Yaakov ben Avraham

And on an interesting little sidenote...
« on: January 14, 2014, 08:59:43 AM »
So, not to be the one to bring up the question of the VERY large pink elephant sleeping in the Forum, but when our friend EJ returns to our pleasant little corner of cyber-space, how do we handle that situation? You all have probably figured out that he has been banned for ninety days on the other forum, primarily for anti-Semitic attacks against me... To put it bluntly, he doesn't seem to have much in the way of diplomacy, nor does he seem to learn much from being banned, so... anybody got any ideas? I sure don't. I don't want to see him banned again, since these forums are obviously important to him. At the same time, I give as good as I get, and I have no compunctions about tearing him apart when he opens himself up for it. My recommendation is that we have this discussion while he's not here, and then delete it before he gets back, unless the administrators think there is good reason for him to see it.

Personally, and I don't want to sound brutal, but I think the boy needs to see a psychiatrist. Anyone who says that the Flat Earth Society is what he gets up for in the morning, and seems overly preoccupied with being bullied by others, can't be too stable, in my opinion. I don't know quite what to think about him, really. Aside from the fact that he isn't that bright, but then, some might think the same about me, so that is a matter of opinion. Anyway, I think you all see the point I am trying to make. We are going to have to deal the lad one way or another when he gets back, and chances are, the dealing won't be pleasant. It might be good to have a course of action planned for when it becomes necessary. Any thoughts on this?

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: And on an interesting little sidenote...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 09:14:35 AM »
Anything he has done on the other site should not be held against him on this site.  However, he is currently serving a 30 ban for for flipping out on this site.  If he comes back and starts doing the same thing here, he will likely get a similar ban from this site. 

I honestly do not think he is an unintelligent person.  In fact, I think he tries too hard to make himself look dumb.  Nobody could have that many misspellings unless they did it on purpose.

Also, I don't think we should delete this thread.  If we are going to talk about him in public, then we should all be men enough to say what we will knowing that EJ will read it. 

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:16:18 AM »
Permaban the irritating little troll on the first sign that he hasn't changed. (i.e. the first post he'll make on coming back.)

Thork

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 09:32:54 AM »
Frankly I'd like to see this kind of cyber-bullying jumped on by the mods.

If he breaks the rules, the mods will deal with it. Having people making hate threads like this is unpleasant and should not be tolerated on these forums. Everyone is welcome as long as they stay within the rules. Even me. You are ruining the experience for him. That's not fair.

There is an ignore function for you to use if you dislike a particular user, but this kind of thread needs to stop.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:35:38 AM by Thork »

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 09:35:44 AM »
Well, JROA has a point. What he said or did on the other site is there, and needs to be left there. I won't argue that. As for him not being intelligent, I have met people who are intelligent, and simply cannot figure out the orthography of the English language (my own father being one of them), although I must admit that EJ is the worst case I've seen so far. My estimates of his intelligence, or the lack thereof, comes from the whole "African-American" thing applying even to men like Nelson Mandela, and that kind of thing. I do see your point, JROA, about being men enough to let EJ read what we write. If we don't want it read, we ought not say it.

GHOST SPAGHETTI, as to permabanning him, ordinarily, I would be inclined to agree with you. My only concern about doing that is that I think he is possibly very unstable mentally. Seeing as he has said that the Flat Earth Society is the only reason he gets up in the morning (on one occasion he even said it was all he had left in life) I fear he might do something to himself if he were permabanned. I really don't want to hear about him on the nightly news. Something like "19-year-old boy shoots self in head, parents say Flat Earth Society to blame, film at 11.00".

I know people think he is a troll. If I understand the term correctly, an Internet troll is a person of average or above average intelligence who deliberately provokes others by acting the fool on the Internet. I know that some have even accused him of being an alt of me, or me of him! Rest assured, that is NOT the case. I couldn't clobber the English language that badly if I tried to and were paid to.

But I do wonder if he is a troll. Personally, I don't think that that is the case. I think that he is not a troll. Rather, I think he is an idiot. But, regardless of my personal opinion of the boy (and I know there are people on this site who have similar opinions of me, so there you are), he still is a human being. I don't want something horrible to happen. Am I making any sense, or...?

Ok, Thork, fair enough. That is why I recommended that we might delete the thread before he reads it. But that's as may be. I am not trying to be abusive. I am trying to possibly point out an issue that, unless I miss my guess, could turn into something very serious.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 12:31:18 PM »
I suggest we all just ignore him.
The Mastery.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but how does one ignore a member?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 12:45:54 PM »
there's an Ignore List somewhere in your profile options, just type his name there
The Mastery.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »
Alternatively, just don't reply to his obvious trolling. It's not that hard. Just don't reply to him.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 12:50:31 PM »
I do not see the ignore function in my profile section. I am on a computer also. How odd. I do not wish to use it at the moment, but I would like to know where it is.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
Alternatively, just don't reply to his obvious trolling. It's not that hard. Just don't reply to him.
It's easier on the eyes to see a "You are ignoring this user" message in all his posts.

I do not see the ignore function in my profile section. I am on a computer also. How odd. I do not wish to use it at the moment, but I would like to know where it is.
It might be different depending on which theme you are using, but on the Core Theme, which I use, you go to Modify Profile>Buddies/Ignore list>Edit ignore list.

EDIT: Just checked with the default theme, and it seems to be in exactly the same place.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:55:34 PM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 12:59:29 PM »
Aha. There it is. Just took a little searching. Sorry about that. Well, if I don't feel like a Yutz.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 01:01:11 PM »
Did I just help a jew? Welp.
The Mastery.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 01:02:40 PM »
You did indeed just help one of the Tribe.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 01:04:33 PM »
I'm going to Hel for this.
The Mastery.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 01:06:29 PM »
beardo is just Hebrew impaired.  Besides, beardo, all Jews are Jewish-Americans.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »
Don't start, JROA! Besides, we're American Jews. Even the ones born in Israel.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 01:15:15 PM »
Well, now that my computer guru has corrected the worst of my computer problems and gone to bed, it is time for me to call a cab and get my happy ass to bed. I am tired. I have a dissertation to work on later today., I shall come back online later this afternoon. See you then, and will reply to further comments then.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »
What is the subject of your dissertation? 

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 01:19:24 PM »
Frankly I'd like to see this kind of cyber-bullying jumped on by the mods.

If he breaks the rules, the mods will deal with it. Having people making hate threads like this is unpleasant and should not be tolerated on these forums. Everyone is welcome as long as they stay within the rules. Even me. You are ruining the experience for him. That's not fair.

There is an ignore function for you to use if you dislike a particular user, but this kind of thread needs to stop.

I predict he'll be back less than a day before he starts his shenanigans again. If I'm wrong, feel free to give me a month's ban for bullying.

The ignore button would be fine if everyone ignored him. As it is, he's fed by the rest of TFES so whole threads become devoted to his nonsense, an ignore button won't work then.

@ Yaakov: As for his mental instability, if he has it, we might be doing him more harm than good by enabling his psychotic posting. If you honestly believe that he's mentally ill then stop baiting him, stop endlessly correcting his English and stop replying to his angry rants. However, I believe there is more of troll than Tausk about him.