Question About Plotting Courses on a Flat Earth
« on: November 28, 2018, 06:19:22 PM »
Hi there,
I've been investigating Flat Earth, and I'm interested in conducting a test of the accuracy of the globe and flat models. I can't find detailed enough versions of the flat version of the Earth to really conduct proper measurements and chart a course, but I just wanted to ask if I've charted the most direct possible path across the two models, so I know which routes to test.

Cape Town to Melbourne isn't necessarily the best path to test - There's a direct flight from Johannesburg to Perth for example - but I haven't found a detailed enough Flat Earth map to be able to properly measure the distances between places the way you can with google Earth. Are there some more detailed maps I could access somewhere to use for this test?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Pinky

• View Profile
Re: Question About Plotting Courses on a Flat Earth
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 07:54:49 AM »
Hi there,
I've been investigating Flat Earth, and I'm interested in conducting a test of the accuracy of the globe and flat models. I can't find detailed enough versions of the flat version of the Earth to really conduct proper measurements and chart a course, but I just wanted to ask if I've charted the most direct possible path across the two models, so I know which routes to test.

Cape Town to Melbourne isn't necessarily the best path to test - There's a direct flight from Johannesburg to Perth for example - but I haven't found a detailed enough Flat Earth map to be able to properly measure the distances between places the way you can with google Earth. Are there some more detailed maps I could access somewhere to use for this test?

Thanks in advance!

I once proposed a similar experiment:
You pick two random locations A and B on the same latitude high up north and measure their distance in East-West-direction.
Then you pick two random locations C and D on the same latitude deep south and measure their distance in East-West-direction.

If FE is true, the distance AB is smaller than on the SE-map and the distance CD is larger than on the SE-map.

For example, according to the SE-map of Google Earth, the distance from Capetown to Port Elizabeth should be 660 km.