NASA Live Stream
« on: April 23, 2018, 09:13:25 AM »
Now im really confused, i was strongly leaning towards flat earth theory but after seeing this live stream of earth now i dont know what to believe. A lot of points made a lot of sence on flat earth theory but this has made me question everything.

It cant be CGI its a stream, can it?

here is the video

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
Re: NASA Live Stream
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 12:28:39 PM »
A good exercise would be to start looking at everyday tech that relies on satellites and ask yourself how it would work on a flat Earth. Then ask yourself if all of the private companies that use space are in on the conspiracy. Make sure to include foreign entities. FEers are very good at making things about FEH SOUND good, but when you start really looking at things, it starts to fall apart.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 12:30:40 PM »
Follow the live stream as the ISS passes over areas covered by the various weather satellites, and see if the cloud cover on the live feed matches the stills taken from the weather satellites.

I've done this numerous times, and haven't found anything that gives me cause for doubt.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 04:04:27 PM »
In case of OP's particular stream, it's fake. Not in the usual "ooh, conspiracy" sense, but rather a simple matter-of-fact "this is not a live stream" sense.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37778973

Now, it would be very unfair from me to try to leap from that to saying that all live feeds from space must therefore be fake. However, it's an excellent illustrative device. You can look at "live streams" all you want without finding much reason to doubt them. They might be pre-recorded, or they might be procedurally generated. Acknowledging that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference is an important first step.

It may also be worth noting that the supposedly real live stream is much simpler in content, and of much lower quality:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/iss-hdev-payload
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:13:16 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 04:20:49 PM »
Here's the live stream you're looking for:

Unfortunately for flattards and their sham theory, the ISS live feed perfectly correlates with its position on the satellite tracker, the landscape seen down below, as well as cloud formations as seen from above and from below (can someone post that metabunk link here?). So yes, it's not that hard to "tell the difference" and there is no way this live feed could be faked. But nice try Pete.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 04:33:44 PM »
Here's the live stream you're looking for:
Yes, thank you, you have successfully identified the not-live-stream that's already linked in the OP, and which is accurately debunked in the BBC article. It is not the feed that you could on occasion correlate with a speck in the sky, which I also already provided.

Your brazen insistence really aids this illustration - you were so convinced and happy to defend anything that looks like a live stream that you accidentally defended the very one that's been debunked! This, precisely, is the problem with RE evangelists - they already "know" things, thus they don't feel the need to learn and evaluate.

So yes, it's not that hard to "tell the difference" and there is no way this live feed could be faked.
And yet you failed to tell the difference. Hmm...

I dunno, I can think of a few ways this could be faked. Perhaps I should stop thinking and just start blindly asserting that things are impossible. It seems to be going well for you.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:36:27 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 04:36:34 PM »
This, precisely, is the problem with RE evangelists - they already "know" things, thus they don't feel the need to learn and evaluate.
Hmm. I don't think RE have a monopoly on that.
Have you seen Tom's posts? Particularly the condescending tone he uses when he clearly doesn't understand what he's talking about.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 05:36:56 PM »
Yes, thank you, you have successfully identified the not-live-stream that's already linked in the OP, and which is accurately debunked in the BBC article. It is not the feed that you could on occasion correlate with a speck in the sky, which I also already provided.

Hmm, it seems that the BBC article is talking about the "live feed" that was posted on Facebook, not the one on Youtube. I didn't notice it was the same link that the OP posted, but I still don't see any indication of it not being actually live...

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 06:17:31 PM »
They might be pre-recorded, or they might be procedurally generated.

Pre-recorded wouldn't fit in with the real-time imagery from weather satellites, unless the operator possesses a crystal ball or time machine. 

What do you mean by "procedurally generated"?

Acknowledging that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference is an important first step.

Do you have a good reason why I or anyone else should acknowledge this? Claiming that the stream "could be" something which it is not is not really a good reason....

Nearly?

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 07:42:10 PM »
i dont think its fake, when i was watching it at one point you see the astronaut remount the camera and in the processes he turns it onto himself for a moment then turns it back to remount the camera. if its fake then its a brilliant fake at that.

Devils Advocate

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 08:43:58 PM »

which is accurately debunked in the BBC article.

Sorry Pete, can you please explain; the OP vid links to YouTube whilst your BBC link talks about the non live stream being broadcast on Facebook, how are you sure it's the same vid?

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 11:06:07 PM »
In case of OP's particular stream, it's fake. Not in the usual "ooh, conspiracy" sense, but rather a simple matter-of-fact "this is not a live stream" sense.

This does not mean it's fake, it just mean whoever is calling it live is lying about it being live. There IS a real live stream here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/iss-hdev-payload

[/quote]Now, it would be very unfair from me to try to leap from that to saying that all live feeds from space must therefore be fake. However, it's an excellent illustrative device. You can look at "live streams" all you want without finding much reason to doubt them. They might be pre-recorded, or they might be procedurally generated. Acknowledging that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference is an important first step. [/quote]

True, but, it can be easy to tell if something really is live or not. For instance: watch the (not actual) live stream for a long time and you'll never see the ISS go into the night. You'll see repeating video, etc. This shows it's not live. Other feeds, like the real live stream on Ustream, does not show any signs of it being pre-recorded or fake. The clouds in the video even match live photos and radar data. How can you know, if you do know, that the official NASA live stream is fake?

It may also be worth noting that the supposedly real live stream is much simpler in content, and of much lower quality:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/iss-hdev-payload

It's not that low of quality. 720p is pretty good.

It's also much simpler because it isn't hand-held by an astronaut, it's mounted onto the ISS.
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 08:04:43 AM »
It's not that low of quality. 720p is pretty good.
The resolution of the broadcast is not the only descriptor of quality. The image is heavily compressed and not particularly sharp.

It's also much simpler because it isn't hand-held by an astronaut, it's mounted onto the ISS.
Of course, that would be the official reasoning. However, a stream so simple could be more easily faked. This is why the distinction between officially fake and officially real live streams is key.

How can you know, if you do know, that the official NASA live stream is fake?
I do not claim to know one way or the other. I'm merely suggesting that it's not the irrefutable proof that newcomer RE'ers are looking for.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 09:05:32 AM »
a stream so simple could be more easily faked. This is why the distinction between officially fake and officially real live streams is key.

How would one make such a distinction?

How can you know, if you do know, that the official NASA live stream is fake?

I do not claim to know one way or the other. I'm merely suggesting that it's not the irrefutable proof that newcomer RE'ers are looking for.

So you're admitting at least the possibility that it is real?

Nearly?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 09:09:03 AM »
So you're admitting at least the possibility that it is real?
Why does this question keep coming up? Yes. It is possible that the stream is real. It is possible that the Earth is round.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 09:16:59 AM »
Why does this question keep coming up? Yes. It is possible that the stream is real. It is possible that the Earth is round.

Because it's quite rare to find a FEer not entrenched in their position, to the exclusion of all else.

Nearly?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 10:11:38 AM »
Because it's quite rare to find a FEer not entrenched in their position, to the exclusion of all else.
I really don't think it is, knowing a fair number of FE'ers who remain very open-minded. We've already discussed this. If you go out of your way to find loons, you'll be surrounded by loons. If you approached the subject differently, your results would also change.

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 12:42:14 PM »
The resolution of the broadcast is not the only descriptor of quality. The image is heavily compressed and not particularly sharp.

But patterns in the clouds, continent and land patterns, etc, are still easily discernible, so the quality is still good enough to be usable.

Of course, that would be the official reasoning. However, a stream so simple could be more easily faked. This is why the distinction between officially fake and officially real live streams is key.

How would it be faked then? Why does the difference between the two streams mean anything? They're both still real video, one is just not live.

Well you still have yet to refute it.
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 01:01:04 PM »
I really don't think it is, knowing a fair number of FE'ers who remain very open-minded. We've already discussed this. If you go out of your way to find loons, you'll be surrounded by loons. If you approached the subject differently, your results would also change.

On here no-one is going out of their way to find loons. J-Man and Tom are quite active members and are both loons, in different ways.
One is clearly off his meds, the other is astonishingly entrenched in his position and there's a huge gap between what he thinks he understands and what he really understands.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 02:11:33 PM »
J-Man and Tom
But that's the thing. Those who assert things about "most FE'ers" (and who don't immediately jump to the "just watch some youtube videos" defence) seem to only be able to produce 1 or 2 names to back their claims. I propose that your sample size is woefully inadequate.