Re: 2016 US Presidential Race
« Reply #780 on: June 10, 2016, 03:07:36 PM »
which do you think is more likely to elicit a military response from the united states: dead south korean soldiers, or dead american soldiers?

A rational actor would not attack South Korea at all.
if you would take the time to actually read the content of my posts, you'd find that this is the statement i've been disagreeing with for 2 pages now.  rational people can disagree about things.  rational people can make miscalculations.  rational people can be influenced by emotions, ideology, appeals to concepts like justice/retaliation/whatever, etc.  your argument rests on the idea that all rational people see the the same way: the way you see them.  that's not an argument; it's just ego.

please stop pretending that all rational people always agree with each other about what is most rational.  how do you not realize that the implication of that belief is that everyone who disagrees with you is either crazy or just trying to annoy you?

An irrational actor would attack South Korea regardless of US presence. Tell me, what exactly is the US presence supposed to be doing if Kim Jong-un is just a nutter who is willing to get himself and his country destroyed regardless of the consequences?
here's a scenario: without a us presence on the peninsula, the dprk could be more emboldened to attack more south korean ships with sub attacks, or plant more landmines on the sk side of the border, or whatever.  i mean i know a rational actor would not attack south korea at all lol, but setting that aside, suppose south korea gets all pissy and finally decides to hulk out on north korea.  so they get into a bunch of shit, and north korea goes all guerrilla war, and then maybe china or russia or both decide to start materially aiding the dprk and the peninsula is now up to its dick in a new korean war.  or something along those lines.

to be clear, i'm not saying that absolutely 100% would definitely happen in exactly that manner, but it's obviously not hard to think of some scenarios in which a us military presence would be a useful means of de-escalating south korea from going to war.  sunk warships are exactly the kind of event that causes otherwise "rational actors" to make less-than-optimal decisions.

Asking people to pay for a service provided isn't extortion. Other countries can afford extravagant social and education programs because a completely different country is absorbing their defense costs. It's time they pay up a few billion dollars at a time. I mean, it's just "petty cash," right?
right.  compared to our budget, it's small change.  sk isn't fueling their university system by saving $2bln on military expenses, and our healthcare system isn't $2bln away from being top of its class.  so imagine the audacity of actually phoning up an ally and saying, "give us $2bln or we're going to take our security forces and go home."  forget about the utility of the troops: it's just a fucked up thing to do to a nation we call friends.  we've promised to guarantee their security, and keeping us troops there is as much about the gesture as it is anything else.  it signals to both koreas that we are serious about protecting these allies, a signal that probably could have prevented the first korean war.  that was a HUGE contributing factor of the first korean war: sung incorrectly perceived the us to be uninterested in supporting the south because of ambiguous and often downright misleading signaling by the us.

if anything, suddenly bailing from the peninsula makes such miscalculations more likely.

Oh, please. This is just embarrassing.

We'd "cooperate" with North Korea too, if they actually had anything worth having.

i'm not sure why i should be embarrassed to say that russia and the dprk are qualitatively different and do not require identical foreign policies.  i still don't get what russia has to do with whether or not the dprk is a threat to seoul.  ffs the dprk doesn't even have a 'let's try not to nuke each other hotline.'  they don't cooperate on arms control at all.  they regularly threaten to destroy south korea and the us.  they semi-regularly attack and kill south korean military personnel.  we don't trade with them and we actively try to stop them from trading with others.  they're ruled by a dictator with nearly absolute authority.  the list goes on and on...
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

« Reply #781 on: June 10, 2016, 04:37:01 PM »
You guys are arguing over US foreign policy like ANY of it makes sense to begin with. We have done little with our foreign "aid" packages, military presence, covert and overt influences, regime change etc than alienate ourselves from the rest of the World.

By projecting the idea that we know what's good for each and every country and unique culture better than they do, actively undermining sovereignty on a global scale, we've made begrudged allies who would be enemies if they weren't basically reliant on our money. Look at Saudi Arabia... our so called biggest ally in the middle east, let's pretend 911 wasn't a conspiracy, the so called hijackers were Saudi nationals. There is literally no difference between Saudi ideology and ISIS ideology. We pay Islamic Rebels to fight Syria, while simultaneously fighting Islamic Rebels in Iraq. We overthrow Giddafi and let extremists fight over control of Libya. We are allies with Turkey who are actively fighting our main ally in the fight for Iraq, the Kurds.

Please tell me what aspects of US Foreign Policy make any fucking sense to begin with. Until you can you guys are going to argue in circles trying to make heads or tails of it when it is INHERENTLY, by design or due to incompetence, FUBAR to begin with.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 11, 2016, 03:26:27 PM »
if you would take the time to actually read the content of my posts, you'd find that this is the statement i've been disagreeing with for 2 pages now.  rational people can disagree about things.  rational people can make miscalculations.  rational people can be influenced by emotions, ideology, appeals to concepts like justice/retaliation/whatever, etc.  your argument rests on the idea that all rational people see the the same way: the way you see them.  that's not an argument; it's just ego.

please stop pretending that all rational people always agree with each other about what is most rational.  how do you not realize that the implication of that belief is that everyone who disagrees with you is either crazy or just trying to annoy you?

I don't believe someone who can truly be described as "rational" actually exists, but that's beside the point. I'm pointing out that both cases, the US loses and the US forces stationed in South Korea don't affect the outcome. Either DPRK attacks the South or they don't. If Kim Jong-Un is apparently crazy enough to attack at all, then the US forces there won't make a difference. They'll be nuked out of existence and thousands of American men and women would have died for nothing.

here's a scenario: without a us presence on the peninsula, the dprk could be more emboldened to attack more south korean ships with sub attacks, or plant more landmines on the sk side of the border, or whatever.  i mean i know a rational actor would not attack south korea at all lol, but setting that aside, suppose south korea gets all pissy and finally decides to hulk out on north korea.  so they get into a bunch of shit, and north korea goes all guerrilla war, and then maybe china or russia or both decide to start materially aiding the dprk and the peninsula is now up to its dick in a new korean war.  or something along those lines.

to be clear, i'm not saying that absolutely 100% would definitely happen in exactly that manner, but it's obviously not hard to think of some scenarios in which a us military presence would be a useful means of de-escalating south korea from going to war.  sunk warships are exactly the kind of event that causes otherwise "rational actors" to make less-than-optimal decisions.

If the South Koreans value that US presence, then they'll pay for it. Regardless, the escalation scenarios you link are just news outlets grasping for attention. DPRK 'escalates tensions' on a yearly basis and nothing ever happens. The bases don't even go on alert.

if anything, suddenly bailing from the peninsula makes such miscalculations more likely.

That you believe any of these changes would happen 'suddenly' is disturbing.

I'm not sure why i should be embarrassed to say that russia and the dprk are qualitatively different and do not require identical foreign policies.  i still don't get what russia has to do with whether or not the dprk is a threat to seoul.  ffs the dprk doesn't even have a 'let's try not to nuke each other hotline.'  they don't cooperate on arms control at all.  they regularly threaten to destroy south korea and the us.  they semi-regularly attack and kill south korean military personnel.  we don't trade with them and we actively try to stop them from trading with others.  they're ruled by a dictator with nearly absolute authority.  the list goes on and on...

If you don't understand why foreign policies are interconnected then I don't know what to say. These countries are all on the same planet, they don't live in their own bubble worlds.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 14, 2016, 09:04:07 PM »
You guys are arguing over US foreign policy like ANY of it makes sense to begin with. We have done little with our foreign "aid" packages, military presence, covert and overt influences, regime change etc than alienate ourselves from the rest of the World.

By projecting the idea that we know what's good for each and every country and unique culture better than they do, actively undermining sovereignty on a global scale, we've made begrudged allies who would be enemies if they weren't basically reliant on our money. Look at Saudi Arabia... our so called biggest ally in the middle east, let's pretend 911 wasn't a conspiracy, the so called hijackers were Saudi nationals. There is literally no difference between Saudi ideology and ISIS ideology. We pay Islamic Rebels to fight Syria, while simultaneously fighting Islamic Rebels in Iraq. We overthrow Giddafi and let extremists fight over control of Libya. We are allies with Turkey who are actively fighting our main ally in the fight for Iraq, the Kurds.

Please tell me what aspects of US Foreign Policy make any fucking sense to begin with. Until you can you guys are going to argue in circles trying to make heads or tails of it when it is INHERENTLY, by design or due to incompetence, FUBAR to begin with.

Now here is a thing, Truthy; I agree with every word you say through the whole post, never thought that would happen, damn!
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 14, 2016, 09:12:45 PM »
I'm not too upset about the endless wars in the Middle East. If all of those Islamic countries managed to stop fighting each other then they would aggressively attack everyone else. Better that Muslims stay busy killing other Muslims than turning their attention to the infidels.

Once the region is sucked dry of oil, pretty much every first world nation will vacate the area. Saudi Arabia will turn back into a poor stretch of sand that only a hardcore anthropologist or archaeologist could love.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 09:14:41 PM by Rushy »

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: June 15, 2016, 01:29:57 PM »

Quote from: Yes, Minister
Sir Humphrey: Minister, Britain has had the same foreign policy objective for at least the last five hundred years: to create a disunited Europe. In that cause we have fought with the Dutch against the Spanish, with the Germans against the French, with the French and Italians against the Germans, and with the French against the Germans and Italians. Divide and rule, you see. Why should we change now, when it's worked so well?

Simply replace 'Europe' with 'World' and 'Britain' with 'America'

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 15, 2016, 02:23:16 PM »
russia is an ally
Whose? ???

(The correct answer is India, China, Belarus, Iran, Syria)
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #787 on: June 15, 2016, 02:58:16 PM »
russia is an ally
Whose? ???

(The correct answer is India, China, Belarus, Iran, Syria)

and then in my very next post, i said, "fair enough, china and russia aren't technically allies.  if you actually think that the level of cooperation we have with russia and china is an any way indicative of our level of cooperation with the dprk..."

good 1 tho.  very witty.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

« Reply #788 on: June 15, 2016, 07:07:21 PM »

Now here is a thing, Truthy; I agree with every word you say through the whole post, never thought that would happen, damn!

I knew you'd come around  ;)

Quote from: Yes, Minister
Sir Humphrey: Minister, Britain has had the same foreign policy objective for at least the last five hundred years: to create a disunited Europe. In that cause we have fought with the Dutch against the Spanish, with the Germans against the French, with the French and Italians against the Germans, and with the French against the Germans and Italians. Divide and rule, you see. Why should we change now, when it's worked so well?

Simply replace 'Europe' with 'World' and 'Britain' with 'America'

Ordo Ad Chao

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 17, 2016, 04:34:09 PM »
and then in my very next post, i said, "fair enough, china and russia aren't technically allies.  if you actually think that the level of cooperation we have with russia and china is an any way indicative of our level of cooperation with the dprk..."
Oh, hey, I missed that bit. Then again, it's just as wrong as your original claim so I'm not sure what the point is.

Referring to your homeland's biggest adversaries as "not technically allies" is not strictly inaccurate, but it's a choice of words even Fox News would approach with caution.

Countries which actively oppose and try to destabilise the west can be compared. Just because some of them are strong enough to actually be taken seriously doesn't mean that's no longer true.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #790 on: June 19, 2016, 02:21:10 PM »
Oh, hey, I missed that bit. Then again, it's just as wrong as your original claim so I'm not sure what the point is.

Referring to your homeland's biggest adversaries as "not technically allies" is not strictly inaccurate, but it's a choice of words even Fox News would approach with caution.

Countries which actively oppose and try to destabilise the west can be compared. Just because some of them are strong enough to actually be taken seriously doesn't mean that's no longer true.

what you're saying would make perfect sense in 1985

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 20, 2016, 10:58:07 PM »
Some fool tried to grab the pistol out of a cop's hip holster and assassinate Trump. Even better, he had a UK license on him, so he might have flown all the way over here just to make a fool out of himself.

Instances of this happening might increase because Trump's opposition are generally violent nutjobs (see: every protest at his rallies). Hillary's and the media's "Trump is Hitler!" rhetoric certainly isn't helping. Just last week Stephen Colbert drew a "Trump chart" that was quite literally a giant swastika. See Scott Adams' thoughts:

Quote from: Scott Adams
If Clinton successfully pairs Trump with Hitler in your mind – as she is doing – and loses anyway, about a quarter of the country will think it is morally justified to assassinate their own leader. I too would feel that way if an actual Hitler came to power in this country. I would join the resistance and try to take out the Hitler-like leader. You should do the same. No one wants an actual President Hitler.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 11:05:17 PM by Rushy »

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 21, 2016, 02:45:04 AM »
That's insane, Trump is nothing like Hitler!  Hitler came into power by playing on the nationalistic fears and prejudices of his country's people, while completely ostracizing and even targeting multiple specific demographics within his own population...

Umm.  :-\

Oh wait...  :(

Well we can always hope he doesn't win the presidency, anyway.  Then there would be no need to assassinate him.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #793 on: June 21, 2016, 03:46:01 AM »
Trump's opposition are generally violent nutjobs

i genuinely love how strongly trump's rhetorical tactics have influenced your own.

George

« Reply #794 on: June 21, 2016, 03:50:55 AM »
Also, Trump bears no responsibility for any violence at his rallies, despite his repeated calls for his followers to use force against people who shouldn't be there and his promise that he'll pay any legal bills they accrue; however, it's totally the fault of Hillary and the media when some guy tries to assassinate Trump.  Very consistent.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: June 21, 2016, 01:02:12 PM »

i genuinely love how strongly trump's rhetorical tactics have influenced your own.

Hmm, or maybe it's possible that they're violent nutjobs. Republican candidates undergo assassination attempts much more often than democratic ones do.

Name a Bernie or Hillary rally shut down by violent Republicans. Trump has accrued five shutdowns so far. "Trump says we're violent, dangerous, and should be deported. Let's show him who's boss by being violent and dangerous!"

Also, Trump bears no responsibility for any violence at his rallies, despite his repeated calls for his followers to use force against people who shouldn't be there and his promise that he'll pay any legal bills they accrue; however, it's totally the fault of Hillary and the media when some guy tries to assassinate Trump.  Very consistent.

"You're making me do this! I HAVE to be this violent!"

Rama Set

« Reply #796 on: June 21, 2016, 02:03:15 PM »

Hmm, or maybe it's possible that they're violent nutjobs. Republican candidates undergo assassination attempts much more often than democratic ones do.

Maybe Republicans are bigger assholes?

Name a Bernie or Hillary rally shut down by violent Republicans. Trump has accrued five shutdowns so far. "Trump says we're violent, dangerous, and should be deported. Let's show him who's boss by being violent and dangerous!"

Not all of Trump's rallies were shutdown by violence, some of them were shutdown because he was scared there would be violence.  Is a leader who is scared of breaking a few eggs really going to make America great again?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 21, 2016, 02:05:21 PM »
Not all of Trump's rallies were shutdown by violence, some of them were shutdown because he was scared there would be violence.  Is a leader who is scared of breaking a few eggs really going to make America great again?

"Not all of them were shutdown by violence, some were shut down just by the threat of violence!"

Am I in some kind of parody universe?

Rama Set

« Reply #798 on: June 21, 2016, 02:30:48 PM »

"Not all of them were shutdown by violence, some were shut down just by the threat of violence!"

Am I in some kind of parody universe?

Sorry I wasn't aware they were the same thing.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 21, 2016, 02:35:48 PM »
Weird how leftists think a presidential candidate shouldn't be concerned about the safety of his supporters