Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1200 on: April 14, 2015, 08:29:07 PM »
The last season is terrible. Just terrible.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: April 15, 2015, 09:18:29 PM »
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: April 15, 2015, 11:20:51 PM »
2015: A Capeshit Odyssey continues!

The Incredible Hulk (Louis Leterrier)

Okay, so despite being told to skip this I actually kind of enjoyed the experience. It feels less like capeshit and more like a kind of comic book meets Toho kind of thing, as big dudes of curious pigmentation battle it out in the big city while onlookers scream and try to avoid the oncoming barrage of flying cars and rubble. The CGI looks cartoonish in a lot of places (esp. Tim Roth's superspeed legs and Gollum-esque "enhanced" body), but both the Hulk and the Abomination maintain just enough facial detail from their human forms to be somewhat believable, and the big fight scene at the end has satisfying weight and chunkiness. The action sequences work; the locations are well shot most of the time, especially Rocinha; the film even manages to contain a handful of genuine laughs as well as some so-bad-it's-good moments such as Hulk clapping out the flames on an exploding helicopter.

The performances range from good to questionable to me wondering why they bothered to give them lines half the time. The always good Ed Norton turns in a likeable, sympathetic lead, while Tim Roth seems out of place spewing American dialogue with a London accent (even though we already know he can do an American accent (see: Reservoir Dogs), so why did his character need to be English?), and Liv Tyler is quite nice to look at but almost nothing is done with her character and she spends most of the film whispering "Bruce" with a concerned look on her face (although when she does get a chance to actually act she's pretty good). It's really in the smaller characters that the best roles are found, and Tim Blake Nelson steals the show with his very animated and comic little performance as a scientist of questionable ethics and priorities.

I wouldn't put it up there at the top of the action genre, but I found it pretty entertaining and consistently so, the body horror overtones are nicely handled and add a little weight to what is essentially two masses of polygons slapping each other vigorously. So yeah, better than Iron Man for sure.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: April 16, 2015, 01:03:18 AM »
two masses of polygons slapping each other vigorously.
The Mastery.

« Reply #1204 on: April 16, 2015, 01:32:12 AM »
Better than iron man? That's interesting..

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: April 16, 2015, 03:32:49 AM »
Huh. Didn't expect that.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: April 16, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »
The World (Jia Zhangke)

Following a discussion between Blanko and myself concerning our general ignorance of mainland Chinese cinema, as opposed to that of Hong Kong or Taiwan, I decided to check out Jia Zhangke, whose work I had heard about through Mark Kermode. This film is a meandering, strangely compelling look at two people who work at a theme park in Beijing, one is a security guard while the other is a costumed performer. The park itself provides a great backdrop, full of scaled down replicas of famous landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower, London Bridge, the pyramids of Giza etc., and the at times documentarian look and feel of the film adds to its sense of authenticity. Despite this, Zhangke indulges in a little surrealism, including sudden transitions from live action to animation and some unusual sound mixing.

The narrative jumps around a lot and often I had a little difficulty recognising certain characters and why they were there, but this adds to the implied hustle and bustle of the location, you never know who will appear next. Like the park's monuments, this feels like an aspect of the big city recreated in miniature. The film is not heavy on plot, instead, as I said, taking an almost documentary approach and simply following the characters, allowing them to interact slowly and naturally. It might be a little bit too long overall, but I doubt I could think of anything to cut from the 140 minute runtime, every scene has a certain atmospheric necessity and removing some of them I'm sure something would seem amiss. Overall I like it a lot, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Jia Zhangke's work.

Huh. Didn't expect that.
Honestly I'm not sure what's supposed to be so bad about it. It's not a great film, but I don't understand why both you and Saddam suggested I skip it.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: April 16, 2015, 01:20:11 PM »
I don't know, I didn't find it very fun at all aside from some of the Hulk bits and Tim Blake Nelson. I remember the rest making me want to sleep.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 18, 2015, 12:52:53 AM »
Iron Man 2 (Jon Favreau)

I was not looking forward to returning to The Metal Guy Chronicles, and while it wasn't the endurance test I was expecting, I'd be hard pressed to say it was much better than Iron Man, although it is, ever so slightly, more entertaining. Tony Stark is as unlikeable as ever, but this time he is dying because he tried to put the New York Palladium in his chest - not a smart move, Tony - so he's kind of sympathetic, sort of, except he doesn't seem to be in any distress, he just has some varicose veins. Well, he was in his mid 40s when they made this, so it's understandable. Meanwhile, and stop me if you've heard this one before, Mickey Rourke is a physicist. Take some time and think that over, because he's actually a computer programmer, and a robotics expert, and a street fighter, or... He's basically this film's Ivan Drago, sporting ludicrous hair on various sections of his gnarled head and speaking in a passable - to my non-Eastern Bloc ears - Russian accent. He also has electric whips that can zap speeding race cars to shit from metres away but cannot electrify water for some reason. Rounding out the cast are Gwyneth Paltrow as Hard Businesswoman With a Soft Heart, Scarlett Johansson as Martial Arts Woman in Skin-Tight Bodysuit, Don Cheadle as African American Iron Man, and Sam Rockwell as Diet Tony Stark.

The CGI doesn't look as cartoonish as that of The Incredible Hulk, but it also has a certain flimsiness to it that makes the impacts in the big fight scenes seem kind of unimpressive, despite the apparent level of destruction occurring on screen. Apart from that there's really nothing off technically, and the film maintains its predecessor's saturated gloss and slick camera work. Overall, another well made but totally uninteresting movie about shit blowing up and "don't try this at home, kids!" science experiments such as creating a new element by putting pipes in a wall. Same old, same old.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1209 on: April 18, 2015, 02:31:41 AM »
Originally, there were plans for the movie to explore Tony's personal issues - most notably, his alcoholism - in a serious and mature manner, as the comics have sometimes done.  But then the meddling studio executives stepped in and said something along the lines of, "Oh no, we can't be realistically depicting alcoholism and its consequences in these movies!  We'd scare off the family audience, and we might even get saddled with an R rating!"  (This logic also came into play during the writing of Iron Man 3.)  So instead we just got to see Tony's hedonistic douchebaggery in all its unpleasant excess, which I'm sure was far more appropriate for younger viewers. ::)

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 18, 2015, 07:05:51 AM »
I like his hedonistic douchebaggery...
The Mastery.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: April 23, 2015, 04:08:06 AM »
I've been lazy with reviewing films recently, so once again I'll just recap a lot of them at once.

In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)

The theme of unrequited love was explored in Chungking Express, and is revisited here, this time in Hong Kong of 1960s. The handheld camerawork and low production values are replaced with more static shots, but in a lot of ways it displays Wong's maturity as a director – his control of space and framing is masterful, reminding me a lot of Edward Yang's Yi Yi in that aspect. A simple yet effectual drama, that much like Chungking Express, just works. 9/10

Guilty of Romance (Sion Sono, 2011)

Coming from being very impressed by Love Exposure, I found this one to be quite a disappointment. In many ways it's just as silly, but being framed in sort of a horror story it takes itself a lot more seriously, and as a consequence is a lot less self-aware and I feel it lacks the purpose in its absurdity that Love Exposure had. It's basically live-action anime, really. 6/10

Three Times (Hsiao-Hsien Hou, 2005)

Three short films set in three different time periods. Much like Edward Yang, another Taiwanese contemporary, Hou displays an affinity for engimatic and restrained narratives, but in the format of short films it feels like his stories don't have the time come out fully fleshed out. His directing style is impressive, however, with shots having a distinct style and control of space matching the time periods of each of the three stories. All in all, a little disappointing, but nonetheless promising first look into this director's work. 6/10

Still Life (Jia Zhangke, 2006)

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this one. I expected a romantic drama, but the narrative seems to only frame the almost documentarian look into the construction of Three Gorges Dam and the destruction it left in its wake. The visuals are fantastic: grand natural vistas are juxtaposed with urban decay in long panning shots. The narrative is incredibly low-key; I can understand what they were going for, but it feels restrained almost to a fault, and that's why I'm a little on the fence on this one. 7/10

Gummo (Harmony Korine, 1997)

A fascinating look into the lives of poor white Midwestern trash. It's essentially a collection of vignettes, accentuated by off-camera recordings of locals and VHS-quality footage. Brutally honest and coming across as almost hyperrealistic and surreal, it's constantly on the line of being insulting in its portrayal of poor America, but it's nonetheless very sincere. 9/10

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik, 2007)

An expertly made docu-drama, with the plot outline conveniently covered in its verbose title. It seems to suffer a fair bit from ”adaptation syndrome”, in that a lot of its narrative is accomplished through compromise; there are a lot of expositionary scenes that wouldn't be out of place in a book, but in a film format cause the pacing to feel a little erratic and make the running time a bit too long, and the narration seems to only serve to purpose of filling narrative gaps and feels often completely unnecessary. I don't want to fault the film too much for it, because there's a lot to love about it. It's expertly shot, the script is solid, and Casey Affleck provides an amazing performance as the titular young coward. With a little bit of restraint used in editing, this film could have perhaps been amazing, but as it is I'll only go as far as to call it great. 8/10

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: April 23, 2015, 02:20:38 PM »
Blanko wanted romantic drama. What an old lady.
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: April 23, 2015, 02:30:25 PM »
I think The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is a really underrated movie. Or at least, I hardly know anyone that's seen it, but I really enjoyed it.

I like Blanko's taste.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: April 23, 2015, 02:42:11 PM »
Blanko wanted romantic drama. What an old lady.

I'm sorry, I guess I should be a manchild and watch explosions all day :^)

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: April 23, 2015, 08:57:19 PM »
The Avengers: Age of Ultron
The perfect film. 10/10. Best movie in the history of cinema. No joke.

It's regrettable that I couldn't stick around for the post-credits scenes, because I desperately had to go take a piss.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1216 on: April 23, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »
There was no post-credits scene, only a mid-credits one.  Also, I don't understand why pretty much everywhere else is getting it before America does.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: April 23, 2015, 09:23:49 PM »
sadaam
The Mastery.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: April 23, 2015, 11:44:55 PM »
Holy Motors (Leos Carax, 2012)

This is a film that is either completely open to interpretation, or completely defying it. It centers around a man riding a limousine throughout Paris, attending "appointments" that have him act out different parts, the purpose of which remains a complete mystery. The film's captivating visuals and a thick dream-like atmosphere are punctuated by the narrative hinting at its nature, only barely giving you the slightest idea of what is really going on, only to throw you off completely, again and again - all while keeping you constantly interested with the implication of an eventual explanation, which never arrives. At the end of it I have no idea what to make of it, but 30 minutes after I'm still completely absorbed in the experience. I can only imagine that sensation of wonderment and confusion is what they were aiming for, and it's difficult to imagine a film that manages to accomplish it as expertly. 10/10

« Reply #1219 on: April 23, 2015, 11:51:37 PM »
There was no post-credits scene, only a mid-credits one.  Also, I don't understand why pretty much everywhere else is getting it before America does.

Because fuck you, that's why. I'm sick and tired of getting shit days and sometimes weeks after the US. Usually we get the Marvel films first so I'm happy that's still the case.

And yeah, I think AoU was on par or better than the original. It felt a bit convoluted, and suffered from being the middle setup movie (so no one could die due to sequel plans), but besides that it was arguably better than the original in every way. There was also probably a bit too much Whedon wise cracking going on, but I can't fault lots of humour so long as it's not extremely irritating.