Re: Balloon and Camera?
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 05:12:08 PM »
The picture clearly shows a curved horizon.

I'm interested in how you determine how to reach the altitude you want with a balloon
You know the lifting ability of helium. It's fairly easy to calculate the lift based on total weight and amount of helium used and the type of balloon.

I aim for an accent rate of 5 m/s. That way, I ensure that the balloon will actually burst, but not burst too soon, while going as high as possible.

Try this calculator http://habhub.org/calc/

My normal payload is CA 1200g, but the next launch will have an extra camera for raw format images which adds to the weight in both camera and batteries. Probably 1850 g this time.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

Offline Round fact

• Science and math over opinion
    • View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 07:23:33 PM »

I'm interested in how you determine how to reach the altitude you want with a balloon
You know the lifting ability of helium. It's fairly easy to calculate the lift based on total weight and amount of helium used and the type of balloon.

I aim for an accent rate of 5 m/s. That way, I ensure that the balloon will actually burst, but not burst too soon, while going as high as possible.

My normal payload is CA 1200g, but the next launch will have an extra camera for raw format images which adds to the weight in both camera and batteries. Probably 1850 g this time.

Thanks. I was wondering about filling 4 balloons. Fill one as normal the one below that to 80% the one below that to 60%, the next and last to 40%
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 07:49:56 PM by Round fact »

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 02:32:02 PM »

Thanks. I was wondering about filling 4 balloons. Fill one as normal the one below that to 80% the one below that to 60%, the next and last to 40%
For what purpose may I ask?

Also, you don't fill balloons to 100%. Even given the flexibility of the material, the balloon expands quite violently during its ascend :)

Offline Round fact

• View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 02:47:22 PM »

Also, you don't fill balloons to 100%. Even given the flexibility of the material, the balloon expands quite violently during its ascend :)

I would think the system I described would get the most altitude. The 100% just means to fill it as you would a single balloon. The other's below would be expanding and more buoyant by the time the first one pops, and then the second, and so on.

Or am I missing something here?

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 03:56:50 PM »

I would think the system I described would get the most altitude. The 100% just means to fill it as you would a single balloon. The other's below would be expanding and more buoyant by the time the first one pops, and then the second, and so on.

It would only make the lifting ability worse with the added weight of the additional balloons.

The lift doesn't amount to the size of the balloons but the amount of helium they contain. Helium is lighter than the atmosphere so it will keep ascending until there is no more atmosphere. There's an upper limit to the altitude you can gain with helium. You won't go much higher than 40km, the atmosphere is simply too thin.

The amount of helium in the balloon decides how fast the balloon ascents. A lot of helium and the balloon ascents quickly, but pops at a lower altitude (lesser space in the balloon for expansion), too little helium and it ascends slowly, but might not burst at all.

Hydrogen would allow you to go higher, but on a low budget level, hydrogen is dangerous as hell since it reacts with oxygen.

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2016, 06:31:24 PM »
i also see a curve..and is that niburu  ;D

Offline Round fact

• View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2016, 01:09:04 PM »

It would only make the lifting ability worse with the added weight of the additional balloons.

The lift doesn't amount to the size of the balloons but the amount of helium they contain. Helium is lighter than the atmosphere so it will keep ascending until there is no more atmosphere. There's an upper limit to the altitude you can gain with helium. You won't go much higher than 40km, the atmosphere is simply too thin.

The amount of helium in the balloon decides how fast the balloon ascents. A lot of helium and the balloon ascents quickly, but pops at a lower altitude (lesser space in the balloon for expansion), too little helium and it ascends slowly, but might not burst at all.

Hydrogen would allow you to go higher, but on a low budget level, hydrogen is dangerous as hell since it reacts with oxygen.

After a little research on my part I see my mistake. I was mixing ballon types. I was thinking zero pressure balloon and applying to a pressurized one.

Looking online, I haven't found zpb for sale, or at last were prices are listed, which, in my opinion, says the cost is prohibitive at best.

IdentfyThis

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 11:17:57 PM »
so.. what about all the many other videos from the same height and some higher and some lower that shows a 360 degrees view of a perfectly flat horizon? perfectly stable camera just slowly spinning around with a perfectly flat horizon?!

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 11:27:29 PM »
so.. what about all the many other videos from the same height and some higher and some lower that shows a 360 degrees view of a perfectly flat horizon? perfectly stable camera just slowly spinning around with a perfectly flat horizon?!
I can't say. Either they are lower than they claim, or they are zooming thus reducing the field of view.