What is the shape of the Moon and its orbit ?
« on: May 17, 2016, 04:52:20 PM »
Hello all,
Being new to that flat Earth world, I tried to get information about the Moon. Some say it's a disc, others a dome. I've searched the wiki and the current forum.
What about its orbit ?
Thanks.

Re: What is the shape of the Moon and its orbit ?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 02:37:30 PM »
Science is observable. For what I can see, seeing it has perspective and a curve and that the light goes in many directions I figure it is spherical. If it was like a disc light would just go in the direction the face is emitting the light.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 08:16:42 AM »
Hello all,
Being new to that flat Earth world, I tried to get information about the Moon. Some say it's a disc, others a dome. I've searched the wiki and the current forum.
What about its orbit ?
Thanks.
You're not having much luck! Maybe the "experts" in Flat Earth Theory in TFES don't know.

When you have found out about the moon's shape and orbit see what you can find out about what causes the phases of the moon and lunar eclipses.

No-one seems to have any satisfactory explanations.

Quote from: the Wiki
The Phases of the Moon
When one observes the phases of the moon he sees the moon's day and night, a shadow from the sun illuminating half of the spherical moon at any one time.
The lunar phases vary cyclically according to the changing geometry of the Moon and Sun, which are constantly wobbling up and down and exchange altitudes as they rotate around the North Pole.
When the moon and sun are at the same altitude one half of the lunar surface is illuminated and pointing towards the sun, This is called the First Quarter Moon. When the observer looks up he will see a shadow cutting the moon in half. The boundary between the illuminated and unilluminated hemispheres is called the terminator.

When the moon is below the sun's altitude the moon is dark and a New Moon occurs.

When the moon is above the altitude of the sun the moon is fully lit and a Full Moon occurs.
When I try to picture the geometry it makes absolutely no sense. Then for lunar eclipses:
The Lunar Eclipse
A Lunar Eclipse occurs about twice a year when a satellite of the sun passes between the sun and moon.

This satellite is called the Shadow Object. Its orbital plane is tilted at an angle of about 5°10' to the sun's orbital plane, making eclipses possible only when the three bodies (Sun, Object, and Moon) are aligned and when the moon is crossing the sun's orbital plane (at a point called the node). Within a given year, considering the orbitals of these celestial bodies, a maximum of three lunar eclipses can occur. Despite the fact that there are more solar than lunar eclipses each year, over time many more lunar eclipses are seen at any single location on earth than solar eclipses. This occurs because a lunar eclipse can be seen from the entire half of the earth beneath the moon at that time, while a solar eclipse is visible only along a narrow path on the earth's surface.

Total lunar eclipses come in clusters. There can be two or three during a period of a year or a year and a half, followed by a lull of two or three years before another round begins. When you add partial eclipses there can be three in a calendar year and again, it's quite possible to have none at all.

The shadow object is never seen because it orbits close to the sun. As the sun's powerful vertical rays hit the atmosphere during the day they will scatter and blot out nearly every single star and celestial body in the sky. We are never given a glimpse of the celestial bodies which appear near the sun during the day - they are completely washed out by the sun's light.

It is estimated that the Shadow Object is around five to ten miles in diameter. Since it is somewhat close to the sun the manifestation of its penumbra upon the moon appears as a magnified projection. This is similar to how during a shadow puppet show your hand's shadow can make a large magnified projection upon your bedroom wall as you move it closer to the flashlight.
I am afraid I find that this makes less sense to me than the explanation of the phases.

Offline Round fact

• Science and math over opinion
    • View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 12:41:43 PM »
Hello all,
What about its orbit ?
Thanks.
You're not having much luck! Maybe the "experts" in Flat Earth Theory in TFES don't know.

When you have found out about the moon's shape and orbit see what you can find out about what causes the phases of the moon and lunar eclipses.

No-one seems to have any satisfactory explanations.

Quote from: the Wiki
The Phases of the Moon
When one observes the phases of the moon he sees the moon's day and night, a shadow from the sun illuminating half of the spherical moon at any one time.
The lunar phases vary cyclically according to the changing geometry of the Moon and Sun, which are constantly wobbling up and down and exchange altitudes as they rotate around the North Pole.
When the moon and sun are at the same altitude one half of the lunar surface is illuminated and pointing towards the sun, This is called the First Quarter Moon. When the observer looks up he will see a shadow cutting the moon in half. The boundary between the illuminated and unilluminated hemispheres is called the terminator.

When the moon is below the sun's altitude the moon is dark and a New Moon occurs.

When the moon is above the altitude of the sun the moon is fully lit and a Full Moon occurs.
When I try to picture the geometry it makes absolutely no sense. Then for lunar eclipses:
The Lunar Eclipse
A Lunar Eclipse occurs about twice a year when a satellite of the sun passes between the sun and moon.

This satellite is called the Shadow Object. Its orbital plane is tilted at an angle of about 5°10' to the sun's orbital plane, making eclipses possible only when the three bodies (Sun, Object, and Moon) are aligned and when the moon is crossing the sun's orbital plane (at a point called the node). Within a given year, considering the orbitals of these celestial bodies, a maximum of three lunar eclipses can occur. Despite the fact that there are more solar than lunar eclipses each year, over time many more lunar eclipses are seen at any single location on earth than solar eclipses. This occurs because a lunar eclipse can be seen from the entire half of the earth beneath the moon at that time, while a solar eclipse is visible only along a narrow path on the earth's surface.

Total lunar eclipses come in clusters. There can be two or three during a period of a year or a year and a half, followed by a lull of two or three years before another round begins. When you add partial eclipses there can be three in a calendar year and again, it's quite possible to have none at all.

The shadow object is never seen because it orbits close to the sun. As the sun's powerful vertical rays hit the atmosphere during the day they will scatter and blot out nearly every single star and celestial body in the sky. We are never given a glimpse of the celestial bodies which appear near the sun during the day - they are completely washed out by the sun's light.

It is estimated that the Shadow Object is around five to ten miles in diameter. Since it is somewhat close to the sun the manifestation of its penumbra upon the moon appears as a magnified projection. This is similar to how during a shadow puppet show your hand's shadow can make a large magnified projection upon your bedroom wall as you move it closer to the flashlight.
I am afraid I find that this makes less sense to me than the explanation of the phases.

Clusters of eclipse? This will come as a shock to both professional and amateur astronomers. There is a minimum of 2 each per year, but there can be as many as a total of 7.

And I agree with you about the lunar phases. The explanation is junk. As written it would mean the observed phase would be different at different locations on the same night.

And the explanation on eclipses begs another question; Why is the "Shadow Object" not illuminated by the sun?

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 01:25:46 PM »

Clusters of eclipse? This will come as a shock to both professional and amateur astronomers. There is a minimum of 2 each per year, but there can be as many as a total of 7.

And I agree with you about the lunar phases. The explanation is junk. As written it would mean the observed phase would be different at different locations on the same night.

And the explanation on eclipses begs another question; Why is the "Shadow Object" not illuminated by the sun?

I tried to get some answers in Why should anyone believe the earth is flat? « Reply #75 on: March 16, 2016, 11:08:14 PM ».

And how ANYONE can see a full moon in How does a Full Moon appear Full for everyone? « on: April 28, 2016, 08:40:55 AM »

And again in How does a Full Moon appear Full for everyone? « on: April 24, 2016, 01:29:43 AM »

The geometry I interpret from the Wiki for a lunar eclipse is:

Flat Earth Sun, Shadow Object and Lunar Eclipse
I cannot see any possibility of the "Shadow Object" causing ANY shadow on the moon.

The whole "Zetetic" approach seems to be "The earth looks flat so it must be", then guess everything else without a shred of evidence.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 05:16:22 AM by rabinoz »

Offline Round fact

• Science and math over opinion
    • View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 05:04:09 PM »

I tried to get some answers in Why should anyone believe the earth is flat? « Reply #75 on: March 16, 2016, 11:08:14 PM ».

And how ANYONE can see a full moon in How does a Full Moon appear Full for everyone? « on: April 28, 2016, 08:40:55 AM »

And again in How does a Full Moon appear Full for everyone? « on: April 24, 2016, 01:29:43 AM »

The geometry I interpret from the Wiki for a lunar eclipse is:

Flat Earth Sun, Shadow Object and Lunar Eclipse
I cannot see any possibility of the "Shadow Object" causing ANY shadow on the moon.

The whole "Zetetic" approach seems to be "The earth looks flat so it must be", then guess everything else without a shred of evidence.

I was thinking of your posts when I responded.