can keep this Trump?

Flip side, NK keeps getting better with bombs.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/03/523913820/north-korea-possibly-conducts-sixth-nuclear-test-south-korea-says

« Reply #2187 on: September 05, 2017, 09:55:52 PM »
deportation and strict immigration controls are fucking expensive.

integrating immigrants is also fucking expensive.

hey maybe let's do the one that isn't just throwing money away.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: September 06, 2017, 12:08:06 PM »
Which one is that, in your view?

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: September 06, 2017, 03:19:29 PM »

The one experts aren't saying is going to cost the US 150 to 400 billion dollars in the long run (rescinding DACA), I would imagine.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: September 06, 2017, 03:49:55 PM »
The one experts aren't saying is going to cost the US 150 to 400 billion dollars in the long run (rescinding DACA), I would imagine.
To be clear, I'm quite strongly pro-immigration and I don't support rescinding DACA. I'm just curious about Gary's perspective, since he presented both options as "fucking expensive".

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: September 06, 2017, 04:55:45 PM »

In "the long run" those illegal peoples and their offspring will generate infinity in taxes. Why not just estimate that it will cost the US infinity? This line of argument is also assuming that these jobs would not otherwise exist to generate taxes for the US if these illegal people were not here to take them. Some "experts" these are.

DACA was never a law, or even an executive order. It was a memo to the DHS requesting them to stop enforcing the law for certain people. Why should we continue to enforce Obama's illegal law?

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: September 06, 2017, 04:58:58 PM »

In "the long run" those illegal peoples and their offspring will generate infinity in taxes. Why not just estimate that it will cost the US infinity?

This is an excellent point. The further out we project, the more money we lose.  Seems like an argument in favor of keeping DACA to me.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: September 06, 2017, 05:05:33 PM »
This is an excellent point. The further out we project, the more money we lose.  Seems like an argument in favor of keeping DACA to me.

As mentioned, you are assuming that those jobs would not otherwise exist without them here. This is fallacious. In fact, this is a point against them. They are taking jobs which could otherwise go towards Americans.

Mexico has welcomed DACA kids back with open arms:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/sep/5/mexico-says-it-will-embrace-dreamers-open-arms/

But Mexico, in a statement released by the government, also said it would gladly take back the hundreds of thousands of its citizens currently living in the U.S. without permission.

“Mexico will receive Dreamers who return to our country with open arms,” the government said, adding it’s already begun making preparations. “In accordance with instructions from President Enrique Peña Nieto, the agencies of the federal government are strengthening their efforts to offer them the greatest support, take advantage of their talents and skills, and fully integrate them into our society and national economy.”

Mexico said it was creating a special job bank to help Dreamers find jobs back home, would offer scholarships for future study, and would help those returning to enroll in public benefits programs.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 05:12:02 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: September 06, 2017, 05:09:41 PM »
Another quote from that Washington Times article:

President Trump’s decision, announced by Attorney General Jeff Sessions, phases out the DACA program over the next couple of years, allowing those already approved to use the remainder of their two-year stays of deportation, but quickly halting new approvals.

The administration said it had little hope of successfully defending the program in court, so the phaseout was better than the alternative, which could have meant a court order immediately stopping DACA, or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.

Trump was being sued by several states about this illegal DACA law. This phaseout decision sounds like Trump is being thoughtful to me

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: September 06, 2017, 06:03:13 PM »
I actually think this is far from the worst thing Trump has done and those elements of the media who are calling it evil and such are engaging in the worst kind of hyperbole. Really I just hope Congress can resolve this so the Dreamers can be allowed to stay.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: September 06, 2017, 06:33:48 PM »
Holy fuck!
Hell has frozen over!

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/06/548935056/trump-sides-with-democrats-in-deal-on-storm-relief-and-fiscal-deadlines

Though the whole "fix it for only 3 months" is really for politics.  And hey, Conservatives are the ones who don't wanna raise the ceiling so 3 months vs 18 months should be good for them.  So maybe Trump is just being more Conservative than the Republicans?

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: September 06, 2017, 08:16:05 PM »

As mentioned, you are assuming that those jobs would not otherwise exist without them here. This is fallacious. In fact, this is a point against them. They are taking jobs which could otherwise go towards Americans.

It's cute that you assume these reports don't take such factors into account. The consensus seems to be that many more jobs are going to be opening over the next several years than Americans alone will be able to fill in the vocations the Dreamers are supposed to be pursuing. Unemployment rates are excellent now and employers are already having trouble finding qualified candidates for many positions. This article lays out the issue in detail:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/05/news/economy/daca-us-economy/index.htm

Also I kind of consider people who were raised and educated here Americans anyway. I see no reason they should be denied the same opportunities as "real" Americans. It's not their fault they're here and they shouldn't be forced to move to a land that's foreign to them.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:20:35 PM by Roundy »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: September 06, 2017, 09:06:07 PM »
And think of this: we paid to educate them, shouldn't we get our money's worth?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: September 06, 2017, 09:24:03 PM »

It's cute that you assume these reports don't take such factors into account. The consensus seems to be that many more jobs are going to be opening over the next several years than Americans alone will be able to fill in the vocations the Dreamers are supposed to be pursuing. Unemployment rates are excellent now and employers are already having trouble finding qualified candidates for many positions. This article lays out the issue in detail:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/05/news/economy/daca-us-economy/index.htm

If there are a lack of doctors then that the solution for us is to open more medical schools and make the process of becoming a doctor more accessible, or bring in legal immigrants as a last resort. Considering illegal immigrants for those positions as the only possibility is a bad argument.

Also I kind of consider people who were raised and educated here Americans anyway. I see no reason they should be denied the same opportunities as "real" Americans. It's not their fault they're here and they shouldn't be forced to move to a land that's foreign to them.

If a father sneaks into a baseball game and brings his kid along with him, who gets kicked out when they are found?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:29:00 PM by Tom Bishop »