Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Saturday Night Live (Rolling Stone's Top 50)
« on: February 08, 2014, 08:26:47 AM »
So, Rolling Stone just posted this list. I decided to go through it since I've never really watched SNL, but what I've seen of it is pretty terrible.

After going through this...it...definitely...is pretty terrible. There were a handful of sketches that were alright, and a couple that were funny, but most of these kind of suck a lot. I don't see why people found Chris Farley funny, either, as he occupies several spots on this list.

I mean, I know that modern SNL is lambasted for being pretty unfunny, but...am I crazy in not thinking old SNL was funny either? The only one who ever makes me laugh is Norm MacDonald (him in #45 made me laugh until they wore it thin), and they even manage to beat his funny bits until it's a fully-decomposed horse, and then keep going.

So I'm curious if there's anyone here that actually likes/liked the show. I want to hear opinions! Also, what do you think of the list if you do?
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday Night Live (Rolling Stone's Top 50)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 08:34:01 AM »
There's one of them there Saturday Night Live things with Frank Zappa on it. It has some good bits and some boring bits, but to be honest, it's some of the least interesting Zappa-related material I've seen, and one of the few things with him in it that I don't have much interest in watching a second time. My favourite parts are where he actually plays music, but even then, the selection of songs isn't very interesting and it doesn't take up much of the overall programme.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday Night Live (Rolling Stone's Top 50)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 09:02:45 AM »
I don't know, I love SNL and I love a lot of those sketches.  I can understand not finding some of the earlier stuff funny; it's from a different time, and often pretty dry even considering, but if you don't laugh at Celebrity Jeopardy, or Schweddy Balls, or Christopher Walken manically demanding more cowbell, I would question if you even have a sense of humor.  Also, some of these skits seemed to be picked for their topicality, rather than their humorousness (Eddie Murphy's overrated "White Like Me" bit sticks out), and I guess everybody's going to have their favorites that aren't included on lists like these (I love "Happy Fun Ball", but there are probably at least a dozen commercial parodies I would put ahead of the Mom Jeans one), and sometimes their picks are questionable, even banal, to the point of absurdity (Adam Sandler's Halloween costumes... seriously?).  I don't think it's a very good list overall, but it is of course Rolling Stone (which I believe Sadaam will be commenting on shortly), so... yeah.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)