Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (cast list released!)
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2014, 08:12:33 AM »
Hey guys, I have an idea. Why not wait until the film comes out and go see it and then criticise the movie they're actually making instead of the one you think they're making based on a 2-minute trailer?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2014, 08:20:52 AM »
I'm totally on board with that. Trailers often end up giving vastly different impressions of the final movie, and that's especially true with such an early pre-post-production trailer.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2014, 09:05:07 AM »
Hey guys, I have an idea. Why not wait until the film comes out and go see it and then criticise the movie they're actually making instead of the one you think they're making based on a 2-minute trailer?
No, no, you don't understand. It's all about this now.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2014, 05:08:59 PM »

This.

No, no, you don't understand. It's all about this now.

That is yuck.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »
No.

Internet + Nerd lore = tons of analyzing. Just embrace it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2014, 06:18:19 PM »
Star Trek universe could easily take the Star Wars universe in a battle. Fuck, even the Stargate universe would obliterate Star Wars with little to no effort at all.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2014, 06:24:02 PM »
Knock if off, Vauxy.  We already had that dumb troll discussion.

No.  The whole point of a trailer is to promote and raise awareness of a movie.  We are entirely within our rights to form first impressions of the movie and discuss what we think it will be like based on said trailer.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2014, 06:26:52 PM »
Shitty crossguard lightsaber jokes or GTFO m8
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2014, 11:39:07 PM »
Considering the amount of times that hands get chopped off in SW, a crossguard seems like an eminently sensible development. You wonder why more lightsabres don't have hand and wrist protection.

Eddy Baby

« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »
Yeah but considering how easy they get sewn back on who gives a fuck. Star Wars Episode VII: Deal With The Pain

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2014, 01:33:06 PM »
They don't get sewn back on. They get replaced with prostheses.
The Mastery.

Eddy Baby

« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2014, 01:35:35 PM »
Watch out mate this is the real world what if I come over there and cut your hand off and throw it in the sea nobody will be able to sew that back on

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2014, 01:38:27 PM »
Irrelevant.
The Mastery.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2014, 07:37:56 PM »
Considering the amount of times that hands get chopped off in SW, a crossguard seems like an eminently sensible development. You wonder why more lightsabres don't have hand and wrist protection.
Except this particular design won't do shit for you. If you're sliding your saber down that saber, you're not gonna hit the crossguard's functional surface. You're gonna hit the metal hilt, which is not very good at resisting lightsabers.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2014, 10:34:29 PM »
Except this particular design won't do shit for you. If you're sliding your saber down that saber, you're not gonna hit the crossguard's functional surface. You're gonna hit the metal hilt, which is not very good at resisting lightsabers.

Except that there are several materials which can withstand a blow from a lightsaber. Cortosis and Mandalorian iron are the two most well known. It's also possible that the two crossbeams originate from within the hilt, so even if the metal encasing them was pierced, the beam itself would still block the blow.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2014, 11:17:27 PM »

Except that there are several materials which can withstand a blow from a lightsaber. Cortosis and Mandalorian iron are the two most well known. It's also possible that the two crossbeams originate from within the hilt, so even if the metal encasing them was pierced, the beam itself would still block the blow.

Do these materials exist in the canonical universe of six movies and a TV show?  Really, I'm not stressing this point to be funny, or to wind up SW nerds or anything.  We can't be relying on the EU for background information anymore.  There's no C0DA here, no wheel-shaped universe.  All the video games and novels and whatnot are nothing more than fanfiction now.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2014, 11:21:31 PM »
Do these materials exist in the canonical universe of six movies and a TV show?

I don't know or care.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2014, 05:45:00 AM »
Is there an in-story/lore explanation as to why Star Wars droids looks so primitive?
The Mastery.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2014, 05:51:50 PM »
Primitive compared to what?

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2014, 06:02:50 PM »
Knock if off, Vauxy.  We already had that dumb troll discussion.

No.  The whole point of a trailer is to promote and raise awareness of a movie.  We are entirely within our rights to form first impressions of the movie and discuss what we think it will be like based on said trailer.

Based on the trailer, all I can see is that it will have familiar Star Wars things and a black dude in a desert who triggers a jump scare sting every time he appears on screen. Yep, I sure am informed about this here movie I haven't seen.